PDA

View Full Version : RRA Option - questions

briang2ad
August 11, 2010, 11:54 AM
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=464

What is the downside of this AR? (Specials always leave a question in my mind).

I've heard that a carbine length rail has some draw backs. Huh?

I guess that the barrel is NOT standard M4?

Seems like a nice AR. Comments?

Thanks.

Technosavant
August 11, 2010, 12:50 PM
The only thing about it that would give me pause is that the barrel does not appear to be chrome lined (a 1:9 twist chrome moly barrel screams "inexpensive barrel" to me). On a $1000 rifle I would expect chrome lining. Weird that the BCG is chromed, the barrel isn't.

There's another discussion regarding midlength vs. carbine length gas systems, but the carbine length works fine.

Looks like not a bad rifle, but a couple weird choices from RRA in it (mainly the barrel). It should work just fine, but I wouldn't recommend trying steel cased ammo in it (in my experience, unchromed chambers tend to get steel ammo to stick in there), but if you're looking for a competent rifle for plinking and defense, it should be fine.

thesheepdog
August 11, 2010, 01:07 PM
A nice rifle, but chrome is recommended if you plan on shooting crappy ammo.

DanThaMan1776
August 11, 2010, 01:57 PM
I own said rifle.. and have never experiences problems of ANY kind with it. I have shot several hundred rounds of wolf, but otherwise go with PMC bronze.

Like Sheepdog said, as a rule chrome is more reliable than moly.. but in RRA's case I have NEVER had an issue with it, and my rifle has been to hell and back in the carbine courses and marksmanship courses I have put it through in the worst weather.

thesheepdog
August 11, 2010, 02:07 PM
Dan is right, RRA makes a very solid rifle platform.

briang2ad
August 11, 2010, 04:11 PM
OK - what i WASP coated???

thesheepdog
August 11, 2010, 04:20 PM
It's a propietary coating that is supposed to be better than chrome lining in all aspects.

smoakingun
August 11, 2010, 04:55 PM
that is a fine rifle, carbine length hand guard too short? that is a matter of prefrence. I prefer the mid length (you have to have the 16 inch barrel anyway, why not have the extra handguard?). standard m4 barrel is 14 inches, that requires special permission from uncle sam, so no, that is not a standard m4 barrel. Chrome lined barrel? Why? if you plan to neglect, abuse, use corrosive ammo in, or otherwise submit your rifle to the rigors of combat, a chrome lined barrel is not going to extend the service life of your rifle.

briang2ad
August 11, 2010, 08:22 PM
I guess the only down side I see is the 8 LBS. The S&W carbines I see are all in the 6.5 ball park.