PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

thesheepdog
August 2, 2010, 09:39 AM
Hey guys.

Need some help.

I am going to buy me a 6.5 Grendel die set this week, and some 7.62X39 brass as well. My question is, will the AA/Lee die set do the job to size some X39 brass? Or will I need some other tools as well.

I shot about 15 rounds yesterday to zero the rifle so I have some actual Grendel brass to load. Since my .223 reloading supplies (powder, primers) are the same as the load for 6.5, I plan on loading up a "general purpose" load this week, using the X39 to cut down on costs.

Also, I kind of got screwed with the barrel I have on my upper (bad product description from MidwayUsa) and my feed ramps are "rifle" and not "M4"-sucks to find out after shooting the rifle. So, my VLTOR MUR-1A receiver doesn't match up well and causes a FTF every 3rd round due to the mismatched feed ramp. Since I like the barrel and my receiver, I plan on just "modifying" my feed ramps into "wider" M4 feedramps. Has anyone ever tried this before? I did a little bit of that lastnight after getting back from the range and loaded 3 rounds in my mag, racked the bolt back all 3 times, and not FTF. I still plan on making the job complete, so I don't have to worry about anything. But what do I risk?
Let's say you have matching ramps and extensions (M4-M4), would it hurt to open up the feed ramps slightly, to make a bigger feed channel, since you're running a bigger bullet in an AR? I know the Grendel functions flawlessly in most Ar-15's, but am just curious if about those feed ramps and a bigger bullet.

Thanks guys.