PDA

View Full Version : 870 cleaning WARNING

kx592
July 2, 2010, 12:29 PM
I don't know about you guys on here with 870's but I always strip the receiver and clean everything in and out. Last night I was doing a friends for the first time so I was really scrubbing inside the receiver and finished up with two bloody finger tips..Slit me on both finger tips running a rag in the rails to get the build up out. So use a heavy rag or go real slow but even then its possible to slice your self real good on those rails.

zippy13
July 2, 2010, 12:46 PM
Welcome to Remington's Blood-Brotherhood. I joined many years ago courtesy of a R-1100.

Maromero
July 2, 2010, 12:51 PM
Use a toothbrush, a hard one, that comes with the head at an angle.

FreakGasolineFight
July 2, 2010, 12:52 PM
Did exactly the same thing myself, a while back.

markj
July 2, 2010, 03:46 PM
Welcome to Remington's Blood-Brotherhood. I joined many years ago courtesy of a R-1100.

I too am a member thanks to my old 1100.

Slopemeno
July 2, 2010, 04:01 PM
Man, try an old Browning Auto 5. Those things are like a pack of razor blades inside.

oneounceload
July 2, 2010, 05:40 PM
Once you cut yourself, you learn to use an old toothbrush and patch.........:D

mc123
July 2, 2010, 05:52 PM
Patch and toothbrush for me. Prior to that got a clean slice on my thumb.

Technosavant
July 2, 2010, 05:55 PM
I've never really been one to stick my fingers into tight spaces with protruding metal bits. Call me Mr. Old Toothbrush when it comes to cleaning the inside of shotgun receivers.

Dfariswheel
July 2, 2010, 06:34 PM
The Express models don't get the de-burring inside and out the more expensive Wingmaster and Police models get

The more expensive models get the finer de-burring inside, but even they have sharp edges. Most guns do.

One of the worse firearms injuries I ever saw was when another guy in the shop was working on an original Winchester Model 1873 rifle.
With the trigger guard out, the lower edges of the receiver are literally like two large knife blades.
He turned away to pick up a tool and ran his hand over the receiver.
It literally cut his hand to the bone.

oneounceload
July 2, 2010, 07:55 PM
The gun I cut MY finger on is my 1100 sporting clay 28 gauge with hi-end wood - not some half-finished 870 Express....the instructions TELL you to be careful of sharp edges..it's a design thing I guess................at least you get to recycle an old toothbrush.............:D

OkieCruffler
July 3, 2010, 10:53 PM
Bunch of wussies. Try slamming a SXS completely shut on the web of your right hand and then try to open it with your left. Yeah, you'll wet your shorts a little, but then you can call yourself a real man.:cool:

Regolith
July 4, 2010, 05:40 AM
Bunch of wussies. Try slamming a SXS completely shut on the web of your right hand and then try to open it with your left. Yeah, you'll wet your shorts a little, but then you can call yourself a real man.

Oh, I don't know...can't be as bad as having the bolt on a Browning Auto 5 take a chunk out of your thumb.

Note to lefties: be very, VERY careful on where you rest your thumb while using a right handed semi auto. ;)

m.p.driver
July 4, 2010, 08:30 AM
Is this like joining the Garand of brothers?You can tell your kind by the swollen thumb.

lmccrock
July 4, 2010, 08:47 AM
1100 Competition Master. Sliced forefinger. Made up some new words.

Is this like joining the Garand of brothers?You can tell your kind by the swollen thumb
No thumb issues, but reassembling my M1 once I had the stock off, spring in, slide locked back, inverted in a rack, then I let it slip and forefinger cushioned the bolt when it closed. Made up words, bled a bunch, wife came out to the garage to see if I was ok. Took a year for the fingernail to grow back.

Lee

IZZY
July 4, 2010, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Bunch of wussies. Try slamming a SXS completely shut on the web of your right hand and then try to open it with your left. Yeah, you'll wet your shorts a little, but then you can call yourself a real man.
Oh, I don't know...can't be as bad as having the bolt on a Browning Auto 5 take a chunk out of your thumb.

Note to lefties: be very, VERY careful on where you rest your thumb while using a right handed semi auto.
Yesterday 10:53 PM

Or cutting yourself on a WASR safety lever just manipulating it down when hearing "bumps in the night" :) Yes I "de-burred" the gun after that.

Stuff happens, I'm glad you learned your lesson, as did I.

markj
July 6, 2010, 04:42 PM
Bunch of wussies. Try slamming a SXS completely shut on the web of your right hand and then try to open it with your left.

My cousin Tim works for UP railroaed, he caught his thumb in a coupler that hooks 2 cars together. It just dropped the nail and was healing up. We were hunting pheasants, saw a tree full of them, sunlite lit them up like Christmas ornaments. We all got out of the truck, a 4 door, Tim was closing the right rear and had his hand on the door jam of the front door, yep you guessed it, door shut on the thumb. Doors locked, guy with the keys 100 yards out in the field. I told Tim to shut the heck up he was scaring all the birds away. :)

We got him unlocked, we went out to the tree, one pheasant got up so I shot it. :) and gave it to Tim.

I usually give him a thumbs up when we get together, he knows why.

OkieCruffler
July 6, 2010, 09:56 PM
That's funny, I love thumb stories. My favorite has nothing to do with guns. Dad was a carpenter by trade. One day he cut the tip of his thumb off with a table saw. ER doc was able to sew it back on. It turned out so well he even called a couple of other docs in to show it off. Dad of course goes back to work the next day and smackes it with a framing hammer. Same doc in the ER stitches it up and tells him never to come back.:D

Nnobby45
July 6, 2010, 10:11 PM

A real man? Perhaps.

A real smart man? Don't think so.:p

radom
July 8, 2010, 04:37 AM
Thats why I run a polish stone along the edges of the rails, receiver cuts and loading ports on the things. Find all the sharpe edges and debur them.

fortyeleven
July 10, 2010, 09:48 AM
I don't understand the cleaning obsession for the 870. You will not get cut if you keep your fingers out of the action, and it is simply not necessary. The 870 is among the most reliable shotguns ever made. You can blow any lose trash out of the action with your mouth or a small air compressor. The carbon build up is not a factor. I have shot maybe 5,000 rounds through my 35 year old 870, and I have never cleaned the action other than blowing out the trash. This is not a low tolerance target rifle or combat rifle. Quit obsessing over the cleaning and just shoot and enjoy.

protagonist
July 12, 2010, 10:36 PM
Yikes! Thanks for the tip, I just purchased an 870 myself for HD.

mete
July 13, 2010, 07:05 AM
Just one of the hazards of being a gunsmith !! They never chamfer sharp edges in the insides of guns !:(

midlandwalther
July 14, 2010, 03:46 AM
Man, I thought I was the only jackass that cut my finger inside a gun. I cut mine last month while cleaning our crusty duty 870.