PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Buy Ammo @ Cabelas Online

fsfty
July 7, 2010, 06:14 PM
Any problems? They have some ammo pretty cheap, but never used them before. Ok to buy from?

oldandslow
July 7, 2010, 06:30 PM
fs, 7/8/10

I have bought large quantities of ammo (.45 and 9mm) from them a couple of times in the past year. The last time I ordered a thousand rounds they charged me $32 sales tax for a state I do not live in. I emailed them several times and they admitted it was their mistake but refused to reimburse me as the tax dollars had already been sent out and were unrecoverable from the state. Thus I cannot recommend Cabelas for ammo anymore and I buy elsewhere. I have also ordered from ammunitiontogo.com and had much better results. Good luck.

best wishes-= oldandslow

3StrikesNC
July 7, 2010, 07:52 PM
Do so often. No issues.

You can get a Cabela's Gift Card from Discover Card, instead of cash back. The card cost $40 FOR A $50 CARD (20% OFF). They come in handy for ammo, especially when they have free shipping or discounts & it's on sale.

Oldandslow; as far a the sales tax thing, I would not let up. Call Customer Service, what's right is right and sounds like they screwed up. Cabelas has some of the best CSR folks in the biz.

.300 Weatherby Mag
July 7, 2010, 08:07 PM
No issues... I've used them frequently..

arizona98tj
July 7, 2010, 08:18 PM
I use them all the time....waiting until what I use/need goes on sale.....combine it with a $20 or $30 coupon (not as frequently sent to the house now as they were in 2009)....and then have it shipped to the local Cabela's store that is < 5 miles down the road from my house. (no shipping charges when sent to a local store) I have to pay state sales tax regardless of it being an online purchase or in-store purchase.

My last batch of 9mm was $9.95 per box prior to the discount coupon being applied. That is better than WWB from Walmart by several $$ per box. I use my reloads at the local practice range and factory rounds for training courses.

kymasabe
July 7, 2010, 08:38 PM
I've bought thousands of rounds of ammo from Cabella's. Good to go !
Buy with confidence.

NooYawkuh
July 7, 2010, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure why you would even be apprehensive about Cabela's. I order a lot of stuff from them, including ammo. When they have sales, specials and coupon codes, they're as competitive as anyone. A lot of cheap bulk ammo outfits on line rape you on shipping.

I've had only good experiences.

Trigger Time
July 7, 2010, 09:57 PM
Here's the rub. We all know that when you buy mail order from a company with a physical location in your state you pay applicable sales tax. And we all know that due to economies of scale, Cabela's will put the local mom&pop under. But did you know that many times they have arranged to not pay the sales tax dollars they collect to the state in exchange for them locating there? That really puts mom&pop at a disadvantage. It's not a reason to pass up a deal- hey, I have one of their credit cards. But you can scratch them off the good neighbor list.

FrankenMauser
July 7, 2010, 10:04 PM
I have so many of their "free" dry storage boxes, that I am begging friends and family to get them out of my gun room.

Their shipping is usually reasonable, and I've never had a problem.
(I have always been curious about how they would handle an issue with an ammunition shipment, though. But, like I said - I've never had the misfortune of having to find out.)

I live close enough to the Lehi, Utah store, that the free "ship to store" option is usually faster than UPS, and a easy for me to pick up. But the process for picking up Will-Call shipments that are bulky or heavy is quite annoying. It took me 1.5 hours to pick up some 7.62x39 bulk ammo a couple months back, due to the three-step process, and bouncing around the store. ...Not to mention, that damned will-call door has a single lane approach to it. So, you have to wait in line with your vehicle, if you don't feel like carrying whatever you're picking up.

It's worth repeating, though. I've never had a problem with the straight mail-order (or internet) shipments.

TXGunNut
July 7, 2010, 10:21 PM
I like Cabela's, they like me. Got the hardcover catalog in the mail today, BTW. Careful shopping and coupon use saves big bucks. Lots of great camping gear and I've been wearing their shirts for years. The ship-to-store option works great for both of us. I save freight, they get me to come in the door and cruise the used gun racks, powder case and Gun Library. What's not to like?
I do hate that they helped put the Mom & Pop gunshops out of business but I think that was changing times, can't blame the folks who adapted to the change.

arizona98tj
July 7, 2010, 10:42 PM
Here's the rub. We all know that when you buy mail order from a company with a physical location in your state you pay applicable sales tax. And we all know that due to economies of scale, Cabela's will put the local mom&pop under. But did you know that many times they have arranged to not pay the sales tax dollars they collect to the state in exchange for them locating there? That really puts mom&pop at a disadvantage. It's not a reason to pass up a deal- hey, I have one of their credit cards. But you can scratch them off the good neighbor list.

I've tried giving my business to no less than 3 different local "mom and pop" stores....I assume you mean those stores where walking in on a Saturday morning means standing around for 30 minutes while the "regulars" shoot the breeze with the guys behind the counter? I guess they don't need my money all that bad else they might make an effort to help me spend it.

I purchased two handguns from one of those stores. When I came back a month later to ask about them doing an FFL transfer on a new shotgun (that they couldn't get from their distributor), I got the polite "we don't do them". Yet, just a couple a week later, while standing within earshot of the checkout counter, I overheard the details of a transaction....the customer was paying for an FFL transfer. Obviously, it's Mom and Pop's store so they can set what ever rules they want.

I scratched them off the good neighbor list. ;)

Since then, I started shopping at Cabela's (which is also closer to my house by several miles) and never looked back.

mothermopar
July 7, 2010, 10:58 PM
I've ordered ammo and alot of other stuff without any issues. Good prices, stuff in stock (and if it's not, you get it asap when they get it)... Highly recommend.

johnwilliamson062
July 7, 2010, 11:53 PM
I like Cabelas. Sort of.
Their prices are not very good.
Their shipping is sometimes ridiculous(small and light expensive item costs a lot to ship).
They have a broader selection of categories although not as much depth as say Brownells or Midway.
I have their credit card and some times they send me pre-warnings for the bargain cave which are ridiculous deals.
Sometimes they offer to add something to my cart for a ridiculous deal. Such as this for $4.99 (http://www.furhatworld.com/rabbit-fur-aviator-hat-blaze-orange-p-1233.html?gdftrk=gdfV21056_a_7c265_a_7c696_a_7c1233), which I now wear on every hunting trip, even if it is 90.
I get rebate dollars that I can't use anywhere else from the credit card.
I can't change the credit card b/c I don't have steady employment right now(your credit score is irrelevant in such an instance).
I guess I don't like them much at all and if I didn't have the credit card/rewards/special deals I wouldn't shop there much at all.

BUT
as far as what you order getting shipped to you and it not being a scam. I wouldn't worry at all.

Oh, they have nice house brands that are just relabeled name brands especially in scopes and fishing rods. They carry a warranty but it must be shipped to Cabela's who then ships it to the original manufacturer who evaluates it and might refund your shipping and fix the product or might not.

SVO
July 8, 2010, 12:19 AM
I have tried to order 1200 rnds of 45 ACP ball from them. Has been a real Hogan's Goat experience. Ordered Winchester brand. Winchester was out of stock and on back order. But did receive two dry boxes, no ammo. Then they offered to sub some eastern european ammo I had never heard of. I passed. Then they offered to sub what was suppose to be european made Winchester which they had in stock and could drop ship that day. Fine, send it. Then sorry, it had gone out of stock before they could ship it. Then they offered to sub PMC ammo. Fine send that. Again, it went out of stock before they could ship it. Then another dry box came in with no ammo. Then they offered to sub Remington. Fine. ship that. Couple of days later, 300 rnds of Remington and one dry boxes showed up. They only had 300 rounds to ship, the other 900 are on back order.

I understand that everyone and his dog is ordering bulk amount of ammo, and it being out of stock. But when you talk to them on the phone and they tell you it's in stock, we can ship it right now and then find out that it went out of stock before they could fill the order is a bit trying. Also, I wish they would keep their $14.00 value dry boxes and knock it off the price of the ammo. If I ever get the rest of my order.

doofus47
July 8, 2010, 03:35 AM
No problems.

thesheepdog
July 8, 2010, 08:42 AM
Yep. Good stuff. I don't buy there anymore because shipping is expensive and i have to pay sales tax.

NooYawkuh
July 8, 2010, 09:06 PM
I try to support local gun shops and all local merchants whenever possible, but blaming Cabela's for executing a successful and emerging business model is unfair. That's like blaming the car companies for putting horse breeders and coach makers out of business. The web is a commercial reality everyone has to deal with.

Trigger Time
July 8, 2010, 10:32 PM
Hey, I buy stuff from 'em. All I'm saying is charging 'sales tax' and then pocketing the money is -WRONG-. At the end of the day your wallet is just as empty, but it's a matter of right and wrong not legal and illegal.

FrankenMauser
July 9, 2010, 12:37 AM
Hey, I buy stuff from 'em. All I'm saying is charging 'sales tax' and then pocketing the money is -WRONG-. At the end of the day your wallet is just as empty, but it's a matter of right and wrong not legal and illegal.

If what you say is true (and not just a theory based on similar cases) complain to the politicians that allowed them to do it.

SmokyBaer
July 9, 2010, 09:53 AM
Like Kymasabe... I've bought thousands of rounds from Cabelas, mostly 45s and 308, without ANY major issues. One time they goofed and sent 230 grainers instead of 200s but didn't matter. If I'd wanted to send them back, they would have swapped with no problems. The one thing I've noticed and like a LOT is they will alert you of a backorder before you confirm your purchase. Georgia Arms tells you that too.

Bad news on that tax crap if that's really true. Never know unless you see it yourself.

TexAg
July 9, 2010, 11:56 AM
I find I can usually get better deals from Midway, Graf & Sons or Sportsman's Guide, but I usually use a coupon and do have to pay sales tax from Cabela's, so those definitely factor into my choices. I will say Graf's customer service was really great when I once had an issue with them. I ordered bulk 9mm, it was not out if stock, but then they said it was a few days later. I called and they said it was a mess up on their end when some big purchaser bought all of that stock up. They pulled my 1,000 rounds out and still shipped it to me, but did not make me pay shipping because of the extra time it took.

Doyle
July 9, 2010, 12:00 PM
but it's a matter of right and wrong not legal and illegal.

That IS a matter of legal and illegal. It is very illegal for a retailer to collect sales tax from a customer and then not remit it to the taxing jurisdiction. State revenue agents are extremely aggressive in tracking down this stuff and their conviction rate is pretty good.

jmortimer
July 9, 2010, 02:24 PM
I really like Cabelas - call me a Cabela's fan. Never had a problem. I order from a few places but during the primer shortage they would at least take back-orders when other would not even take a back-order. I respect that.

nefprotector
July 9, 2010, 06:08 PM
i do I do! Did I win a prize?

lol! I buy from Cabelas all the time no problem.

SmokyBaer
July 10, 2010, 12:46 PM
Just got an email from Cabelas for $5 shipping on orders over $150. Would really help on bulk ammo if they allow it. To check it out use Promo code "7XHOT". :D Looks like that code is good til July 20th.

Meditator
July 12, 2010, 09:00 PM
I ordered my 5.56 ammo from Cabelas last time w/ $5 shipping. It got to my house in three days! P

dean1818
July 12, 2010, 09:13 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of AMMO to Go

They seem to have the best prices

And the service is excellent

oneounceload
July 12, 2010, 09:28 PM
But did you know that many times they have arranged to not pay the sales tax dollars they collect to the state in exchange for them locating there?

Citation please, or I'm saying BS - tax agencies do not wave sales taxes - the local county might waive property taxes, but a state is not going to waive them - that's why they want the retailer there in the first place.

Since Cabela's went with retail stores, their prices have not been as good as when they were only a catalog place (Same with Gander)