PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove the front sight on a Super Blackhawk?

RickE
August 9, 2010, 06:31 PM
I would like to put a set of Williams bright sights om my Ruger 7.5" (non hunter) Blackhawk, but can't see any way to remove the front blade sight. One member said there is a little pin to push in. None to be seen. It is about 10-12 years old.

Dfariswheel
August 9, 2010, 07:06 PM
As I recall, the Super Blackhawk front sight is permanently brazed on the barrel with a high temp brazing alloy.
This means it's not removable.

Some Ruger revolvers like the Redhawk have a front sight blade that can be removed by pressing a small pin.

Here's Brownell's Ruger section showing exploded view of the guns.
This shows the Super Blackhawk with the permanently attached sight.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/mid=109/schematics/Ruger_

RickE
August 9, 2010, 09:25 PM
Dfariswheel, thank you, I knew it was not as described on the one posting.

DnPRK
August 9, 2010, 10:44 PM
The front sight blades on the stainless versions are held in place by a tiny roll pin.

mete
August 10, 2010, 05:40 AM
The ss models used to be brazed on .I had someone ask me if I could repair one that had come off because of poor brazing. I told him yes but I couldn't garantee accuracy afterward.Ruger brazed them in a furnace.

dahermit
August 11, 2010, 09:17 AM
As I recall, the Super Blackhawk front sight is permanently brazed on the barrel with a high temp brazing alloy.
This means it's not removable.Silver Solder (high temp). The sight may be removed but the heat required will burn off the bluing in that area.