PDA

View Full Version : Anyone CCW Beretta 92

C/O
July 3, 2010, 11:13 PM
I really like the Beretta 92 and am considering doing a trade for one. I realize they are but big guns, but I was just wondering if anyone used it for CCW. I am looking for an all purpose pistol. Glocks don't work well for me so I am considering a 92FS.

Please give your experience.

5.56RifleGuy
July 4, 2010, 12:05 AM
I know a guy that uses it for CC. He says its reasonably comfortable. He uses a IWB holster by his hip at an angle. You cant see it on him unless you look real hard.

Single Six
July 4, 2010, 06:52 AM
I'm nobody's expert on anything,but I can tell you what my experience has been. Carrying any handgun concealed has a lot to do with size;that of the gun and that of the person carrying same. A tall,skinny guy trying to effectively conceal a big gun such as the Beretta is going to have a bit of a challenge on his hands,but if he instead uses a 2 inch .38 snub,that would be a lot easier. On the other hand,a big man can often conceal pretty much any handgun he wants without much effort. At the start of my LE career,I was weighing in at 165,all of which was spread along a 6"3 frame. I had trouble concealing my issued S&W 5906 effectively...in fact,when I tried to do so,I looked as though I was trying to shoplift a box of Frosted Flakes. Nowadays,married life,better diet,and regular weight lifting have me at a healthy 225...and I have no trouble concealing my full-sized Ruger P-90. These are just guidelines,I'm not saying you have to be a bigger guy to CCW a big gun..but it helps. How you dress is also a factor in these matters,as well as your preferred carry method [IWB,shoulder holster,etc.]. Hope this helps...and by the way,the Beretta is a great gun.

ShipWreck
July 4, 2010, 08:25 AM
I have been concealing my Beretta 92 for 1 year now in a Comptac IWB Pro Undercover holster. I really like it.

I plan to order a new holster for my Beretta M9a1 (railed Beretta). That will be my new carry gun soon. I am 6'1" and 180, so I am not a huge guy. I carryit at 3 o'clock.

BerettaBuckeye
July 4, 2010, 09:13 AM
I occasionally carry one of mine IWB ( with a Hume holster)just because I want to but as an everyday carry it's just too big. I'm about 190# and 5'9" and I can conceal it with an untucked, heavy shirt. My problem is I usually wear an untucked polo shirt or t-shirt and the huge butt of the 92 just prints too easily whan I move. I switched to a Kahr PM45 and now I can carry the same gun no matter what I'm wearing. Obviously I love the 92 guns but as a carry gun they're not ideal for me. I think if you generally wear a cover garment or wear heavier shirts you'll probably be ok. Good luck

C/O
July 4, 2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the opinions.

sousana
July 6, 2010, 12:52 PM
I carry both the Beretta 92FS and the M9A1 concealed using IWB holsters without any problems at all.

BillCA
July 6, 2010, 01:32 PM
I have the 92FS also and find that I cannot conceal it well without a jacket or other substantial cover garment. It is a large gun with a fat grip and that grip tends to be the problem.

Somene else mentioned body sizes and weights. Think of a man's silhoutte outline from the rear. For most fit & healthy men, their shoulders are wider than their hips and their waist size is an inch or so smaller than their hips. This means that an unfitted shirt or jacket will hang straight down from the shoulders with the outside "drape" of the fabric in line with the armpit (wider than the ribs, slightly less wide than the shoulders). At the waist, this forms a hollow "void" where a handgun can be kept.

Now, as you age or gain weight, the waist expands and those "love handles" take up more room right at this void. This will push the gun outward towards the jacket/cover garment. Combine narrow shoulders with middle-age spread and it's almost impossible to hide a pistol near the hip. Add the bulk of a double-stack magazine and it just makes things worse.

Bat Masterson
July 6, 2010, 05:38 PM
It's a big gun for CCW! A nice piece though.