PDA

View Full Version : Heat that damages a polymer pistol...

Super-Dave
July 19, 2010, 10:42 PM
At what temperatures does heat damage a polymer handgun?

Sometimes down here in Florida it can get 135-140 degrees in a car in summer.

What temperature is the limit for most polymer pistols?

ScottRiqui
July 19, 2010, 10:51 PM
Polymer pistols are made from "thermosetting" polymers, meaning that unlike conventional plastics that can be re-melted and re-molded again and again, thermosetting polymers "set up" or "cure" the first time they're heated/molded/cooled, so they can't be re-formed again. 140 °F (or even 240 F) is nothing to a polymer pistol.

AustinTX
July 19, 2010, 10:54 PM
As long as your car doesn't burst into flames, the gun will be fine. Nylon 6 melts around 500 degrees F.

cougar gt-e
July 19, 2010, 11:00 PM
The bullets will auto-ignite before the polymer is hurt by the heat.

The material is better than it was in the '60's when a version was used on M16's in Vietnam. You didn't hear about them melting and it got hotter there in the sun that in your car!

EdInk
July 19, 2010, 11:18 PM
SuperDave,

What's up with all the newbie-type questions lately?
(You've been on here since 2008)

hoytinak
July 19, 2010, 11:20 PM
I've dyed an OD frame Glock black in boiling water/dye for about an hour before, that didn't even come close to deforming it or messing it up in any way.

JohnKSa
July 20, 2010, 12:25 AM
It's impossible to answer the question in the general case because there are many type of polymer pistols and they don't all use the same type of polymer.

One of the more common polymer pistols is made from a type of nylon and the specs for that material indicate that if you can pick the gun up without immediately incurring serious injury from the heat then the polymer will still be structurally sound and the gun will be safe to fire without fear of it being damaged by the stresses of firing. Specific numbers--safe to fire (maintains full structural integrity) if the frame is 260 degrees fahrenheit or less. The frame will not be damaged by heat until the frame temperature exceeds 400 degrees fahrenheit but the frame of the gun should be allowed to cool to below 260 degrees F before the gun is fired.

For reference, the temperature of boiling water is 212 degrees F.

Elvishead
July 20, 2010, 02:06 AM
EdInk

SuperDave,

(You've been on here since 2008)

So funny, but so true!:rolleyes:

Super-Dave

Two and half years on the board.

Kreyzhorse
July 20, 2010, 06:30 AM
As long as your car doesn't burst into flames, the gun will be fine

That's good.... :)

CDW4ME
July 20, 2010, 07:28 AM
Good information here, I wasn't worried about my Glocks before reading, now I'm really not worried.:)

GotTheFeaver
July 20, 2010, 07:44 AM
Don't leave your Kydex holster in the car..the gun will be fine, but the Kydex will turn to goo.

oldgranpa
July 20, 2010, 08:34 AM
quote....."SuperDave,

(You've been on here since 2008) "

Shucks, don't be too hard on SuperDave, he does a good job of posting old topics that encourage discussion. He usually knows the answer already, he's no dumbie, so just read the replies and enjoy!!

Cheers,
og

Drummer101
July 20, 2010, 09:17 AM
I would be more worried about barrel heat then just the air temp. But still good luck getting that hot.

I am sure one of my books says the temp. but school does not start till the 23rd :p

Daryl
July 20, 2010, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't sweat it.

I was in Tucson yesterday, and it was hotter'n hades. I left my G23 in the glovebox for an hour or so when I went into the hospital (defenseless victim zone) for an appointment. I came out worried that the grip might have melted off of my new handgun, but when I checked it all was well.

Stopped at Sam's Club, then went to Pet's Mart with no trouble. Then my wife and I ate lunch at Joe's Crab Shack (another posted defenseless Victim Zone, but the coconut shrimp was worth the risk!), and left the .G23 in the truck for another hour. Once again, nothing melted.

I also just checked my magazine, and it's not missing any cartridges so I think you're safe there as well. Now that I've successfully completed the test run for melting guns, you can go forth with confidence.

:)

Daryl

Hog Hunter
July 20, 2010, 03:51 PM
I own a glock and keep it in my truck durring work, I drive a black chevy and it usally sits in the sun with the windows up. Been doin it for a few years and no problems yet and I live in south georgia.

HisSoldier
July 20, 2010, 04:25 PM
Polymer pistols are made from "thermosetting" polymers,

That's the first I've heard of that.

One of the more common polymer pistols is made from a type of nylon

Now that's more like it, and Nylon is not a thermosetting plastic. All I know is that the polymer triggers of Colt Gov't .380's and Mustangs are starting to fall apart, which makes me love steel.