PDA

View Full Version : FN Herstall 9mms

markj
July 29, 2010, 04:02 PM
I saw an add for these last made in 1998 brand new for a good price at Cabelas, anyone know anything more on these? Are they correct high powers? I am going out there tonite to look at a boat and these guns. Might have to get one at these prices.

p99guy
July 29, 2010, 05:16 PM
Its the HP/DA...the touted replacement to the HiPower P35 that never really caught on....and was in turn replaced by the FN Forty-Nine/ Browning Pro-9
series....leading up to the FNP9 series, the newest of which is the FNX9.

KyJim
July 29, 2010, 07:07 PM
Its the HP/DA...the touted replacement to the HiPower P35 that never really caught on....and was in turn replaced by the FN Forty-Nine/ Browning Pro-9
series....leading up to the FNP9 series, the newest of which is the FNX9. So, what is the answer to the question?

tekarra
July 29, 2010, 07:29 PM
I looked on the Cabela's site and only saw the HP and the .380 BDA. May I suggest you go to www.world.handguns.ru to see if you can locate the pistol. The site has good photos and short descriptions of a lot of pistols.

Stephen A. Camp
July 29, 2010, 11:00 PM
Hello. If you are speaking of the HP-DA, here's what little I can provide:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/FN%20DAO%20Hi%20Power.htm

Best.

Chesster
July 30, 2010, 01:47 AM
A while back, a guy had an FN HP listed and pictured on Gunbroker. I was the winning bidder but when it arrived, it was one of these "things". I sent it back and got my money back despite his generous offer to let me keep it "at no additional charge". If I could find one for $200, I might buy it as a novelty. But I don't see much use for one for any other purpose.

warningshot
July 30, 2010, 02:11 AM
If you like BrowningH Hps then buy one of those...those...what do they call them.....oh Yea! Browning HPs.

Buy a copy cat and you will never be happy.

My opologies. That is just my opinion. I really shouldn't write that.

Stiofan
July 30, 2010, 02:29 AM
Here's the actual ad from my local Cabelas

http://cabelasflyers.dirxion.com/95V/#

Price is $499 to $599 depending on model, 9mm or .42s&w.

rdwoody1
July 30, 2010, 07:21 AM
Buy a copy cat and you will never be happy.

I wouldn't exactly say an FN is a "copy cat." Sure, FN has changed them slightly over the years, but FN is the company that originally commissioned John Browning to design the pistol.

mbott
July 30, 2010, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't exactly say an FN is a "copy cat." Sure, FN has changed them slightly over the years, but FN is the company that originally commissioned John Browning to design the pistol.

Correct. Even the "Browning" marked HPs were built by FN. The only difference that I'm aware of was the roll mark.

--
Mike

Katsumi Liquer
July 30, 2010, 08:20 AM
I bought an FN Herstal 9mm HP-DA from CDNN a few years ago, when they were closing them out for a little over $300 new. It was admittedly an impulse purchase, and in retrospect somewhat of a disappointment (the gun has since been sold off). To wit:

The bluing on the slide was extremely fragile and showed wear from just routine handling; the frame appeared to be finished with some kind of spray/bake-on enamel and its colour/sheen didn't quite match that of the slide.

The thumbrests on the one-piece wraparound plastic grip were waaay too pronounced and forced the thumb of my shooting hand into an unnatural and uncomfortable position. Of course, depending on the size/shape of your hand, this may not be an issue for you.

The gun was never really accurate enough for me. Using a variety of commercial ammo and my competition handloads, I could never get the gun to group under 4" at 25 yards benched.

The trigger pull was somewhat unrefined, with a very heavy DA pull and an extremely mushy SA break. The gun does not lend itself readily to 'smithing work for trigger improvement due to the use of non-standard springs for the hammer and trigger.

On the positive side, the HP-DA was reliable, as I do not recall it jamming or misfeeding at all.

rdwoody1
July 30, 2010, 01:51 PM
Correct. Even the "Browning" marked HPs were built by FN. The only difference that I'm aware of was the roll mark.

The Browning Custom Shop 75th Anniversary Hi-Power even has the FN emblem in gold on the right side and the Browning buck emblem in gold on the left. So, an FN is definitely not a "copy cat."

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=007B&cat_id=094&type_id=103&content=custom-shop-hi-power-75th-anniversary-firearms

markj
July 30, 2010, 04:26 PM
Here's the actual ad from my local Cabelas

http://cabelasflyers.dirxion.com/95V/#

Price is $499 to $599 depending on model, 9mm or .42s&w.

Yep thats the one, I have a daly hi power now, the JB hi powers at buds are a lot more than these so I was thinking of getting one. Does anyone have one of these and can comment on it? My Daly hasnt missed a beat and was like 275 new.

Silent Bob
July 30, 2010, 05:01 PM
To call an FN Hi-Power a "copycat of a Browning" is ridiculous. If anything, a "Browning" Hi-Power is nothing more than an FN Hi-Power bearing the name of its importer, Browning Arms.