PDA

View Full Version : Scope for 12-ga

BANG
July 28, 2010, 09:40 AM
Seeking recommendations for a good scope to use on a 12-gauge pump for block shooting (AKA turkey, card, meat shoots)? Shells used are 2-3/4-inch, 2-3/4 dram, 1-1/8 oz. #8 lead shot, usually Winchester AA-128 or Estate SS12L.

oneounceload
July 28, 2010, 10:40 AM
Never saw scopes used, (or allowed) at any of the turkey (meat) shoots I went to. Even at the "closest to the X" type of contests. If they use them where you shoot, I would imagine any scope designed for shotgun use (like on a deer slug gun) would work

BANG
July 28, 2010, 12:25 PM
oneounceload,

Scopes are used where I am planning to participate. The reason I asked for recommendations is that not many of the scopes are designated for shotguns. I have been told that rifle scopes will work and stand up to the shock of a shotgun--and, I have also been told that this not not the case.

I once participated using a Mossberg 500 12-ga. fitted with a 0.640-inch turkey choke and open sights. As luck would have it, I won some bacon--against all the others with custom-made guns fitted with scopes.

oneounceload
July 28, 2010, 03:07 PM
Scopes would almost be like cheating..... :D - but if allowed, go for it. If you're near any of the big-box boys like Cabela's, Gander, etc., they should have some scopes to look at and through. I have no inkling whether a rifle scope will work for shotgun - I know they don't last on my air rifle due to the "two-way" recoil a springer generates.

Hope you "bring home the bacon"

BigV
July 31, 2010, 08:05 AM
There are many scopes available for shotguns. Make sure the one you choose is designed specifically for use on a shottie and has plenty of eye relief. Otherwise you will end up with a black eye or a laceration on your nose! Most rifle scopes do not have enough eye relief for use on a shotgun. I have a Leopold fixed 4X on my 11-87 that I use for deer hunting.

jmortimer
July 31, 2010, 08:20 AM
If I had the $$$ I'd get this
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=913115
For a lot less $$$ this
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=385470

BANG
July 31, 2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks all,

Good point about the eye relief. I have seen block shooters using what apears to be the red dot type scope. I have been looking at a Bushnell Banner, Dawn & Dusk 4-12 x40, model 71-4124 as a possibility. I must check the eye relief of this model befor purchasing, but the gun shop "salesman" says that it will withstand the shock of a 12-gauge shotgun.

zippy13
August 2, 2010, 11:39 AM
These days, most center-fire scopes are robust enough for use on a shotgun, especially the target loads you mentioned. You didn't suggest a preference, are you thinking of a conventional optical scope, red dot, or a holographic unit -- how about a laser target designator? Whatever you select, for peace of mind, make sure that wherever you buy it has a liberal return policy.

The big question is, how are you going to mount the scope? If you've followed previous threads, you've noted that saddle mounts are the easiest to install, but are the least accurate. Do you have a barrel with an integral cantilever mount? If not, perhaps a barrel/scope package deal would work for you.

In my area, turkey, pot and fun shoots use conventional trap targets, but fired in an unconventional (non-ATA) manner. Shooters wanting an edge typically look to custom ammo. Boomers with lots of Blue Dot are not uncommon. I've always thought of the fixed target events, especially where the ammo is provided, as more of a test of luck over skill. Of course, there are times when a good patterning super tight choke won't hurt your chances.

BANG
August 2, 2010, 12:06 PM
Zippy,

Thanks for your reply. I'm planning on using a standard Picatinny base with whatever rings I need. Mounting will be on a Mossberg 500 pump using the threaded holes on the breach. Scope will most likely be a standard one.