PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Mikes.....quality in the gutter!!!

threegun
July 22, 2010, 06:57 PM
Guys I carry my pistol in an Uncle Mikes Sidekick fanny pack. My last pack I have been using for some 5 years or so. I finally decided to replace it with a new one since the old bag had faded a bit. It was still in perfect working condition so I gave it to a coworker and ordered me a brand spanking new one. Well the brand new pack comes in and I fill it up with gear and strap it on. Within about a week the right side of the holster compartment starts to open by itself. This exposes half my gun. I try closing it harder and it opens again. I decide to examine the pack because it felt cheaper than the old one although it was brand new. To my surprise the new pack was made in Vietnam instead of the USA as the old pack was. I called Uncle Mikes and they replaced the pack. The NEW new pack did the exact same thing. I'm gonna try to get a refund this time but I will not be silent. Uncle Mikes has gone down hill and will never get another penny from me until they return to USA manufacture.

Eskimo
July 22, 2010, 07:05 PM
You get what you pay for.. I see 5 dollar mike's holsters.

EdInk
July 22, 2010, 07:19 PM
So you admit to being a fannypacker. :confused:

All joking aside, I honestly didn't think anyone still wore one those things.
(Thought they were replaced with the "man purse.")

dnr1128
July 22, 2010, 07:33 PM
Its basically a sign that you're packing. Just like a photog vest with no camera.

Daryl
July 22, 2010, 08:13 PM
Its basically a sign that you're packing. Just like a photog vest with no camera.

So? Who cares if someone suspects you're carrying?

I wear a leather western vest occasionally. I have three to choose from, and in this country around Tombstone it fits right in. I couldn't care less if someone thinks I'm carrying.

Heck, much of the time I open carry anyway. I can vividly remember a time, not so long ago, when that was the only option is most of the US.

Daryl

Shane Tuttle
July 22, 2010, 09:31 PM
Moving over to Retail Deals and Feedback...

curt.45
July 22, 2010, 10:54 PM
I just looked at my #5 uncle mikes IWB holster, yep made in Vietnam its wearing out faster then the last one then I'd used for ten years. :(

threegun
July 23, 2010, 04:48 AM

I've been carrying in the fanny since 1992 and have only been made twice. Astute folks like us may presume that a fanny or vest minus camera equals a gun but the vast majority are clueless. To many tourists here in Florida use them as a man purse.

flight954
July 23, 2010, 01:44 PM
(Thought they were replaced with the "man purse.")

European shoulder bag :D:D:D

dogtown tom
July 23, 2010, 06:59 PM
European organizer

:D

Microgunner
July 23, 2010, 07:06 PM
Appears profit won out over quality at Uncle Mikes.

kdrf636
July 24, 2010, 01:29 AM
I never did like Uncle Mikes products. My only nylon holsters are a shoulder holster made by Shooting Systems and a military [M84R IIRC] open carry holster made by Bianchi. I do, however, have an Italian made dual position crossdraw/strong side leather holster that I think was imported by Uncle Mikes. It's pretty good quality. But I never liked any of their nylon stuff.

noelf2
July 29, 2010, 08:27 PM
I have an Uncle Mike's sidekick pocket holster for my 380s for 8 years now. Don't think it'll ever wear out. Love it. I'll have to look at some new ones at the next gun show and compare quality.