PDA

View Full Version : Rossi .22 revolver help,,,

aarondhgraham
June 24, 2010, 02:28 PM
Hello gentlemen:

I just traded an old dead camera for a Rossi Model 511 stainless steel DA revolver in .22 LR,,,
I inspected the gun very carefully and it does have one small problem.

What do you call the "star" looking thing that the pawl pushes against to turn the cylinder?
One of the arms is worn such that it will not turn the cylinder 1 out of 6 pulls of the trigger.

My questions are:
1) What is that part called and where might I find that part?
2) Is it something I would be able to replace myself?

After determining that it is only in one position that the cylinder won't turn I took the gun to the range and tried it out,,,
The action is very smooth and the pistol seems to be a very accurate shooter,,,
In short, since I have absolutely no actual money invested in it as yet,,,
I think it is definitely worth spending a little on fixing it.

I forgot to take a picture of the cylinder,,,
I'll post it here tomorrow.

Any help you can provide,,,
Like how to disassemble the ejector mechanism,,,
Would be greatly appreciated as I am ignorant as to how to take it apart.

Thanks in advance gentlemen,,,

PetahW
June 24, 2010, 03:28 PM
My questions are:
1) What is that part called and where might I find that part? - It is called the ratchet by most manufacturers.

2) Is it something I would be able to replace myself? - Yes, but if you do, you will most likely damage the extractor trying to disassemble it incorrectly, and the ratchet/pawl needs to be fitted by a gunsmith who knows how to use a range rod (special tool).

My $0.02: Call taurus Customer Service. Taurus recently bought Rossi and might repair the revolver - maybe under warranty.

for2nato
June 25, 2010, 04:14 PM
first is you can find the exact part number on the taurus site. just use the link at the bottom of the home page that says find my model. enter your serial and it will bring up the details of your gun. including a link to the owners manual. there is an exploded view in the manual with part numbers.

second. the part is fairly easy to replace. the knurled tip on the end of the extractor rod unscrews. its reverse thread though. so lefty tighty, righty loosey. once you unscrew that tip the extractor rod will slide out one way and the ratchet the other.

taurus would also be the parts supplier for you on this gun. so in the end you will need to call them. if you send in the old part they will send you a new one free of charge. or you can just order the new part and pay for it.

born2die
September 8, 2010, 06:30 PM
I found this thread in Google... Have a Rossi m511 revolver with a similar problem.

Just wondering, was Taurus support any help?

aarondhgraham
September 9, 2010, 09:45 AM
Nope,,,
Taurus said they didn't support any of the old Rossi revolvers.