PDA

View Full Version : The T-34 tank of the pistol world.

Super-Dave
August 10, 2010, 05:45 PM
I went and fired 300 rounds today through a new Ruger P95

I did not even clean or lube the P95. It came straight from the box. I used federal and remington 115 grain fmj and 115 jhp.

It ran flawlessly. I fired it with my left and then my right hand. I fired it upside down. I fired it gansta style. I fired it with just my trigger finger and thumb. I tried every thing to get it to ftf. It just kept on running. I tried my best to limp wrist it but it just kept on going.

Not one single problem with this gun uncleaned, unlubed straight from the box.

It has a huge frame and thick polymer compared to modern pistols. Its larger than most .45's but it is well built.

It feels like a tank and never fails. It is the best $300.00 pistol you can buy.

If you run out of bullets you could use it for a war hammer. I am sure you could use it to hammer nails.

Sgt.Saputo
August 10, 2010, 06:05 PM
Lets see some pics :D.

Super-Dave
August 10, 2010, 06:15 PM
I used to have an account on photobucket until they closed it. I guess they don't allow gun photos.

Where do you guys upload your pictures to? I wont do facebook or myspace thats just not for me. Well for those of you needing a factory photo here it is

http://ruger.com/products/p95/models.html

Here is its cousing except in green.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Char_T-34.jpg

North Bender
August 10, 2010, 06:20 PM
I use Photobucket almost weekly to post gun photos.

Super-Dave
August 10, 2010, 06:22 PM
Mine was shut down years ago becasue they said I could not have gun photos.

Mainly AR15 photos and parts. I used to buy and sell parts using paypal and ar15.com in their EE forums.

Sgt.Saputo
August 10, 2010, 06:22 PM
Just attach the picture files from your computer.....

S&W Kinda Guy
August 10, 2010, 06:23 PM
Congrads on getting a solid gun.

I upload my gun pictures on Photo Bucket. There is also Image Shack.

varoadking
August 10, 2010, 06:28 PM
It is the best $300.00 pistol you can buy.

Quite the limb you crawled out on there... ;)

ZeSpectre
August 10, 2010, 06:37 PM
I did not even clean or lube the P95. It came straight from the box.

It sounds like you are proud of that. :eek:

I don't think I'll ever understand anyone who would take a firearm out of a box and start using it without a take-down, cleanup, inspection, and lube.

CajunBass
August 10, 2010, 07:10 PM
I've got a few hundred pictures of my guns on Photobucket. I never heard a word about them.

To the OP. Congratulations on the Ruger.

Kreyzhorse
August 10, 2010, 07:25 PM
I did not even clean or lube the P95. It came straight from the box

After 300 rounds today, it deserves a good clean and lube job.

Congrats on the Ruger.

spacecoast
August 10, 2010, 07:33 PM
Funny... I knew what you were talking about even before I opened the thread. Mine has been flawless through almost 1200 rounds.

kozak6
August 11, 2010, 02:47 AM
I would think the T-34 of the pistol world would be a Tokarev :D.

We have a stainless P89 kicking around. It's impressively beefy for a 9mm.

blkmoon
August 11, 2010, 03:14 AM
I can never put my life in danger like that. I always tear mine down before and after a range session.
Congrats on the new P95. My neighbor has one and he loves it. Glad you do to.

Super-Dave
August 11, 2010, 09:59 AM
The reason I did not clean and lube it first is that all of the awesome reviews this thing has had. I figured I would try my best to make it not function. Any way it has been cleaned lightly oiled and ready to go.

And out of all the pistols I have bought in the last 25 years it is absolutely the best I have ever bought for under $300.00

I have tried keltecs. Rossi, Taurus, Grendel, Bersa, Lorcin, Hi-point all of which were bought for under $300.00 new.(I bought these for a glove compartment gun) None of them come close to the quality and reliability of the Ruger P95

I do stand by my statement that you cannot buy a better gun brand new for under $300.00. (NOt talking law enforcement discount or something like that).

ducktapehero
August 11, 2010, 11:19 AM
I would think the T-34 of the pistol world would be a TokarevI would agree with that, or perhaps the Makarov.

schmeky
August 11, 2010, 11:36 AM
I find it interesting that the Ruger P series are nearly all MIM. The reason Ruger can sell these so cheap is because they need very little machining. Parts come out of the MIM process properly sized and finished. Everyone always comments on how reliable, rugged, and durable the P series are.

Put an MIM part in a 1911 and folks flip out. To the OP, congratulations on a great pistol, it will serve you well.

darkgael
August 11, 2010, 01:58 PM
T34 - that Ruger....sounds like a good gun.
As to the T34, I'd go with the Makarov.

Photobucket - gun pics are all that I have in my PB albums.
As to cleaning, etc and putting my life in danger if I don't clean. It's a problematic idea. At what point does a frearm become unreliable when it being used and not cleaned? Evidently the Ruger was reliable enough to fire six boxes of ammo.
I don't remember the last time that I cleaned the Makarov -- it just keeps going.
Pete

velocette
August 11, 2010, 02:14 PM
:DI agree, the Ruger P95 is big, clunky and stone cold reliable. It appears to be essentially unbreakable, unstoppable. It ain't pretty nor svelte and trim, but for the reasons you carry a .45 its all there and will never desert you.

However, a prom queen it'll never be. Kind'a like that 60's song about make an ugly woman your wife. Yeahhh she's ugly but she sure can cook!

Roger :-)

demigod
August 11, 2010, 02:28 PM
I find it interesting that the Ruger P series are nearly all MIM. The reason Ruger can sell these so cheap is because they need very little machining. Parts come out of the MIM process properly sized and finished. Everyone always comments on how reliable, rugged, and durable the P series are.

Rugers seem to hold up fairly well for how cheaply they're made. Investment casting is their core competence and the reason they have their niche in the firearms realm.

People too often mistake the Girth of a ruger firearm for strength. Generally they're beefier guns due to the LACK of strength in ruger's manufacturing process/design.

I'd hardly call anything ruger makes "the T-34" of any catagory. Don't get me wrong... I'm not anti Ruger. I own multiple ruger guns. But they are what they are... and they're strictly recreational firearms for me.

publius
August 11, 2010, 06:43 PM
My P94 is the only autoloader I have that has NEVER malfunctioned. No matter what I have fed it or when I cleaned it last, it always works.

30-30remchester
August 11, 2010, 07:20 PM
300 rounds sounds like a good start. When you have passed 25,000 rounds it will be interesting hearing a report on its performance. It is ordinary to shoot 500,000 rounds from trap and skeet guns, this gives you some real endurence tests.

Super-Dave
August 11, 2010, 07:33 PM
So what yall are saying is that Rugers are so cheap because they are made by illegal aliens from South America working in Mexican sweat shops?

And the reason they are so thick is that they are made with cheap prosesses and metal like the Hi-Point?

kozak6
August 11, 2010, 08:24 PM
Watch out there Dave, as someone is likely to misunderstand you :D.

Just how much weaker are cast parts? There's really a lot made of cast parts vs forged parts in the firearm world, but few metallurgists among us.

Also, does Ruger do much MIM stuff? I thought their game was investment casting. At any rate, if they do, they seem to at least have the courtesy to do it correctly. Although they have a lot of recalls, I don't hear about Rugers breaking.

300 rounds sounds like a good start. When you have passed 25,000 rounds it will be interesting hearing a report on its performance. It is ordinary to shoot 500,000 rounds from trap and skeet guns, this gives you some real endurence tests.

Comparing the reliability of a several thousand dollar low pressure single shot to a $300 semiautomatic pistol is a rather interesting comparison to make.

I know there's been a lot of Glock endurance testing, but curiously enough, I don't think I've ever seen a Ruger endurance test.

The guide rod in our P89 is surprisingly beat up, and we haven't shot it that much. I wonder if that's something to be concerned with.

30-30remchester
August 11, 2010, 08:31 PM
When I was talking endurence test, this has nothing to do with my opinion as every firearms should be designed to handle the pressure that the cartridge they are chambered for. I wasnt slamming this mans gun I was interested in how it will hold up to thousands of rounds. I am not a fan of cast metal but will admit that Rugers are supposed to be tough. So few guns are actually shot very much. I have a model 12 trap gun that has been shot weekly for 60 years.

sserdlihc
August 11, 2010, 08:38 PM
I used to have an account on photobucket until they closed it. I guess they don't allow gun photos.

I have got a good many pictures on photobucket of guns, never had a problem. Are you sure that you didn't have pictures of something else on there?;) JK! But it does make you say, hmmmm? There are so many members that use Photobucket on TFL, it doesn't make sense that they would shut yours down.

LanceOregon
August 12, 2010, 01:38 AM
I have got a good many pictures on photobucket of guns, never had a problem. Are you sure that you didn't have pictures of something else on there? JK! But it does make you say, hmmmm? There are so many members that use Photobucket on TFL, it doesn't make sense that they would shut yours down.

Claims like that don't fly at all in my book either. I have all kinds of gun photos on photobucket.

Sounds to me that he is just making an excuse, for whatever reason.

There are so many easy to use free photo websites, that excuses like this are simply not valid for anyone to claim. Besides Photobucket, there is Flickr, Google's Picassa, Webshots, Fotki, and TinyPic, just to name some of the top ones.

-

Mosin44az
August 12, 2010, 01:42 AM
I guessed it was the P95 also. Fantastic reliability and durability. Also shoots well, very comfortable with +P.

darkgael
August 12, 2010, 02:19 PM
So what yall are saying is that Rugers are so cheap because they are made by illegal aliens from South America working in Mexican sweat shops?

And the reason they are so thick is that they are made with cheap prosesses and metal like the Hi-Point?

Who said that? Where? When?
Musta missed it.
Pete

Super-Dave
August 12, 2010, 04:53 PM
(see thread 17, 20)

The turret and most other parts of the T-34 were cast molded. This decreased the cost of manufacturing and decreased the time to manufacture.

German tanks were mostly plates welded and riveted together. Much more expensive and time consuming to make.

Sometimes MIM or cast molding works.

LanceOregon
August 15, 2010, 01:54 AM
Ah, so no photos were ever posted showing the pistol.

Sometimes the lack of a picture can say a thousand words about a subject too.

-