PDA

View Full Version : Lever Action Rifle Poll

jwalker497
July 1, 2010, 09:06 PM
There's just something about a lever action rifle, I don't know what it is, maybe it's because it's "the cowboy" gun or maybe it's becuase owning a lever action BB gun is a right of passage for many young boys but everytime I go into a gun store, I cannot stop myself from picking one up and playing with it. I know it's an old fashioned design but to this day it still seems absolutely ingenious in design. For me, it's like the 1911 of the rifle world. Simple, no frills, it just works!!

Anyway, aside form the nostalgia, what caliber should I get. My top 2 choices are 30-30 or 44mag. I don't know all that much about these 2 rounds, so which one would be more powerful of the two if fired form the same length barrel??? This would be a fun gun, no hunting, possibly Home Defense as well.

horseman308
July 1, 2010, 09:08 PM
Since you were saying it won't be for hunting, then between the two cartridges you mentioned, I'd take the .44. However, if all you're really going to do is target shoot or maybe home defense, get one in .357mag/.38 special. You can shoot it much more cheaply and .357 will still make a fine HD round in a 16" barrel lever-gun.

Edward429451
July 1, 2010, 09:14 PM
I love the 44 Mag cartridge but I have loaded for and shot both caliber rifles and it is close but my experiance with 30/30 would get the nod. Those 170 gr Hornady bullets are wicked and bring home the venison. Either would be good for plinking or HD. The 30/30 penetrates certain things better than 44 :rolleyes:

So I gave my friend my 30/30 and bought the 45/70 instead, go figure...

TXGunNut
July 1, 2010, 09:15 PM
Can't imagine not having a 94 in 30-30. The other Trapper (in .45 Colt) isn't going anywhere either, at least not before my will is probated. Wouldn't be opposed to a .44 in a 92. I already load for it and have been wanting a 92 for years.

Maromero
July 1, 2010, 09:17 PM
Make it a trapper.

briandg
July 1, 2010, 09:57 PM
Now, you said that it is not for hunting, but for casual practice, shooting, plinking, and maybe use in a home defense situation?

Even if you reload, a 30-30 id not for plinking. It is costly and time consuming to reload them, because of the bottlenech cartridges, jacketed bullets, and 30-40 grain powder charges.

You can go with a .44 magnum, but a .357 or .38 can be loaded for about 5-10 cents a round. You can fire a lot of rounds for a few dollars, have a lot of fun, and gain skills.

As for the last part, you can load a .357 to rifle velocities that will gut out a manatee. I'm figuring that the fat butted hooligan down the street who has come into your home to steal your beer is going to regret it.

jwalker497
July 1, 2010, 09:59 PM
I just realized that the 44 mag rifles a hold about 4 more rounds than a comprable length 30/30. That may be a deciding factor.

gb_in_ga
July 1, 2010, 10:34 PM
Even if you reload, a 30-30 id not for plinking. It is costly and time consuming to reload them, because of the bottlenech cartridges, jacketed bullets, and 30-40 grain powder charges.

If your handloads are developed to emulate factory ammo, then what you say is true. (Well, except that I am not familiar with any loads that approach 40 gr of powder.) But -- you are not limited to emulating factory ammo in .30-30. A popular plinking/small game/varmint load is a .311 165 gr flat nose cast bullet with 7 gr of Unique. No gas check required. It is a powder-puff load that is reasonably accurate in most rifles and hits about like a .22 Mag. Other pistol powders work as well. Granted, you still have to deal with the bottleneck case, but I find that isn't all that big of a deal.

That said, the real differences between the 2 is that the .44 Mag has a higher mag capacity and can be paired with a revolver in the same caliber. .30-30, however, is much flatter shooting due to its significantly higher velocity and better BC -- it is a real rifle round. Thus, the .30-30 is more appropriate for longer ranges.

The one is a pistol caliber. The other is a rifle caliber.

You can go with a .44 magnum, but a .357 or .38 can be loaded for about 5-10 cents a round. You can fire a lot of rounds for a few dollars, have a lot of fun, and gain skills.
See the above load in .30-30. You are talking about the same price range per round.

One thing to keep in mind about .30-30 in the HD role is that factory jacketed ammo is liable to overpenetrate badly. After all, it is hunting ammo designed for deep penetration. If you are going to go that route, you'll probably want to develop a mid-range load (think: emulate a .30 Carbine) using a lighter jacketed hollow point like the 125 gr bullet that Sierra makes. Best I recall, there are even lighter jacketed hollow points available that are intended for varmint use -- sounds like just the ticket.

I don't know all that much about these 2 rounds, so which one would be more powerful of the two if fired form the same length barrel???
The one is a pistol caliber. The other is a rifle caliber. While the .44 throws a larger diameter, heavier bullet, it does so at a significantly lower velocity than the .30-30. When you do the math, you find that the .30-30 gets the nod, energy-wise.

jwalker497
July 1, 2010, 10:39 PM
So GB, for Home defense, which would or did you vote for? Thansk for the info by the way!

RichardWA
July 1, 2010, 10:46 PM
I have both. Marlin 30-30 and Winchester .44 mag. For hunting purposes the 30-30 gets the nod. For general plinking and fun shooting I prefer the .44.
Both are great rifles but it really comes down to personal preferance.

gb_in_ga
July 1, 2010, 11:01 PM
So GB, for Home defense, which would or did you vote for? Thansk for the info by the way!

I voted for .30-30, both in the poll as well as in real life. If it were just for plinking and HD, I'd have seriously considered a .357 Mag carbine (which would match my .357 Mag revolver), but I desired longer range hunting performance and that narrowed the field. That it was less expensive was a bonus, BTW. Mine is a Marlin 336A (new version, 20" barrel) in .30-30. For HD, it is loaded with medium strength handloads using that 125 gr Sierra JHPFN. IIRC, Remington makes a "reduced recoil" load that uses a 125 gr bullet that should serve reasonably well, if you insist on factory loads.

pythagorean
July 2, 2010, 07:21 AM
I like the shorter .44 Magnum in the shorter action for the lever. 1892 Winchester or 1894 Marlin.

moosemike
July 2, 2010, 07:28 AM
I like the 30/30 but have had a couple good 44 mag leverguns as well.

BoneDigger
July 2, 2010, 07:38 AM
30-30 all the way baby!

Todd

L_Killkenny
July 2, 2010, 08:16 AM
If hunting is not in the mix than go with pistol caliber hands down. Cheaper factory ammo and easier to reload do to the straight wall case, carbide dies and no lube. Things become a little blurry when you toss hunting back in but I'd still take a pistol caliber due to it's better versatility.

But make mine a .357 as well. Cheaper ammo and reloading and will do everything you want exceptionally well.

LK

Ozzieman
July 2, 2010, 08:19 AM
I have lever actions in 44 mag and 45/70. I don’t hunt any more ether so if I was in your place I would go with the 44 mag.
I have an old 1894 Marlin that was built in the 60’s and most of the bluing is gone, rust pits, nicks and gouges in the action but the gun always works and is remarkably accurate.
To me for plinking the main advantage of a pistol caliber is cost of shooting. I shoot nothing but lead in mine and at $40 for 500 bullets it’s a cheap gun to shoot.
One problem is that since 44 special is my favorite round and I have a herd of guns in that caliber, I wish my Marlin would shoot Specials. Every bullet that I have ever tried hangs up in the action when loading, one out of 10 rounds fired. And it takes a complete disassembly to clear.
What happens is two rounds come out of the tube and it stops the part that brings the round up to the chamber.
Since cowboy shooting has become so popular, there are a lot more guns and manufactures available and one that I am looking into is the Rossi Ranch Hand. In 44 mag.
It’s a very short lever action being only 24 inches in length. If you’re old enough to have seen Steve McQueen’s “Wanted dead or alive” you will remember the gun.
The Rossi is a little longer but it’s still classified as a lever action repeating center fire pistol since the barrel is only 12 inches.
It would be a totally useless gun but I think it could be fun to plink with.
The biggest problem is that I have very little experience with Rossi and I would have to pick one up and see the quality before putting down any money.

Legionnaire
July 2, 2010, 10:17 AM
This would be a fun gun, no hunting, possibly Home Defense as well. With those criteria, .44 mag ... especially if you reload.

FALshootist
July 2, 2010, 10:19 AM
For straight up hunting I would have voted for the 30-30 but I have a 30-06 for that and I don't need another caliber.

Whereas the 44 mag would do very nicely with my 629. One caliber for both guns and the 44 will do what needs doing out to 100 yards.

Will I buy one? Probably not. I think a 357/38 special will work almost as well and its a hell of alot cheaper to shoot than the 44. and the 357 handgun weighs less than the 44, making for a more enjoyable walk in the woods.

Tom Matiska
July 2, 2010, 12:25 PM
44 Mag out of 20" barrel is very polite at the range, even more polite if you load 44 Specials. Most importantly, it gives you a good excuse to get a companion pistol so you can take both to the range together.

Dino.
July 2, 2010, 12:31 PM
Neither ...
Mine is a .357/.38sp

Good "all purpose" cartridge, fairly inexpensive, and from what I've read, decent enough to take a deer up to 100' which is further than I would probably feel comfortable in taking a shot with open sights. ;)

ronto
July 2, 2010, 01:28 PM
I have Marlin 336 in 30-30, but not for HD.
If plinking and targets are what you plan to do most, then get a 22LR for that and a 12ga pump for HD.

Zhillsauditor
July 2, 2010, 05:20 PM
How about ye ole .22lr? Cheap, cheap, cheap. A henry goes for about $250. Fun plinker. If you really want to feel the old west spirit, get an winchester 1866 or 1873 in 44/40.

James R. Burke
July 2, 2010, 07:54 PM
I like them both. Levers are just cool. Most of them I do not think are good for a first time hunter safety wise. Going in and out of the chamber to unload. The Browning does have a magazine, but not those calibers. But like I said I do like them.

Bamashooter
July 2, 2010, 08:01 PM
i would choose .44mag. just becouse i have lots of brass and dies for that caliber. plus its a 44mag. :)

gb_in_ga
July 3, 2010, 12:59 AM
Neither ...
Mine is a .357/.38sp

Good "all purpose" cartridge, fairly inexpensive, and from what I've read, decent enough to take a deer up to 100' which is further than I would probably feel comfortable in taking a shot with open sights.
100'? A .357 Mag carbine is actually good for deer out to about 125 yards or so. 100' is only 33 yards, and that is just a chip shot. Piece of cake. With some practice, 100 yards on a deer with open sights isn't all that difficult. You might want to upgrade your stock sights for a set of Williams Peeps.

...Probably not. I think a 357/38 special will work almost as well and its a hell of alot cheaper to shoot than the 44. and the 357 handgun weighs less than the 44, making for a more enjoyable walk in the woods.
You've got a point there. If it were me and if I were going to go the handgun caliber route, then in my mind the .357 Mag carbine makes more sense. And that doesn't take into account my personal preference in handgun. The .357 Mag companion handgun can be a lighter, easier totin' package on the hip, and that counts for something in the field. Then again, if your woods have bigger, tougher nasties than we have here in Tx, you may find that the extra oomph that the .44 brings is worth the extra weight. Around here, we don't need it, .357 Mag is ample.

OJ
July 3, 2010, 10:08 AM
For plinking - how can the 22 rimfire be beat??? My Browning BL22 is pure joy in all areas - accuracy, balance, and general beauty - plus, you can plink all day for just a few bucks and I enjoy rimfire plinking as much as certerfire --

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/ABL222.jpg

And, for 30-30 - a Winchester 94 is hard to beat -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/AWINCHESTER942.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/BUFFALOBILL94A.jpg

However, to be complete, a 30-06 is needed - hard to beat a Winchester 95 in Hi Grade -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/AWINCHESTER95-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/IMG_1494_edited-1.jpg

Lever guns are hard to beat - if you don't mind the general appearance -

YMMV

gak
July 3, 2010, 12:56 PM
Horseman308 said
Since you were saying it won't be for hunting, then between the two cartridges you mentioned, I'd take the .44. However, if all you're really going to do is target shoot or maybe home defense, get one in .357mag/.38 special. You can shoot it much more cheaply and .357 will still make a fine HD round in a 16" barrel lever-gun.

Others have said basically the same thing, but the first responder got it right--for the intended use the OP stated. I have all three (.357, .30-30 and .44 mag) and will stick with the .44 in this as those were the OP's choices--and they're good ones. But I can't argue against Horseman's .357 statement either. The .44 does give more latitude for hunting along the lines of a .30-30--up to 150 yds--vs the .357, should the OP decide to dabble in that as well, while doing the HD duty "better" than the .30-30.

COSteve
July 3, 2010, 11:41 PM
I'll throw in another vote for one (or two) in 38spl / 357mag. Light, fast, cheap to shoot, low recoil, and just plain fun at the range, plinking, or hunting all the way up to deer sized animals, that's the capability of the 357mag family.

I've got both a 24" Rossi rifle and 20" Rossi carbine and they are a ton of fun to shoot and only cost me 11¢ per round shooting a 158grn Zero JSP bullet. You also can get a nice 357mag SAA and have a great walk in the woods.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/100_7695.jpg

gak
July 8, 2010, 02:30 PM
I'm kinda surprised at the poll results thus far favoring the .30-30 over the .44 as strongly as it does, since the OP stated "no hunting."

zombieslayer
July 8, 2010, 03:23 PM
I voted 44mag because of the premise it wouldn't be used for hunting. Plus- you'll get more capacity. Sounds like to me you'd have a bit more fun with the 44. I'm a huge fan of 30-30 too. At practical, realistic ranges the deer here in fl drop just as well from a 44mag as a 30-30, if you did want to hunt. Just my 2cents

pythagorean
July 8, 2010, 03:31 PM
An 1892 .44 Magnum holds 10+ rounds and a .30-30 holds 7 loaded.
I am in a thicket. I have a problem with a bear. We are both contemplating survival at stone's throw with claws and teeth and repeater lever.

The .30-30 is now anemic in firepower. The KE is the same at close quarters.

Which would you choose?

Please don't choose the .357 carbine over either the .30-30 or .44 Magnum.

And forget the .45 LC carbine altogether.

gb_in_ga
July 8, 2010, 03:41 PM
I am in a thicket. I have a problem with a bear. We are both contemplating survival at stone's throw with claws and teeth and repeater lever.

Which would you choose?
I see no reason to change from the .30-30 I'd be carrying. The secret to protection against the likes of Mr. Bear is penetration, and that comes from sectional density. In other words, how long is the bullet in comparison to the diameter -- longer is better. Granted, I'm assuming the use of hard cast, flat nosed lead bullets in both cases. You really don't want to be using soft point expanding bullets in this application, and you don't want pointy bullets, either, they are more likely to deflect off of the sloped skull of Mr. Bear. The longer .30-30 bullet has better SD than the shorter .44 Mag bullet, and thus will get better penetration through heavy bone, which you'll need to penetrate to Mr. Bear's CNS, and that is what it takes to take him down in a timely manner.

Regarding magazine capacity -- that is a non-issue here. If Mr. Bear were close enough so that you would be justified in shooting him in self defense, you won't even have time to get off the 7 shots that the .30-30 has.

FWIW, if I had my druthers in the matter, I'd be toting a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 in that situation, assuming that I knew that I might be facing Mr. Bear up close and personal. That, or a 12 ga pump with slugs.

pythagorean
July 8, 2010, 03:45 PM
The shotgun is useless. High powered rifles are better. The 12 gauge loaded with any birdshot will not penetrate a 2X4. Or don't you know this and have tried to see it?

Buckshot is for bucks. Not bear.

And the slug is for humans or deer. Not bear.

All shotgun fanatics need a lesson in compressed lethal zone results. Anyone who posts the shotgun as a better weapon against a bear than a penetrating high power rifle round needs a lesson.

Line up for the lesson if you are still ill advised.

gb_in_ga
July 8, 2010, 03:49 PM
The shotgun is useless. High powered rifles are better. The 12 gauge loaded with any birdshot will not penetrate a 2X4. Or don't you know this and have tried to see it?

Buckshot is for bucks. Not bear.

All shotgun fanatics need a lesson in compressed lethal zone results. Anyone who posts the shotgun as a better weapon against a bear than a penetrating high power rifle round needs a lesson.

Line up for the lesson if you are still ill advised.

Yah, right... :rolleyes:

While the slug doesn't have as much SD as a suitable rifle bullet, it isn't bad. And what it doesn't have in SD it makes up for in follow-up shot speed.

FWIW, you use slugs for deer, and you use buckshot on humans.

The best solution is the Guide Gun, BTW. Your choice: .444 Marlin, .450 Marlin Mag, or .45-70 will all do the job as well as can be expected.

Yes, you could graduate to the big mag rifles like you'd use in Africa for the "Big 5" -- they'd do the job just fine. But you give up quick(er) follow-up shots and you also have to deal with the weight. On a per-shot basis, they are the best, but then again they are kinda impractical.

OJ
July 8, 2010, 04:08 PM
I dunno - my first Winchester 94 was in 32 Winchester special - ballistics I understand being similar to 30-30 - the only game we had in the Nebraska Sandhills in the 1930s were coyotes - it did the job on them.

My current 94 is in 30-30 - 26" barrel - holds 9 rounds in the magazine. Dunno about grizzlies but feel it would take care of bruins with a good hit and grizzlies are mostly limited in their domain, I think.

My Winchester 95 is 30-06 - it should do most of what's needed in the lower 48, at least.

wilkersk
July 8, 2010, 04:09 PM
I inherited a 94AE in .44 mag. I kinda felt a certain ambivalence about that rifle. I sold it a few months ago.

But, when an older .30-30 came up for trade, I traded for it and don't regret it one bit. Just something about that old cowboy gun that makes it so much more appealing than the almost toy like look of that newer '94AE.

thesheepdog
July 8, 2010, 04:14 PM
Do they make 16in Lever-actions in .44 mag anymore?

longranger
July 8, 2010, 05:18 PM

Outstandingly ignorant,are you aware that a bottleneck cartridge requires only a 2 die set while all straight wall cases require a 3 die set.So if using 2 dies is harder than additional expanding step with the .44/striaght wall case for you then you are indeed unique.
I will always reload a bottleneck cartridge must faster than any straight wall cases as will most reloaders.
I don't understand how a bottleneck cartridge is harder to reload.:confused:
I will shoot my .32 Win Spec. much cheaper than you will your .44 anything.

cje1980
July 10, 2010, 12:10 AM
In regards to defensive loads for the 30-30. Two well proven loads are the regular plain jane(non bonded) Win 150 gr HP and the Federal 125 gr JHP. These have been tested by LE agencies and their performance is well documented. Every single test I've seen of either of these loads show them penetrating 12-16" inches and expanding and fragmenting violently.

I think its largely a myth that rifle projectiles over-penetrate in defensive settings. Sure if you use a heavy for caliber projectile that is bonded and designed for big game that will be the case. The only reason these were ever designed in the first place is because plane jane hunting ammo busts apart at close range. Countless tests have shown that even loads from 30-06 and 308Win penetrate about the same as pistol rounds. In reality, HPs from pistol rounds tend to clog up in building materials and are know to penetrate 20 or more inches of ballistics gelatin after passing through a barrier. Rifle rounds pretty much perform the same after passing through building materials. The bottom line is that if you miss your target it will overpenetrate and could potentially do harm to somebody else. If the projectile you are using can't penetrate through a wall it isn't going to do diddly squat to the bad guy intending to do harm. Its that simple. The myth of over penetration will never stop. You hit your target it isn't likely the projectile will still have enough juice to do harm to somebody else. You miss, it probably will. There are no magic bullets.

Hanzerik
July 10, 2010, 11:35 PM
Do they make 16in Lever-actions in .44 mag anymore?

Yes. Both of these are .44Mag (I chose .44 in the poll)
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/pics/Puma/Right%20Side%201.JPG

TXGunNut
July 11, 2010, 12:03 AM
Who built those beauties, Hanzerik?

Hanzerik
July 11, 2010, 12:20 AM
Who built those beauties, Hanzerik?

Both are LSI Rossi/Pumas, bought last year online from Bud's Gunshop when they were fairly cheap (these are the Brazilian made guns not the Italian ones). Top one is a 20" Short Rifle, the botton is a 16" trapper/carbine. Both have had the factory sights swapped out with Marble Arms stuff (Same as COSteve's guns further up the page)

Nice and short (13 year old Son blasting away)
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/pics/Shooting-May-10/2010-05-20-18-30-49.jpg

Laid out for a glory shot along with the other guns taken to the range that day:
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/pics/Shooting-May-10/2010-05-20-18-23-30.jpg

Old Grump
July 11, 2010, 12:00 PM
Plinking and HD I would seriously consider a Marlin model 1894C and shoot 38 spcl. Just as much fun, powerful enough for HD and only a 22 would be cheaper to shoot. A box of 357 magnum for anything serious and you are good to go.

jwalker497
July 19, 2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Not interested in 22LR right now, although it would be fun. This would be strictly for HD. So does anyone have any numbers as to how a 30/30 vs 44mag from the same rifle stack up?? Which would be better for Home Defense? I have hunting rifles, this would not be for that. I think it would be helpful for some energy or ballistic gel resutls for these 2 rounds.

midlandwalther
July 20, 2010, 01:01 PM
I, too, would have .357mag instead. Cheap .38's and strong .357's make it a versatile combination.

Buzzcook
July 20, 2010, 01:42 PM

Which would you choose?

Looks like you've already made your choice. Be happy with it.

Lots of bear have died not knowing slugs wouldn't do the job.

Big Bill
July 20, 2010, 02:11 PM
I said 30-30 because the ammo is cheaper than .44 and it's better at longer ranges.

jwalker497
July 20, 2010, 09:48 PM
Set aside ammo cost, number of rounds (albeit very important in my book) how do the 2 compare balistically?? At 50, 100, 200 yards, which one has more power? I'm looking for some concrete numbers and facts to compare the 2 rounds .

Buzzcook
July 20, 2010, 11:43 PM
http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/30_30_winchester.html

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/44_rem_mag.html

dgludwig
August 13, 2010, 11:28 PM
Futty-futty doesn't sound nearly as cool as thutty-thutty.

OJ
August 13, 2010, 11:43 PM
As luck would have it, I passed the 84th anniversary of my arrival on this planet day before yesterday and my good - no - GREAT - wife rewarded me with this Winchester 94 Canadian Centennial 1867-1967 Commemorative 30-30. Used but in very good condition and the 20" barrel goes well with my Buffalo Bill Commemorative 26" barrel.

Just happened to have this Williams D5 94-36 aperture rear sight and managed to zero sights with less than one box of ammo.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/003.jpg

Never expected to live this long but, life is still good and I'm enjoying it.

:D

BfloBill
August 13, 2010, 11:59 PM
I have a Marlin 1895 in .450 Marlin, and a Savage Model 99 in .250, lever guns are awesome. As much as I am a fan of overkill I have to say that if all you are doing is target and home defense I can't see a reason not to go
.38/.357 instead of .44. (30/30 shouldn't even be in the running)

roy reali
August 14, 2010, 12:01 AM

Check out another number, sectional density. Compare the bullets from each and you will see which one you would want facing an angry bear.

stegar1
August 23, 2010, 09:26 AM
go with the .44 mag. i had a win/94 16" i should never have parted with.i have a m92 .454 20" i love as well. just wish they would make one in .500 sw

GeauxTide
August 23, 2010, 11:09 AM
Mineza 44 1894.

Kmar40
August 23, 2010, 08:35 PM
what caliber should I get. My top 2 choices are 30-30 or 44mag. I don't know all that much about these 2 rounds, so which one would be more powerful of the two if fired form the same length barrel???No doubt there. The 30/30 is more powerful. But the 44 from a rifle is more than powerful enough for medium sized mammals at short range to medium range.

This would be a fun gun, no hunting, possibly Home Defense as well. Well, 44 ammo is cheaper and would be my choice for home defense.

Actually a .357 would be more likely my choice for home defense and fun gun, but you didn't ask that.

When did this become a bear gun question? Someone can't read? Or assumes we all live in Alaska? I guess it doesn't matter, for bear gun my choice is 45/70.

stevelyn
August 24, 2010, 03:18 AM
Out of the choices given, the .30-30 hands down, although I personally have a thing for the .35 Remington.

gak
August 24, 2010, 06:20 PM
I think I've already said this, but bears repeating. Based on the OP's question and use criteria, I'm still surprised by the poll results. They should be reversed--the .44 should be the clear winner, 2:1--based on capacity, "plinking" utility and its relative usefulness/effectiveness as an SD/HD round. I have and love both those of the OP's inquiry, as well as .357--with 30-40 years of experience with each--Win 94s and 92 clones--the .30-30/94 the most 'cause of availability early on.

I don't even disagree with the response (content) of many of the .357 fans--regarding that cartridge's great versatility, but that wasn't OP's.question. Folks are responding as if the question was "what's your favorite all around lever round?" or "between the .30-30, .357 and .44...?" Also, I think many responders haven't had much, if any, .44 rifle/carbine experience...or so the responses would indicate.

badlander
August 24, 2010, 08:26 PM
Members here voted 2 to 1 in favor of the 30-30 over the.44 Mag. and you say we are all wrong. You must be A Democrat.

Legionnaire
August 25, 2010, 10:30 AM
So, jwalker497, made a decision yet? Need to report in ... preferably with pics!

Cousin Toad
August 26, 2010, 02:12 PM
I voted 30-30 because I bought a Marlin 336 SS last week. I thought long and hard about a 1894C SS because I have a few .357s, but I had never owned a lever centerfire of any kind, but have borrowed and shot a few 30-30s of the Marlin persuation over the years. I think a .44 magnum out of a rifle would be a formidable weapon within 100-150 yds and fairly quick handling to boot.

My biggest reason for choosing the 30-30 is that it is a rifle cartridge, not a pistol cartridge and with skill and the right ammunition it is good to 250 yds.
The good ole 30-30 has killed about every kind of critter there is and it works and been proven to work over and over, it has also been used by LEO in the past for that type of work.

Ammo cost and availablity is another factor for me about buying firearms. 30-30 is available just about anywhere. The cost of of ammo at Wally world for cheap federal is about $12.00 a box, for those of you that reload it is probably much cheaper. (I don't reload at the present) In my opinion you are not giving up anything by choosing that old 30-30 verses the pistol caliber rifles.

I think the biggest dilema I have now is whether to scope it or put on some of the ghost ring or truglo sights.

dgludwig
August 26, 2010, 06:56 PM
Don't scope it! You'll only compromise the very reason a little lever-action has been so popular over the years: handling qualities! Any scope will only detract from any carbine's reason for being. Put a good receiver sight on it (like a Williams "Fool Proof") and never look back.

Gunplummer
August 27, 2010, 10:09 AM
I agree, forget the scope. I and a lot of people shoot a lever action better with out a scope. They were not designed for scopes and don't fit you well with one on it.

bamaranger
August 28, 2010, 03:33 AM
I have not read all the posts, but for a GP rifle that I intend to shoot a lot, but not necessarily hunt, the .44 or even a .357 gets the quick nod.

Not because of the caliber debate. That the 30-30 is more gun in most departments will not get an argument from me. I agree. Faster, flatter, a rifle cartridge w/o question.

What decides the issue for me, and causes me to choose a pistol ctg for a carbine that'll be shot a lot is the ease of reloading straight walled pistol ctgs w/ carbide dies. NO HAVING TO LUBE cases. Bulk loading possible on progressive press, and simplified single stage sizing and loading too.

Bagmup
August 28, 2010, 04:21 AM
30-30...Lever actions and them are just meant to be.

Win_94
August 28, 2010, 04:27 AM
Like was said, a good sight with clickable knob or screw adjustments for elevation and windage will work. But a scope is wonderful for shooting things that are too small for unaided eyes.

Decisions like that are a personal preference. Decide what what kind of shooting you want to do with it and take it from there.

P.S. I regularly shoot my 30-30 at 300 and 400 yards.

Buckeye!
August 28, 2010, 09:43 PM
I chose the 30-30..I own two centerfire sporting rifles (carbines)
a 18.5 Marlin 336 custom gun in 30-30 and a Puma 16in in 357 Mag....
I thinned the herd from 32 Centerfire rifles to these two..
these are my choices
I cut leverguns in 454 Casual, 444 Marlin, 45-70, 44 Mag, 35 Rem., 375 Win. 356 Win. ,30-30 , and Bolt guns in 6.5X55 ,303 British,30-06 .7mm Rem,8mm-06, 375 H&H ,270 Win. 30-30, 300win. Mag ,308 win. 243 Win.

And these two Leverguns were the only ones to make the cut.
So I guess you must know ,How I regaurd the versitility of these two Leverguns & Cartridges. They are both fine combos for Black Bear and Whitetails & Hawgs in my area.