PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 70 Westerner Feed Problem

Hoskins
July 21, 2010, 10:07 PM
First off I want to say hello to everyone & express that I am glad to have found this sight while searching for Winchester Model 70 feed problems. I am a Marine & have been one for 14 years. I love to shoot & hunt. I'm familiar with trouble shooting military rifles & crew serve machineguns, but not with sporting rifles.

The weapon is a Winchester Model 70 Westerner 30.06. It is a post-64 model. The problem is that it will not feed the last round. The round simply pops out of the ejection port while im pushing the bolt forward. The rounds feed fine as long as there is other rounds in the magazine, however, the last round simply will not feed & the face of the bolt doesn't have it clamped down.

Thanks in advance for anyone who helps out.

Hoskins
July 22, 2010, 11:20 AM
Sigh...no love shown for a Marine huh? I guess I'll try & figure it out on my own.

Scorch
July 22, 2010, 11:52 AM
Hi Hoskins. First of all, welcome to TFL. Next, Semper Fi (10 years for me). And finally, the problem you are describing is relatively common with Winchester push-feed Model 70s. It can be addressed by a gunsmith. He will either replace the magazine spring, or he will need to work on the magazine feed rails.

Hoskins
July 22, 2010, 12:21 PM
LOL...I figured a lilttle bit of guilt tripping would get me a reply!!! lol. Semper Fi BROTHER!!! Thanks for the info. Guess I'll tinker with it just a bit w/o doing too much & then if that don't work take it to a gunsmith.

I'm not liking the push feed concept. I have (3) Model 70's...all giving to me by my dad, but may invest in another shooter. Gonna look into the new M-70's...do sme research. I think they have went back to the pre-64 controlled feed if I aint mistaken. I'm kinda fancing the model 70 stealth w/ the heavy barrel...just wish it had more of a selection of calibers other than the .308.