PDA

View Full Version : Mid/high range optics

Headgear
July 10, 2010, 06:31 AM
I'm interested in trying long range shooting. I have a CZ550 Varmint in 308 Win and need a good scope. I would like to try to shoot as much as a 1000 yards. I have never shot that far yet so I don't know much about it. I'm sure that the scope is the most important part of the package and would like to get one that I won't regret later. If it matters, I will be shooting from a bench.

I can't afford a top end scope but I have a $600.00 +/- Nikon which is not going to work. I'm looking in the 1 to 2K range. Will I be able to find something good enough in this price range? If so, what do you guys like?

Norrick
July 10, 2010, 06:45 AM
Whats wrong with your Nikon? Is the magnification too low? Not enough elevation adjustment?

You start getting diminishing returns when the price goes that high. I think 600ish is actually the sweet spot when it comes to quality/features vs. price.

If you don't like tactical style scopes, then I think the best match for your rifle is going to be some sort of Leupold. Maybe a Zeiss.

My experience is pretty limited to the 600ish dollar range, otherwise I would be more specific with models and such.

Headgear
July 10, 2010, 08:22 AM
Ya it does not have enough adjustment range and I am hoping to find something more clear and less mirage effect. I don't know if there is that much difference between what I have and whats available in that price range but I'm all ears.

noyes
July 10, 2010, 08:27 AM
Here's some info

http://www.6mmbr.com/optics.html

taylorce1
July 10, 2010, 08:29 AM
I'd say try something like a Bushnell Elite 3200 fixed 10X and see if that helps you. Should have plenty of adjustment to get you out to 1K and if you add a 20MOA base then you should be able to extend that range. 10X is plenty from what I've read to be able to see the targets at 1K and the scope doesn't blow all your budget. I haven't had the urge to try that far yet, but I'm sure I will right now I'm trying to work at 600 yards.

If you really want to spend that kind of money on a scope then start looking at US Optics and Nightforce. I got to look through a Nightforce scope and shoot a .50 BMG that it was setting on. Nice scope (don't know which one) but I didn't get to try it past 200 yards, but I was busting clay pigeons at that range. Seemed like a waste with the .50 BMG.

Loader9
July 10, 2010, 08:38 AM
For LONG range shooting, there is only one scope- March. Yeah, most have probably never heard of it or even seen one. That's mostly because they are made one at a time and most are in the hands of the serious benchrest 1 mile shooters. If a common scope is good enough, pick any "target" model and hope for the best. But if you're serious about long range shooting, get a serious scope.
http://www.deon.co.jp/march/Benchrest_scope.html

I've shot a 6 Dasher with a 10-60 x52 on it. The scope is amazing.