PDA

View Full Version : What did I do?

Jack Bauer
July 21, 2010, 10:29 PM
I picked up a Remington R1 .45 yesterday. Today was the first chance I got to clean it, so I field stripped it (per the instruction manual) and cleaned, lubed, etc. When I put it all back together (again, per the manual) the grip safety seems to just flop around and when I tested it, the hammer will drop without the grip safety depressed. It worked correctly before I disassembled/reassembled it...now it doesn't. I'm not familiar enough with the 1911 to try a complete detail strip...is there something I might have done to cause this? And how can I fix it, short of returning it to Remington?

Thanks for any help.

Jim Watson
July 21, 2010, 10:54 PM
Field stripped or disassembled?

Sure sounds like the sear spring is out of position; its right leaf tensions the grip safety.

Jack Bauer
July 22, 2010, 06:16 AM
Just field stripped...I've never tried a full disassembly...that kind of scares me...

jglenn
July 22, 2010, 02:07 PM
did you loosen or take it off?

g.willikers
July 22, 2010, 04:12 PM
Here's how it goes together:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6SmlOEzNBs&feature=player_embedded

Jack Bauer
July 22, 2010, 05:54 PM
I didn't do anything with anything except the manual-recommended field strip. The only time I've removed a mainspring housing was to remove the lock thing from an old Springfield Armory "Loaded" that I had.

I spoke with E-RPC's customer service this morning and they're sending me a call tag to return it to them. I could probably try to figure it out and fix it myself, but I've had it for two days and it hasn't even had a round loaded yet, so I figure the manufacturer can take care of the problem.

moredes15
July 22, 2010, 11:42 PM
error

Jack Bauer
July 25, 2010, 06:27 PM
Well, I took a shot at disassembly; I'm really lost now. I'm following animations, looking at diagrams, and I have two parts that don't show up in any of these:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/toocool2/DSCN0572.jpg

Anybody know what these are or where they go? They fell out when I removed the hammer/strut and I don't have a frame of reference for them...

Thanks for any help.

Scorch
July 25, 2010, 06:45 PM
Those are part of your firing pin safety. They go in a small cutout in the frame on the left side. When you pull the trigger, the long leg of the one part lifts the firing pin block.

Jack Bauer
July 25, 2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks...they're a bear to get back in...any hints? Please????

Jack Bauer
July 25, 2010, 08:00 PM
OK, so whoever said a 1911 is easy to reassemble must be smoking something really good...I finally got mine back together, and it took me almost two hours. Those two firing pin safety things were a pain in the butt, and the sear/disconnector were no picnic either. And, after taking it all apart, the grip safety still doesn't work! I had some issues with getting the spring to stay in place correctly, but I'm confident it's in the right place...there's just no tension on the grip safety.

Since I have a call tag coming, I'll send it back and let the factory fix things, I guess...

I have to say, though, the 1911 is not my favorite handgun...

ir3e971
July 25, 2010, 08:07 PM
Jack,

I had the same reaction the first time I disassembled a 1911. After a couple of times it becomes second nature.

They really are a great gun. Though like you, I was initially skeptical about the reported ease of assembly.

This helped me:

http://how-i-did-it.org/detail-1911/reassembly.html