PDA

View Full Version : New England Firearms

Xyas
July 24, 2010, 02:05 AM
I was looking to see if anyone had any experience with the New England Firearms Pardner Pump shotgun? I know they're pretty cheap but am wondering about the quality as far as a home defense shotgun goes.

Are all 870 accessories compatible with it? I just heard it was exactly like a remington 870 and for this price...I'd definitely pick one up and save the cash if it's a reliable firearm.

I found a pardner pump combo that comes with 2 barrels for $269 in my area. Is that good or should I keep looking? Would you all trust it with your life as a home defense gun? I googled it and I do see some mixed reviews on it.
Any thoughts, comments, anything are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Smallgame2100
July 24, 2010, 07:15 AM
Its made in china. So, its you're call. If this will be defending your life, do you want to buy the lower quality of the two?

I prefer the mossbergs. But, I'd save up a little more and get a Remington.

Xyas
July 24, 2010, 10:56 AM
A few reviews I've been reading lately have been saying that the Pardner pump is higher quality than the Remington 870. I'd like to get the best weapon for my money. I've heard lately 870 quality has been dropping, but not sure if that's just hearsay or what. Thanks for the help!

noyes
July 24, 2010, 11:18 AM
That was "no" help i.m.o.

Hopefully someone that " owns one " will post.

jmortimer
July 24, 2010, 12:28 PM
I own one and it is a fine gun - worth every penny. Remington is doing us all a favor by importing the gun - it is an 870 clone and all parts interchange except the barrel. MAX100 is the resident expert. The fit, finish and materials are all well above average. Many will suggest trying to find a used 870 in good condition and I cannot argue with that but the gun shop where I bought mine, at their suggestion, has sold hundreds and never had one returned for any reason. Here is MAX100 review http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/norinco-982-pardner-pump-protector-info-review-6488/

hank327
July 25, 2010, 02:34 PM
I just bought a Pardner Pump Protector last week. This is the model with the 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. I haven't had a chance to take it to the range and I'm still rounding up various loads of buckshot and slugs to try in it. But my first impressions of the gun are very good. A little background first though. My very first firearm was a Model 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge I bought in the early 1970s with money I made working a summer job. Unfortunately the gun was lost in a house fire many years ago. So I'm pretty familiar with this type of shotgun.

Since the loss of that old 870, I've been without a home defense shotgun. But within the last year I've read good things about the Pardner. So when I saw that Academy was selling them for 189.00, I went to take a look. From my inspection at the store and a later more detailed going over at home, I'd say the Pardner is every bit as good as my old 870 Wingmaster was in regards to materials and fit. The slide action is quite smooth and it locks up tight. It cycles rounds positively and smoothly. The only place that the Pardner doesn't measure up is in the finish. The Pardner Protector has a military looking parkerized finish that is very business like whereas my old Wingmaster was polished and blued. I prefer the parkerized finished as this shotgun is intended to be a fighting gun and not a sporting one.

So unless something very badly goes wrong when I shoot it, this shotgun looks to be perhaps the bargain of the decade. I'm not dancing with joy that it's made in China but I have a practical bent to my nature. At this time I don't have much money to spend on a shotgun and have to get the most bang for my money. IMO this shotgun does that for me regardless of it's origin of manufacture.

TYM2MOTR
July 26, 2010, 02:47 PM
I ran across a sale and bought a Protector a couple of yrs ago, was so impressed I went out and bought a 28" Walnut pump field gun too. I've used the 28" recently for clays but just this past week I was thinking that the last time I exercised the Protector there was snow on the ground. So I got it out, cleaned it up and ran a 25 round box through it...no problems. Both have been very reliable for me. I wouldn't say it's quite the Rem 870's quality but they are nice guns for the money.

MAX100
July 26, 2010, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't say it's quite the Rem 870's quality but they are nice guns for the money.

That depends on which 870 you are comparing it to. Express or WingMaster

GC

Big Tom
July 27, 2010, 08:06 PM
DELETED