PDA

View Full Version : scope problem or me

mxreloader
August 1, 2010, 07:58 PM
went shooting after work with my .22 its been sitting for a while so i thought time to shoot a little bit, when i put it away i could easily get shots in a one ince pattern at 50yds. today i couldnt get my scope to adjust far enough left. is that me or did the scope get knocked around an somehow brokw or what?

DnPRK
August 1, 2010, 08:34 PM
Too many details are missing...
Brand/model of scope.
Type of scope mount and rings.

One troubleshooting method is to swap the questionable scope with another scope that is known to be good.

mxreloader
August 1, 2010, 09:13 PM
simions 8point scope.

Bud Helms
August 1, 2010, 09:19 PM
I assume we are talking about a rifle, so here we go ...

mxreloader
August 1, 2010, 09:21 PM
jus a cheap set of mounts and rings..idk what they are

madcratebuilder
August 2, 2010, 08:42 AM
Loose mount, rings or bad scope. I've had a few Simions in the past, they tend to move around internally.

mxreloader
August 2, 2010, 08:48 AM
they are a cheap set of mounts and rings but their tight..maybe its just time to ask for a new scope

Kreyzhorse
August 2, 2010, 11:10 AM
I'd go scope and mount shopping myself as I'd guess your Simmons gave up on you.

Doyle
August 2, 2010, 11:36 AM
I'd guess your Simmons gave up on you.

Not at all uncommon. The only scope Simmons makes that I would consider is the Aetec. I have see a one of their other scopes that would hold zero.

mxreloader
August 2, 2010, 11:38 AM
so what scope i get? only on a .22 so its not like ill be shooting a long ways with it

boredelmo
August 2, 2010, 02:10 PM
I've seen some good things about Tasco.

DnPRK
August 2, 2010, 02:15 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=149715

Doyle
August 2, 2010, 03:08 PM
I've seen some good things about Tasco.

Only in Tasco's literature will you find good things said about them.

Mobuck
August 2, 2010, 03:24 PM
IMHO, your rifle's taken a hit during storage. Even the cheaper Simmons scopes are unlikely to autonomously realign with Jupiter while propped in the corner.

kiwi56
August 2, 2010, 03:43 PM
I hav to agree about Tasco, the glass on mine was real crap and that was one of their world class line . I also made the mistake of replacing my old Bisley fixed 40x spotting scope with Tasco 15-45x and it was a step Backwards I had no problem seeing 223 bullet holes at 200yards with the Bisley but couldn't even see them throught the Tasco at 100yards in fact at 100 it was even struggling to see 308 holes. I don't know if there glass has improved from there association with Bushnell but personally it is a case of never buying another product with the Tasco brand name on it. Soeone else also said the only place you find good things said about Tasco is on their literature and I tend to agree.

boredelmo
August 2, 2010, 04:29 PM
hm, maybe I've been fooled but this scope has gotten fairly good reviews and an OpticsPlanet award for best value. I don't have any first hand experience with one, but it was on my radar for my next .22

http://www.opticsplanet.net/tasco-6-24x42-targetvarmint.html

mxreloader
August 2, 2010, 06:42 PM
that one doesnt look to bad...has anyone used one?

Doyle
August 2, 2010, 07:21 PM
Boredelmo, there are 2 problems with that scope:

1. It's a Tasco. Do a little more research and you'll see what I'm talking about.

2. There is absolutely no reason to put that power scope on a .22 rifle. You'll never need anything more than 9x anyway (more than 6x is really kind of wasted on a .22) and the weight of that beast would so outbalance that .22 that you'd be very uncomfortable shooting it.

mxreloader
August 3, 2010, 09:03 AM
yes keep in mind its a .22 rimfire not a .222 .223 or a .22-250 or anything like that

hooligan1
August 3, 2010, 09:20 AM
Try to find yourself an old Weaver K4, That scopes' a perfect match for a good .22 rifle.. You will pay for quality!!! None of these bargain basement scopes you see any more are very reliable.... So make yourself happy dude!.. I have rifles in my house with Simmons scopes on them, 3 to be exact, and one of them may have a problem, but that's another thread!. happy shootin dude!

Thanks for coming!:cool:

mxreloader
August 3, 2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks, the only reason there was a simmions on it is because it was on it when it was give to me.. but thanks for the advice

Scorch
August 3, 2010, 09:35 AM
For a cheap scope, the Cabela's Pine Ridge scopes are pretty good. You can get a 3-9X for less than $100. Remember, if the scope costs less than the rifle, especially a 22 rifle, be very careful.

od green
August 3, 2010, 10:17 PM
Food for thought, I have Daisy 3x9x40 Power line scopes on 2 of our' s 22's and me and my son shot quite a bit over the last couple of years with out any problems. They are clear and have held up very well. Not a competition scope but for plinking and hunting and the price they are good scopes. But as has been said your gun is only as good as your optic's . Depending what kind of shooting you are doing , if bench rest or some kind of competition then higher end is better , but for generally monkeying around these aren't bad scopes.

MO. Shootin
August 3, 2010, 11:06 PM
I have had really good luck with tasco and Bushnel.

kiwi56
August 3, 2010, 11:20 PM
My last Tasco was only about 15 months old when it was consigned to the garbage bag reticle started moving inside the scope. The only rifle it had been on was my SKS. I couldn't see the point of spending anymore money on what was already a p p Scope.

MO. Shootin
August 3, 2010, 11:51 PM
Maybe I should say that my Tasco has been on my 308 for probably 12-15 years so a lot can change in a company in that time. I had another old tasco on another gun and had good luck with it. I can't remember what it was.
They are a cheap scope I am not going to argue that. I just don't think it takes much of a scope on a 22 for goofing around.

I have had bad luck with simmons. I don't know what kind of scopes used to come on those bb guns but I went thru those things as a kid. It makes me not want any little bitty scope anymore. I don't want to step on any toes but I would not want a BSA either.

geetarman
August 4, 2010, 07:09 AM
If you can find an old steel tube Weaver K4, buy it and don't look back. If you cannot find one, a newer aluminum tube K6 will also serve you well.

The K4 is one of the best general purpose scopes ever produced and specimens are still found that are as clear as they day they left the factory.

Geetarman:D