PDA

View Full Version : SON OF A...Stupid Springs! (But CZ comes through)

ZeSpectre
July 14, 2010, 08:26 AM
So I've run my CZ-75 Compact enough to "break it in" and verify that it needs the same trigger TLC that all of my other "75 series" pistols have benefited from.

So I clean off the workbench and the surrounding area, lay out some old white t-shirts (makes it easy to see parts) and start the takedown as I've done a few dozen times before.

As I start to take the sear assembly apart I'm even thinking to myself "now remember to cup that in your hand so that those microscopic springs don't....." SPROING ....ARRRRGGGHHH!

So let's see, here's Part #12 (Sear Spring), yup and part #11 (Sear) and part #14 (Firing pin block lever) and....oh damn, where's #15 (Firing pin block lever spring)?

So I search and search and search. It doesn't matter that I cleared the whole area, it doesn't matter that I laid out white cloth all over the place to catch any "wandering" parts, nope, that microscopic spring is gone, gone, gone.

Well, the spring is only $2 from CZ so I'll.....wait, EIGHT BUCKS in shipping for a $2 part?!?

So I called CZ-USA and talked to a nice fella and I asked him if there was some way to just mail that tiny little spring without the $8 shipping. He laughed and said he'd send me a couple in the mail.

THANK YOU CZ-USA! :)

Rmac58
July 14, 2010, 08:56 AM
Glad to hear things turned out.
I stopped by the local gunsmith to buy a small spring and ball bearing. He said here, you better take two, you're going to lose one. I said okay and asked how much. He (old guy) said by the time she, he pointed to the girl behind the register, writes it up, I'll have forgotten, just take 'em.

blackhawk45
July 14, 2010, 10:19 AM
Next time you disassemble,or reassemble,a pistol,do it inside a clear plastic freezer bag,less chance of those small parts getting away. Works for me.
hope this helps.

ZeSpectre
July 14, 2010, 10:39 AM
Next time you disassemble,or reassemble,a pistol,do it inside a clear plastic freezer bag,less chance of those small parts getting away. Works for me.
hope this helps.

Great tip! I'm going to use that from now on.

I used to set up my photography "light tent" and work inside that but it was getting greasy and I needed it more for photography. The freezer bag idea is first rate (and cheaply replaced when it gets dirty/hard to see through).

ScottRiqui
July 14, 2010, 11:44 AM
I used to set up my photography "light tent" and work inside that but it was getting greasy and I needed it more for photography.

I know what you mean. I'm always tempted to use my studio lights for car/gun projects, but the umbrellas get filthy so easily. I'm definitely going to use the freezer bag idea for my next detail strip, though!

DnPRK
July 14, 2010, 01:34 PM
I keep a stash of large clear plastic bags that I can get the gun and both hands into. Those bags saved my bacon several times when a tiny part tries to escape.

Joat
July 14, 2010, 03:31 PM
I use a variation of the plastic bag trick. When my son's last goldfish died the plexiglas aquarium got re-purposed. laid it on its side, dropped an old towel over the opening and now have a box big enough to take apart almost anything with the added bonus of being able to look down through the top glass and see what I'm taking apart.

joat

oneoldsap
July 14, 2010, 09:47 PM
;) I like that aquarium idea , put a couple of stick on lights in it and I might even be able to see what I'm doing . I see them in lawn sales all the time for almost nothing , bet I have one this weekend !

Nnobby45
July 14, 2010, 11:45 PM
I keep a stash of large clear plastic bags that I can get the gun and both hands into. Those bags saved my bacon several times when a tiny part tries to escape.

Same for me.

However, a magnet can be indespensible. I first search all thru the shag carpet with a magnet. Found lots of launched parts that way. If that doesn't work, I use the vacuum cleaner (start with clean bag) then use magnet to find part.

Since most of my pistols are SIGs, I've ordered all the small springs, and other easily loosable parts.

But, the plastic bag can save you all the headache.:cool:

sc928porsche
July 15, 2010, 05:22 PM
Another part that wanders is the Jesus Clip. You know, the E clip. Usually to remove it you have to use your pen pocket screwdriver, insert it into the open space area and Jesus. Then to assemble, you get the clip between your monsterous finger tips, line it up with the grove on the pin and and push it onto the Jesus. This is usually followed by searching for the missing clip which is almost always lodged in some crevice. I cry anytime that I see that I have to remove one of these.

oneoldsap
July 15, 2010, 08:03 PM
Put just a little dab of Permatex on the spring or clip and the adjoining surface , and things don't fly near as far , if at all !

DnPRK
July 15, 2010, 08:50 PM
And use sandpaper to get the Permatex off your fingers.

Xfire68
July 15, 2010, 08:52 PM
CZ's customer service is great in my book! I ordered some parts from them to have on hand for those times (Just like yours) when you lost a spring or bend one Like I did a few weeks ago. When you call them and talk to a person sometimes things go allot easier!

I did a $0.25 trigger job and bent the Sear spring while putting to gun back together. Once I got the springs in the mail all was back up and running better then ever.