PDA

View Full Version : s&w barrel replacement

abraxian
August 13, 2010, 09:04 AM
Had a gunsmith remove K-38 barrel but I had purchased the wrong replacement. I now have the correct barrel and wonder if there is anything particular I need to know about replacing it myself. It's a pinned barrel and it looks to me like all I need to do is screw it in and replace the pin. ????????
S&W armorer help!!!!

Dfariswheel
August 13, 2010, 08:06 PM
There's WAAAAAY more then just screwing it in.

First, the front sight will almost certainly not line up properly.
You have to use a lathe to trim the barrel shoulder so it lines up properly after the barrel is torqued in place.

A special gunsmith's barrel vise is used to hold the barrel, and a special frame wrench with polymer inserts to fit the S&W "K" frame is used to torque the barrel in place.
Then, the pin hole has to be re-drilled VERY carefully.

After that, a very expensive cutting tool that works down the bore is used to cut the rear of the barrel to set barrel/cylinder gap.

Then another special cutter tool that works down the bore is used to re-cut the forcing cone in the rear of the barrel.
A special precision plug gage is used to gage the outer mouth of the cone to make sure it's the proper spec.

After precision cutting, another special tool that works down the bore is used with valve grinding compound to lap the cone smooth.

Best advice, either find a REALLY good gunsmith or better still, send the gun in to S&W to get it done right.

abraxian
August 14, 2010, 07:46 AM
WOW!!!...............enough said

vainmonkey
February 5, 2011, 04:20 PM
Hello Dfariswheel,
Your answer came up when I was google searching a replacement barrel for my S&W. I was wondering about the process just as abraxian was. I just wanted to say thank you for writing such a great response. It was so complete and explanatory, seriously thanks. People like you that take the time to educate others instead of belittling them as idiots are in short-supply. You've convinced me to just contact S&W about it.
Take Care.

Dfariswheel
February 5, 2011, 09:36 PM
A wise decision.

I got awfully tired of explaining that I couldn't repair guns that were ruined by attempts to re-barrel with "expedient" tools like hammer handles through the frame window.

Whatever S&W charges it's less than buying a new gun.