PDA

View Full Version : Question for Glock owners.

Topkicker
July 22, 2010, 12:29 AM
I've never owned a Glock but have been thinking of buying a 45. Looked at a couple this passed weekend. Both were new and looked the same size. The accessory rails were different on the two and one had "SF" on the side. Both were Glock 21's. What is the differences between the two ? Is one preffered over the other?

gb6491
July 22, 2010, 12:40 AM
"SF" denotes the short frame version of the particular model; these are slightly shorter front to back in the grip area. There are some photo comparisons here: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002693
Regards,
Greg
BTW; the rails are either a Glock rail or MIL-SPEC 1913 Picatinny rail. You will need to accessorize (including holsters) accordingly.
Oops, I see Laz already covered that.

Laz
July 22, 2010, 12:44 AM
The one marked "SF" is what Glock calls a "short frame". The guts of the guns are identical but the SF has reduced space behind the magazine well and the backstrap, and a slightly reshaped grip making the grip a couple of millimeters shorter from backstrap to trigger. The SF feels better in many average to smaller hands, including mine (I have a Glock 30 SF). I'm not too much into rails so my answer there will be incomplete but I believe some Glock rails are just that, Glock rails and some guns are offered with Picatinny rails. This has an affect on what accessories and holsters will work with the gun. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this.

Topkicker
July 22, 2010, 12:49 AM
Thanks. I couldn't see the difference in the gun case with them laying apart. I need to hold both of them now to see which one feels the best.

roman3
July 22, 2010, 04:56 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is that the glock 21 or 21SF comes with two different types of mag releases. The ambidextrous mag release which is standard on the MIL-SPEC 1913 Picatinny rail 21SF (but can be found on the regular Glock rail models) has had some issues and Glock has discontinued making the ambi mag release. If you send in a ambi mag released gun for repair work due to the mag release you will get a completely NEW frame with the old style Glock mag release and a completely different serial number. Making a mis-matched gun.

Hence why the new Generation 4 Glocks have a reverseable mag release and not longer the ambi mag release.

I had to look around for a standard Glock mag release when I was searching for a 21SF.

To me the glock 21 SF is the better choice as it is just a smidge (but its enough to be OK with for me) better feeling in the hand. Both are big guns.

roman3
July 22, 2010, 05:00 AM
For example,

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&q=glock+21sf+ambi+mag+problems&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=glock+21sf+ambi+mag+problems&gs_rfai=&fp=43ed5f176cd31af0

keens
July 22, 2010, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't buy a Glock if I were looking for a .45

The only caliber fully supported by the weapon is the 9mm.

However, you can buy aftermarket barrels that fully support the larger calibers.

When I buy a gun, I always choose the caliber is was created for/ based around.

I would suggest a 1911.

precision_shooter
July 22, 2010, 10:53 AM

There's always one...:rolleyes:

madmag
July 22, 2010, 03:08 PM

However, you can buy aftermarket barrels that fully support the larger calibers.

I would suggest a 1911.

Disagree with about everything.

First, I own both Glock and Colt 1911. While it is true that Glock does have chambers that do not fully support, it is also true that many other makes do not have fully supported chambers. Like my Ruger P90, it also does not have a fully supported chamber. And keep in mind the reason, you get more reliable chambering with un-supported chambers.

Also, the after market barrels are often not as reliable as the original factory barrels.

Saying you would stick to the pistol originally designed for the .45ACP round means you would only purchase a 1911. Even for someone like me that likes the 1911, that's a un-necessary restriction.

To the OP. Just go with the one that fits. Best option is to find a range that rents pistols. Try before you buy.:)

I having been giving that more thought. I guess for 9mm 9X19 that's limits you to the original Luger pistol.:D

gb6491
July 22, 2010, 03:48 PM

I would suggest a 1911.

I'm a fan of the 1911 platform, but most that I have seen/used have barrels that are far from providing full support for the cartridge case.

Regards,
Greg

madmag
July 22, 2010, 04:13 PM
I'm a fan of the 1911 platform, but most that I have seen/used have barrels that are far from providing full support for the cartridge case.

Yes, you will see a lot of variations. The original GI chambers tend to have full support.

ET.
July 22, 2010, 04:54 PM
I own a 21sf and am completely satisfied with it. The Ambi mag release isn't the greatest but I have gotten used to it. I like the caliber for self defense at home. I would rather shoot once than 3 times to put a perp down. I just don't CC with it. I use the 27 for that.

Topkicker
July 23, 2010, 12:21 AM
I like 1911's. I'm stepping way outside of my box to purchace a Glock. I do not own a polymer handgun. This gun will be for carry and will stay in my Jeep alot. I like the high capacity of the Glock and not having to worry about the finish so much.

threegun
July 23, 2010, 05:38 AM
Topkicker, With either gun you will not be disappointed. You will find yourself ignoring those 1911's once you fire the 21 or 21sf a bit.

I would suggest a 1911.

If I do this on a 1911 thread I'm a koolaid drinking fanboy LOL.

Don P
July 23, 2010, 07:34 AM
I own 2 G26's and 2 G36's and all have functioned flawlessly. I consider my G36 as my officer sized 45 acp without the weight. Just MY opinion and how I view my 45's At 27.2oz loaded you can't beat the G36. For me it makes for a excellent pocket carry.

FreakGasolineFight
July 23, 2010, 07:55 AM
There's always one...

Make that two, and for good reason.

http://www.frontsight.com/Images/Glock21ReloadDamage/glock03.jpg

There's why.

madmag
July 23, 2010, 09:02 AM
At 27.2oz loaded you can't beat the G36.

That's also my view. Just came back from the range yesterday after another flawless 200 plus rds (various types) down range. I have several carry options, but I find I carry my G36 90% of the time.

I consider my G36 as my officer sized 45 acp without the weight.

A good point that's sometimes missed. The G36 is compact, but it does have a 3.78" barrel. And the poly barrel gives improved velocity. So it really is like an officer size .45.

Jimmy10mm
July 23, 2010, 09:14 AM
I like 1911's. I'm stepping way outside of my box to purchace a Glock. I do not own a polymer handgun. This gun will be for carry and will stay in my Jeep alot. I like the high capacity of the Glock and not having to worry about the finish so much. I felt the same before I got my first Glock. I used to say I wouldn't own a plastic gun until I shot a friend's model 23. It is my knock around gun and has been totally reliable through many rounds for about 10 years now. Nice to have a gun that I don't have to worry about the finish and can always depend on.

Glock-19
July 23, 2010, 09:17 AM

There's why.

Thats a Gen II in the pic, didnt Glock fix the KB problem quietly in the mid 90's

I own many guns, (2 Glocks) while they are not my favorate ones, I can always depend on them. I carry a G36 everyday.

COSteve
July 23, 2010, 09:17 AM
ALL of John Browning's descendant pistol designs have some amount of 'lessor' chamber support at the 6 o'clock position simply because of the feed geometry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/ChamberSupport-1.jpg

Glocks have a generous chamber size to aid in feeding reliability because they were designed to be combat guns, not target guns. The fact that pistols fail is nothing new or unique to Glocks.

superchi
July 23, 2010, 09:31 AM

http://www.frontsight.com/Images/Glock21ReloadDamage/glock03.jpg

There's why.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/uploads/1193690671/gallery_523_62_7968.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/kaBooms/kbHKTAC45.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VMdraHwAbeg/Sys4I9tZL2I/AAAAAAAABfQ/MmIiLnTU1dk/s400/XD+kaboom1.jpg

http://i11.servimg.com/u/f11/13/61/06/28/dsc00210.jpg

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/KABOOM.jpg

Next troll, please

Mike Irwin
July 23, 2010, 10:54 AM
You know, folks, I don't think I'm the only one on staff who's getting more than a little tired of just about every Glock thread turning into a crap fest.

Unless you have an answer/observation DIRECTLY related to the original poster's question regarding the frame differences, STAY OUT OF THE THREAD.

Understand?

precision_shooter
July 23, 2010, 10:55 AM
Someday, someday the fanbois will have to admit that the .40 and .45 Glocks are more prone to kb's than other guns in those calibers ... I guess it's just not going to be anytime soon.

Right, cuz it's sooooo hard to do an image search on google and find a pic of a glock that had a KB. You can do this with any mfg and find pics of guns that had KB's...Everyone always wants to immediately blame the gun, even when some of the incidents are obviously the shooter/reloaders error....

Mike Irwin
July 23, 2010, 11:06 AM
Thread closed for declining civility and out and out thread jacking.

Topkicker, if you want to post another thread if your original question has not been answered, by all means please do.

The rest of you?

TAKE THE HINT!

If this endless and rather pointless Glock KB war continues, the mods are going to end it and there WILL be casualties. :mad: