PDA

View Full Version : Browning A5

lamarw
August 12, 2010, 07:37 PM
I have an itch for a Browning A5. After a little research I have decided I either want one from my birth year or a Pre-WWII gun. (Not too many years difference - LOL) It would not be the Remington years.

I have the data to know all the SN information. My question is whether there should be a concern about swapping around of parts so you end up with a marriage vs. an original gun. Is this a concern with this model gun?

I am not looking for a hunting gun but rather a semi-collectible piece (not looking for an investment) for my own enjoyment - in the rack so to speak.

Any advice or research recommendations would be much appreciated.

BigJimP
August 13, 2010, 03:03 PM
On a collectible gun / you want all the parts as original as possible ...especially the receiver, barrel, stock and forend / and you want the original finish on the wood and metal ( never refinished). Major parts in the action / like the bolt - should be original as well ...and the screws shouldn't be all " buggered up" ...no rust, no pitting ...no big dings ...

You can replace maintenance items - like springs of course - that is expected ...

But a "collectors" Auto 5 ....from the 40's ...you're going to find a lot of "beaters" and not too many collectables. I would suggest you shop Cabelas - and see what they have on their website / their gun rooms have some pretty nice guns usually. I'm not an Auto 5 officianado / although its the gun of my youth ...some things are better left in my youth ...( like leisure suits ! ) ;) / but you should buy what you want - and have fun with the search ! For a true "collectors gun" in very good shape from the 40's / I think you'll have to pay $ 750 - $ 1,000 and maybe more / when you find one. Good luck.

BigJimP
August 13, 2010, 03:15 PM
I looked at Cabelas gun library - and they only have 2 / neither of which would qualify at the age or collector category for what you said you wanted.

I looked at gunbroker - and they have quite a few / some as high as $2,000 ---but I don't know enough about the auto 5 to tell from the photos how old some of them are. There are some that look pretty clean / safe queens ...but you'll have to get serial numbers, etc from sellers to really tell.

Gunbroker makes me a little nervous / you can't really inspect a gun before you buy it ...and not all the sellers on there are legitimate. There was a dealer I found selling some high end 1911's - that appeared to be fraudulent listings / and unless you can hold an older gun in your hands and really inspect it ...its a long shot in my opinion.

jaguarxk120
August 13, 2010, 07:57 PM
Go to www.shotgunworld.com they have some of the most knowledgeable people there. The forsale section is very good as your dealing with members and not dealers. The few dealers that sell are regulars and on the site all the time.

lamarw
August 17, 2010, 11:01 PM
Thank you Gentlemen. I have one coming to me. From the pictures, it looks like it will meet my desires including a lot of Character.

I will let you know later how I made out with the role of the dice. Not much invested, so not too much to lose.

gotigers
August 18, 2010, 07:15 AM
I have a '51 A-5 that has been in my family since new. IT has been well loved and used for hunting. So, it is no collectable, but it is a great gun. enjoy

lamarw
August 24, 2010, 06:32 PM
I received the gun today, and I am a happy camper. The gun is in relatively good shape, and all the serial numbers match (forearm, receiver, stock, barrel and the large screws). The serial number 170373 dates the gun to 1930.

There are a couple of dents in the stock and a crack that runs about 1/3 the length of the forearm. The crack is tight and apppears to of been repaired at one point.

The bluing, or absence thereof, shows the guns age but no rust. The horn butt plate is worn but solid and correct for the gun.

Overall, the gun is what I was seeking and at a modest cost of $300.00. Thanks for the advice and support.

ARDogman
August 25, 2010, 10:11 AM
Nice. Can't balk at $300. Pix?