PDA

View Full Version : Sleep with round chambered?

primetime
June 24, 2010, 08:39 AM
Hey guys I'm sure many of you are like me and sleep with your handgun on your night stand or bed under your pillow etc.. I do not "chamber" a round though, I have my G19 fully loaded but I don't have a round chambered per say. I'm too afraid in a sleeping daze the gun might go off (i know a little paranoid) so I elect not to chamber a round. How about you guys?

Uncle Malice
June 24, 2010, 08:43 AM
I do keep my gun on my night stand, usually P229. It is loaded and one in the chamber.

I would never sleep with a gun under my pillow. That seems ridiculously dangerous.

primetime
June 24, 2010, 08:54 AM
Yeah i agree..I tried the pillow thing one night and just didn't like it. Too dangerous.. so back on the nightstand it went. But at this moment i still don't chamber a round...hmm maybe i should rethink that though.

WC145
June 24, 2010, 09:19 AM
Why anyone would put a gun under their pillow is beyond me.
Normally I have a revolver on the night stand, fully loaded of course. If not a revolver it's a 1911, loaded, cocked, and locked.

Skans
June 24, 2010, 09:20 AM
With a Glock, no. With other DA/SA pistols, yes.

Hardcase
June 24, 2010, 09:29 AM
I've got a Walther P5 in a holster on the nightstand with a round in the chamber. My wife has a Ruger LCP in a holster on her nightstand with one in the chamber, too. We're both comfortable with that, since they're DA pistols (well, the P5 is DA on the first shot.)

When the nieces and nephews come over, they go in the safe.

angel71rs
June 24, 2010, 09:30 AM
Sleep with a pistol on my night stand, fully loaded, round in the chamber. But it's a DAO with a relatively heavy trigger. Would not trust myself not to ND the thing if awoken from a deep sleep if it was something with a light trigger.

Every time my alarm wakes me, and I'm flopping around trying to get myself together, I practice reaching over and picking up my pistol with my trigger finger along the side of the pistol. Hopefully this burns itself into my sub conscience, muscle memory or something, and I'll do it automatically in a high stress situation.

aarondhgraham
June 24, 2010, 09:35 AM
I screwed an old Uncle Mikes holster to the sideboard of the bedframe,,,
It really keeps the gun in a very convenient draw position,,,
I purposely chose a revolver over a semi-auto,,,
Like others, I want simple in a HD gun.

skydiver3346
June 24, 2010, 09:45 AM
I guess it just comes down to the concept of "to each his own" on this question.
I definitely keep my Glock 21 fully loaded with one in the chamber at all times. Why? Because when you a dead asleep and an intruder comes in your bedroom, you are not going to have a lot of time to grab your gun, rack it back (and hopefully seat a round properly in the chamber), then aim and fire, etc.
Best case scenario for that situation is to be able to grab your gun, aim and fire, etc. Of course, I do have a 150 lumen tactical light on my pistol and that should slow someone down somewhat when hit in the eyes by such a blinding flash of light. But bottom line is that you must be able to re-act fast in a home invasion situation like that. If you have time to rack a round in the chamber that is fine, but sometimes you may not have time, so that is why I keep mine ready to fire at all times....

highvel
June 24, 2010, 09:52 AM
I always have a "Cocked and Locked" in the bedroom, my belief is under high stress and foggy brain (After being scared awake) there maybe a good possibility of not getting a round chambered properly.

Then you might as well have a stick.

eagleninezero
June 24, 2010, 10:29 AM
I keep mine chambered, but it is a DA/SA and I keep it in a handgun safe near the bed. I have kiddos, so open access is a no-no.

Cheapshooter
June 24, 2010, 10:39 AM
Cocked, locked, and ready to rock!!!
I'm not in the movies or on a TV crime drama. If the times comes that I need my HD gun, I'm not racking the slide for "dramatic effect"!!!
That being said, at this time there are no children in my home, so it doesn't bother me to have it loaded and in a night stand drawer. When the expected grandchild arrives, and when her/she is old enough to wander around when visiting, things will change. Probably a pistol safe in the drawer.

SFSElite
June 24, 2010, 10:43 AM
I keep mine in the night stand, mag in and round in the chamber. No kids in the house to worry about. But if one of the cats can get a hold of the pistol, well.....i got bigger problems to deal with in that case.

stargazer65
June 24, 2010, 10:45 AM
I put mine round chambered in a quick access safe beside the bed at night, because I have a small kid. I used to leave the safe unlocked at night, but had concerns that I might get up and forget to lock it. When my youngest is a few years older I'll keep it unlocked at night again.

(BH)
June 24, 2010, 10:58 AM
Yup. Holster's mounted to the back of the bedside table with a round in the chamber.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
June 24, 2010, 11:03 AM
Ruger P95--safety model---chambered---decocked with the safety on. I like how the trigger goes to mush when the safety is on.

Kreyzhorse
June 24, 2010, 11:07 AM
My Glock 22 is my current bedside gun and it has a round chambered. In my opinion, if you are keeping a gun handy for SD within arms reach, it might as well be ready to go.

Keeping a gun under you pillow? No way.

GeauxTide
June 24, 2010, 11:13 AM
1911, Condition One in the nightstand. When kids were in the house, Condition Three.

primetime
June 24, 2010, 11:14 AM
Looks like the "chambered" brethren have it! I think i'm going to revisit the idea of chambering a round in my Glock 19..Its just with no external safety, I don't know, I felt wierd about it especially with how groggy i am if i wake up or something..But it being on the nightstand..It probably won't hurt to have it chambered and ready to go..

Sixer
June 24, 2010, 11:16 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here...

I keep a Glock 23 in reach with a full mag and empty chamber. I can't argue against keeping a round in the pipe, but I prefer not to. No real reason other than the thought of letting a round slip in some kind of half-asleep haze.

I also have an 18.5" Mossberg close by, safety off, slugs in the tube. One pump and its ready to roll. Just personal preference I guess.

primetime
June 24, 2010, 11:18 AM
Yes Sixer, that was my worry too... In our sleeping daze, with no external safety on Glocks, i was worried about it..But I might change my mind now...

ostrobothnian
June 24, 2010, 11:29 AM
1911A1, Nightstand. Cocked and locked. Condition one.

No children in the house just two cats. If they can figure out how to release the safety and pull the trigger with their paws that could be an issue. They usually run away though when I rack the slide as they are afraid of the noise that makes. :)

Delaware_Dan
June 24, 2010, 11:31 AM
For HD, I keep a Sig P250c 9mm with an empty chamber. I usually fall asleep on the downstairs couch and wake up a couple hours later and stumble upstairs to bed. I keep an empty chamber in case I trip going up the stairs while half asleep.

foghorn leghorn
June 24, 2010, 11:34 AM
my shirt has my bullet, and it is always by my bed
http://www.insidesocal.com/click/barney_fife.jpg

IMTHDUKE
June 24, 2010, 11:36 AM
Why anyone would want to sleep with a loaded gun under their pillow is beyond understanding:eek:

I just put these in the bed with me and feel extra safe:D However, the wife does complain.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/mostguns.jpg

ostrobothnian
June 24, 2010, 12:23 PM
Why anyone would want to sleep with a loaded gun under their pillow is beyond understanding

I just put these in the bed with me and feel extra safe However, the wife does complain.

Lol. That little guy in the middle is surrounded! :D

LarryFlew
June 24, 2010, 12:30 PM
Along with how many didn't chamber a round (like you have time and or brain power to think of that waking from a dead sleep with a prowler in your room) I was surprised by the number that keep that gun ON the nightstand. Lookin' for the race of who can get to it fastest, the wide awake prowler in your room or sleepy head you????????????

LockedBreech
June 24, 2010, 12:35 PM
I keep my Beretta in the drawer of my nightstand, round chambered, no safety.

Delaware_Dan
June 24, 2010, 12:58 PM
I was surprised by the number that keep that gun ON the nightstand. Lookin' for the race of who can get to it fastest, the wide awake prowler in your room or sleepy head you????????????

Thats a good point, but my nightstand is mearly a table that holds my cell phone, alarm clock, flashlight and pistol. Everything on said table is within arms reach if I'm in bed. Maybe some peoples night stand is not close to them when they sleep, but mine is about 2 inches from the side of the bed. It helps that our pit/lab mix sleeps in our bed, and he doesn't miss a beat. If a BG gets upstairs, I feel confident that I will be WIDE awake at that point. Nothing beats a good, loud dog to wake me right up. I like you line of thought though, it's not something that gets brought up much.

Skans
June 24, 2010, 01:30 PM
(like you have time and or brain power to think of that waking from a dead sleep with a prowler in your room)

If I'm still asleep by the time a prowler is inside my room, I going to be in deep doo-doo, even if I sleep with my gun duct-taped to my hand!:eek:

IMTHDUKE
June 24, 2010, 02:36 PM
If I'm still asleep by the time a prowler is inside my room, I going to be in deep doo-doo, even if I sleep with my gun duct-taped to my hand!

Would you use FMJ duct tape or hollow point?:D

tdrizzle
June 24, 2010, 02:49 PM
I would if I slept.

indykappa
June 24, 2010, 03:38 PM
i GUESS i understand the hesitation to sleep with a "loaded pipe", but i refuse to AGREE with that mindset.

first, let me say that i respect everyone's opinion.

(now that i have that out of the way)...i respectfully disagree with keeping a firearm unloaded while i sleep. i have only been shooting for about 8 years, but in those 8 years i have trained myself that there is only ONE ACCEPTABLE WAY to acquire/pickup a firearm. i don't care if i'm sleepy, dizzy, drunk (just kidding), or whatever...whenever i pick up a gun, my finger stays out of the trigger guard.

again, i'm not trying to be disrespectful, but i think some additional training would assist the OP with the necessary muscle memory to keep his firearm loaded and safely within reach at the same time.

primetime
June 24, 2010, 03:52 PM
indy..your thoughts are welcome.

My firearm is always within reach of me on my nightstand next to my bed..Muscle memory is there, trust me...My concern is with my particular handgun (glock) I was reluctant to chamber a round while sleeping, since there is no external safety.

Finger outside the trigger gaurd is day one stuff, and if people here don't at least practice that then THEY need more training or classes etc..but we all know accidents can happen, while half asleep, i'm sure the chances are probably higher. So that was the purpose of me asking everyone else how they handle their bedside firearms while asleep. Cheers.

Tom Servo
June 24, 2010, 03:54 PM
I just put these in the bed with me and feel extra safe However, the wife does complain.
Heck, I've fallen asleep with my gun on. Trust me, the back-ache the next day is a nightmare :rolleyes:

When I was younger, I had a few isolated instances of sleepwalking. As a result, I actually keep the gun on a bookshelf across the bedroom. It's a revolver, holstered and fully loaded.

IMTHDUKE
June 24, 2010, 04:13 PM
I think it is pretty obvious here that one size does not fit all. Everyone is different with different situations. For example, I have what the doctors call "Night Events" related to Vietnam combat. Many times I have jumped completely out of bed crashing into tables, injuring myself enough to require stitches. I have slugged my wife or had her around the neck before I got awake. She is learning to not fight back. :D It would be funny if it was not so serious.

Therefore, I dare not lay a loaded gun next to my bed. That could be a disaster waiting to happen the consequences I would live with till I die. I don't even want to think about what could happen. So, my gun stays loaded in a biometric safe bolted to a file cabinet across the room. It requires me to open by finger print in 2-3 seconds. I never walk without waking and when I hit the floor, sometime head first, I alway awaken:D

I'm just saying...one size does not fit all in most any situation.

Puff
June 24, 2010, 04:15 PM
Never in the chamber..Just keep my magazines loaded

curt.45
June 24, 2010, 04:35 PM
mines loaded with one in the pipe on the head board, on a few occasions I've woke up startled, checked the house (in the dark) but still had a bad feeling so yes I put the gun under the pillow, just in case some one managed to get in the room before I woke up and would see the gun on the head board. just FWIW in fifteen years that has happened maybe three times. the neighbors have been broken into several times and I used to work nights.

Don P
June 24, 2010, 04:36 PM
On the night stand HOT! ready to rock & roll:eek:. What's this pillow thing people are talking about?:confused:

curt.45
June 24, 2010, 04:40 PM
A pillow is the thing you put between your head and your gun for comfort, or maybe the gun is for comfort I get that mixed up all the time.

zombieslayer
June 24, 2010, 04:52 PM
I own over 15 guns, at least 8 of which are loaded always.

Don P
June 24, 2010, 05:22 PM
Forgot to mention, I sleep with me wife not me gun:eek:

psyshack
June 24, 2010, 07:59 PM
What ever I put on the nightstand is loaded and one in the pipe.

CMichael
June 24, 2010, 08:06 PM
Michael Dalton, who teaches civilians and law enforcement highly recommends leaving the gun chambered, but NOT to put it under your pillow or in your night table.

Why not the night table? Because that's the first place an intruder will look.

I think the video is well worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsxbn3-2ohg

foghorn leghorn
June 24, 2010, 08:55 PM
What's up, doc?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_j-fyXu7QUbo/S5A2BSF3A1I/AAAAAAAAAKw/-GrUeBCg-zw/doc.jpg

orionengnr
June 24, 2010, 09:08 PM
Why anyone would want to sleep with an unloaded gun anywhere near you is beyond understanding
There, fixed it for you. :)
For me:
Whether it is a shotgun, a revolver, a 1911, or a polymer wunder-gun...it is loaded and ready to use. No question.

Edited to ad: I have the patented Four-Dog alarm system. So the issue of the BG getting in undetected and examining my nightstand while I am asleep is not an issue. :)

JPINTO
June 24, 2010, 09:19 PM
Some food for thought -

I was alway instructed that any weapon should always be kept far enough from where you sleep so that you need to put both feet on the floor and conscientiously make an effort to get to the weapon to prevent and real accident. I'm sure there are unusual circumstances that require a more immediate effort but for the average Joe I would hat to dust Aunt Susan that just happened to stop by to drop off some Sunday morning treats.. Thought and comment as always welcome

WC145
June 24, 2010, 09:35 PM
I was surprised by the number that keep that gun ON the nightstand. Lookin' for the race of who can get to it fastest, the wide awake prowler in your room or sleepy head you????????????

These two lie between the the bedroom doorway and the nightstand, nobody's reaching my gun but me.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/__3_AZOV0zhc/S4RmDu6ecrI/AAAAAAAABo0/ifDmWAZRjYU/s640/000_0247.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/__3_AZOV0zhc/S4RnOnzNMhI/AAAAAAAABo4/WMyaoOqIV_Q/SDC10486.JPG

gun nut
June 24, 2010, 09:42 PM
The guns I have for self-defense are loaded and ready to go but not readily noticeable. None on my nightstand. I also sometimes leave one or two out in plain sight that don't have any ammo in them (usually some of the innards are missing). If the bg would get to my room he'd have to bring his own ammo and parts to shoot me with those guns. I like the looks of the dogs above but the way they're tongues are hanging out some sort of floor maybe slippery sign might be needed. Hate for the bg to Sue because he slipped in drool!

GM1967
June 24, 2010, 10:04 PM
Why anyone would put a gun under their pillow is beyond me.

Probably because under the pillow, the bad guy won't see the gun, less likely to find the gun if you are a deep sleeper and he searches your nightstand, and you can get the gun in your hand unobtrusively even if he is looking right at you and pointing a gun at you.

Not saying under the pillow is safe or even a good tactic, but it does have some advantages. In books and movies, people are always waking up to find the bad guy killer is in their room, watching them, and when they reach for their nightstand gun they find it gone, the killer already has it. Granted, that's fiction, but if you are a heavy sleeper, the bad guy might get to your nightstand gun before you, especially if it's in plain view on top of the nightstand. (unless of course you have a DOG or an alarm -- dog, gun, alarm...pick two for home defense)

A method that might be better was mentioned by a couple people -- a holster somehow secured to the bed's headboard, keeping the weapon safe and secure and within reach, and hopefully concealed enough.

Jimmy10mm
June 24, 2010, 10:30 PM
I keep a revolver under the bed within easy reach between the nightstand and the bed. Always loaded and ready to go. I also have no kids to worry about fooling with it.

Manos Lijeros
June 24, 2010, 10:35 PM
I keep my 85lb golden alert... He wakes at the drop of just about anything before heading off to investigate. He even barks when appropriate (and when not appropriate). :)

You all have kids? I keep mine in a quick-release safe... Practice, practice, and practice. Having your wife wake you up as she heads to the hospital for her shift in the middle of the night helps you get practice getting into the safe when "waking up." :D

Stevie-Ray
June 24, 2010, 10:44 PM
1911, cocked and locked, on the nightstand right next to me. Taken from my holster and put there each night.

nogo
June 24, 2010, 11:17 PM
With the Glock have you considered keeping the pistol in a holster--fully loaded--and set holster on night stand? I've used this method with a 1911 cocked and locked in a Bianchi rig with strap blocking hammer.

My Glock 19 is within reach, but chamber is empty. Just my preference. My 870 with tube full, hammer down, and safety off is close by.

Sevens
June 24, 2010, 11:34 PM
Therefore, I dare not lay a loaded gun next to my bed. That could be a disaster waiting to happen the consequences I would live with till I die.
You'd be okay with the H&K P7 bedside. In a half sleep/stupor, you'd never figure out that squeeze cocker! ;);)

Jim243
June 24, 2010, 11:42 PM
1st line of defense - ADT.
2nd line of defense - 70 lb german sheppard.
3rd line of defense - a wife that hates to be woken up.
4th line of defense - a FNP-40 with a full magazine, chamber empty.

Did I mention I live directly accross the street from the local police department?

Me, I sleep very well at night thank you.

Jim

Powermwt
June 25, 2010, 01:43 AM
I'm in the minority here as I have kept a pistol under my pillow now for some 45 years.

Currently my G26 is under the pillow fully loaded in an Alessi Talon Plus holster. There is no chance I will get my finger or anything else on the trigger unless I draw it. I practice drawing it from time to time.

Of course I have a couple of 70# alarm systems that give me practice when something disturbs them enough to bark.

imthegrumpyone
June 25, 2010, 04:30 AM
:eek: Am I glad I'm not paranoid, never slept with one under the pillow, better half has her's on table next to bed, mine are just around here and there. I guess there would be a big problem if anyone was to make it that far into the house, na there's no way that would happen. As far as one in the "pipe" :confused: your gun's loaded isn't it ? If there's not a round in the chamber your not ready :rolleyes:

Homerboy
June 25, 2010, 05:02 AM
The Glock has a 6 pound trigger (a BIt heavier than a cocked revolver). Keeping it unholstered with one in the pipe is unsafe.

And I guess I'm in the minority, but some people are simply too paranoid. The odds of you springing from sleep alert and getting the drop on a bad guy already in the room are so remote that you have a better chance of hitting the Lotto. The odds are much higher that a ND will result. My gun is a 92FS locked in a gunvault next to the bed. Full magazine, not chambered, safety on. I have a 3 year old, and I choose to err on the side of caution with him in the house. if he somehow got into the safe, he lacks the strength to rack a slide and flick the safety off. Unless you're in th CIA or Witness Protection, the OP's post is completely unrealistic.

Magyar
June 25, 2010, 08:33 AM
One in the tube....

TailGator
June 25, 2010, 09:56 AM
The Glock has a 6 pound trigger (a BIt heavier than a cocked revolver). Keeping it unholstered with one in the pipe is unsafe.

And I guess I'm in the minority, but some people are simply too paranoid.

No offense, but I find a bit of irony in that juxtaposition. If a pistol of any make is in a drawer or even on a tabletop, what is expected to exert a six pound force on the trigger? Keep in mind that six pounds of force will move the less-than-two-pound-loaded gun, so the mystery force is also going to have to exert a countering force against the grip, as well. How besides a deliberate act by a human being do we expect that to occur in our bedroom, and so what makes a Glock inherently unsafe?

My Glock has a reserved spot in the drawer of the bedside table, with a spare magazine and a flashlight beside it, and I sleep very well. Actually, my wife says I snore, but she can't prove it.

eagleninezero
June 25, 2010, 11:10 AM
Dan and others have referred to layers of security. I think that this is an important point. Your choice of 'ready' state is obviously influenced by any security systems in place and the presence of children. Therefore, I'd like to qualify my answer of 'chambered, DA/SA pistol in a handgun safe within arm's reach.'

I live in a low crime area of my city (layer #1), I live in a gated community with roving, armed security guards (#2), I have two dogs in the house that bark at anyone in the yard, let alone near the house (#3), I have a state-of-the-art house alarm system that is armed and monitored almost 24/7 (#4), and I have, last but not least, two chambered and ready-to-rock Sigs that I can access and bring to bear in less than 4 seconds (#5).

Please understand that I am NOT trying to 'brag' or 'boast' on these points ... I just thought other forum posters here have similar security layers and these layers influence their (and my) 'ready' state choices.

primetime
June 25, 2010, 11:20 AM
Eagle, thats an excellent set up you have got there.. No offense taken so don't worry about bragging or boasting. You're offering a constructive solution and showing yours as an example.

Currently, Some of us, are not quite as blessed, or financially able to have those multiple layers of security though. I think that should be pointed out. But certainly you're correct...the more layers of security you have, the better off you are...No argument there.

revolverrandy
June 25, 2010, 11:59 AM
I keep my model 67 S&W ,fully loaded with winchester +p bonded protection rounds,in one of those holsters with the metal clip on it.I clip the metal clip of the holster to my bed frame next to me so all I would need to do it roll over ,pull it out of the holster and take care of the threat
I don't understand having a gun for protection and not having it loaded and completely ready for use if needed.

booker_t
June 25, 2010, 12:12 PM
I'd have a hard time sleeping with the chamber empty. ;)

KingEdward
June 25, 2010, 12:50 PM
smith 686P is loaded and by the bed in middle drawer of night stand under
a towel.

two 7 rd speed loaders also there.

nefprotector
June 25, 2010, 04:09 PM
'Ruger P95--safety model---chambered---decocked with the safety on. I like how the trigger goes to mush when the safety is on.'

Why decock and safety on? I mean My P95 is DA/SA. I see no need for a safety.

ps
My Ruger is in an uncle mikes holster under my mattress. loaded and ready for action. Shotty on the safe side of the bed on the floor. Dont worry no wife or kids; so it's all good.

Homerboy
June 25, 2010, 07:05 PM
No offense, but I find a bit of irony in that juxtaposition. If a pistol of any make is in a drawer or even on a tabletop, what is expected to exert a six pound force on the trigger? Keep in mind that six pounds of force will move the less-than-two-pound-loaded gun, so the mystery force is also going to have to exert a countering force against the grip, as well. How besides a deliberate act by a human being do we expect that to occur in our bedroom, and so what makes a Glock inherently unsafe?

My Glock has a reserved spot in the drawer of the bedside table, with a spare magazine and a flashlight beside it, and I sleep very well. Actually, my wife says I snore, but she can't prove it.

That would make sense under normal conditions, but the OP specifically is asking about access to a gun while being awakened by an intruder. Regardless of where the Glock is, grasping for one while your crapping your pants and still half asleep is a bad idea unless the gun is holstered. Hell, I've seen cops let one go while trying to reholster one after a foot chase, and they're wide awake. 6 pounds is nothing.

scorpion_tyr
June 25, 2010, 10:06 PM
Hey guys I'm sure many of you are like me and sleep with your handgun on your night stand or bed under your pillow etc.. I do not "chamber" a round though, I have my G19 fully loaded but I don't have a round chambered per say. I'm too afraid in a sleeping daze the gun might go off (i know a little paranoid) so I elect not to chamber a round. How about you guys?

You're not paranoid. You're scared, and if you're scared of the gun you don't have any business owning it.

You have three options.

1. Remain scared of your gun. Keep it there without a round in the chamber, so that way when you wake up in a sleep daze and you need it you can throw it at the BG when you pull the trigger 5 times, but it won't go bang. There are a million reasons not to do this, that's just one. Keeping any semi-auto around for HD/SD without a round in the chamber is really DUMB.

2. Sell the gun, use the money to buy some pepper spray, a tazer, and some padded nunchucks.

3. Learn your gun. Let's start with the fact that if you put a round in the chamber and set it on your nightstand you can leave it there for hundreds of years and it will never go bang all by itself, no matter how sleep it gets. Now that we've go that out of the way, read your owners manual. Then read it again. Now unload your gun and dry fire the crap out of it. Search dry fire drills on here. Then take it to the range and put at least 200 rounds through it while practicing when to and when to not put your finger on the trigger. Go home, and clean it. Repeat these last two steps at least three more times. Then keep it by your bed, but far enough away you cannot reach it while still in the bed. If you're still afraid to leave it there with a round in the chamber, choose from first two options. If you choose option two give me a call.

test drive
June 25, 2010, 11:59 PM
yep, sleep with a fully loaded, one in the pipe beretta 92 under my pillow 5 or 6 nights a week. allso a locked n loaded m4 in arms reach.

COSteve
June 26, 2010, 12:18 AM
I sleep with my Glock 23 this way.

* Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
* Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
* Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
* Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
* Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.

That's because by it's design it can't be placed in Condition One or Condition Zero.

Chesster
June 26, 2010, 12:37 AM
I keep my bedside gun in a pocket or IWB holster, with one up the spout.

Lokpyrite
June 26, 2010, 01:21 AM
Yup, I keep a fully loaded and ready pistol withing easy reach. Keeping i under your pillow is bad though, not only could you splatter your brains, you could get a sore neck, or it could slide behind the bed. D'oh

Auto426
June 26, 2010, 01:34 AM
My preferred setup is my SP101, fully loaded, sitting in the nightstand drawer.

I know myself. I know that if I am waking up at 3:00 AM, stumbling around in the dark, and having the possibility of finding an intruder in my home, I don't want to be dealing with a very light trigger pull. I like a heavy DA trigger pull, to make sure that I am not shooting anything I shouldn't be. I also like the simplicity of revolver since there is no safety to flip off, it's just point and click.

CzCasull
June 26, 2010, 02:10 AM
The layout of my house along with the various tactics I've thought over have lead me to conclude that for me it is more tactically sound to not have a round in the chamber because of just that... the sound would be part of the horror I would inflict on a bad-guy with criminal intent. :cool:

AZAK
June 26, 2010, 04:22 AM
You all have kids? I keep mine in a quick-release safe...

Now, would that be a safe dedicated just for your kids?

I can hear the nightly conversation now:

"Honey."

"Yes, dear."

"Dinner is about ready, would you mind getting the children out of the safe?"

MMDV (My Mileage Does Vary)

Homerboy
June 26, 2010, 06:03 AM
You're not paranoid. You're scared, and if you're scared of the gun you don't have any business owning it.

You have three options.

1. Remain scared of your gun. Keep it there without a round in the chamber, so that way when you wake up in a sleep daze and you need it you can throw it at the BG when you pull the trigger 5 times, but it won't go bang. There are a million reasons not to do this, that's just one. Keeping any semi-auto around for HD/SD without a round in the chamber is really DUMB.

No. he is paranoid, and so is anybody else who seriously believes that that one second needed to rack a slide is suicide. I agree that it is dumb to CARRY a weapon that is not chambered(but the gun is on your person and you are fully aware of it and not dazed from a deep sleep), but if you really think that you are going to get the drop on an intruder who is already in your room and awake, you are also delusional. and not every situation is the same. Does this guy have kids? Do you? If you do, you should have already experienced the nightime visit from one of them. Maybe looking for a drink, or maybe he had a bad dream. You want a loaded, chambered weapon with a 6 pound trigger pull (that my three year old WAS able to pull. I tried it once with an unloaded Glock) in reach of that child while you sleep? I guess my 20 years as a cop has made me dumb, since my Beretta 92 is locked in a gunvault next to my bed, with an empty chamber and the safety on. I can access that gun and make it ready in seconds. Good enough for me.

Sites like this are great for the exchange of information, but they are also magnets for mall ninja's and Jack Bauer wanna-be's.

SW40F
June 26, 2010, 06:39 AM
"Dinner is about ready, would you mind getting the children out of the safe?"
You owe me a keyboard! :D

ClydeFrog
June 26, 2010, 07:25 AM
It's a personal choice to keep a revolver or pistol loaded or not. There are strong reasons for both formats. If you feel safer or more secure using a loaded pistol mag w/empty chamber or want to store it fully loaded it will protect you.
I live alone without other adults or small children so it's a non issue really but I would use a fully loaded S&W PC Military and Police .357magnum with a laser/white light or maybe a HK45 LEM or SIG Sauer P220R DAK type .45acp with a laser/light unit. I'm left handed and wear eyeglasses so in a high speed critical event I would want a quick but safe response. ;)
As posted in other topics & forums, some handgun owners push the "run & gun" method but I say be smart & be sure. To jump up from a deep sleep and start blasting could lead to major hassles or legal issues(JAIL, ;)) later on.

primetime
June 26, 2010, 10:40 AM
Good feedback from everyone..thank you all for the reponses.

Homerboy is correct, I'm not scared of anything.. I've been handling guns ever since i was a kid. Its nothing new. Never had an oops or an accident, ever...My father is former military and so is my brother. I don't have any kids (yet) so no problem there.

And as i stated earlier, I may be rethinking this and I may possibly start chambering a round while still keeping the gun on the nightstand..

I just wanted to see how the majority of other members felt about how they handle their bedside firearms, to help give me an idea..And its appreciated.

LarryFlew
June 26, 2010, 11:51 AM
And as the years go by you have to keep rethinking.

Things changed when my kids grew up and left and safety of that magnitude was no longer needed.

We have always had 2 or 3 dogs as alarms. Things changed again nearing retirement and not wanting to deal with kenneling a lot of dogs to travel. Last one is getting old and going deaf so he sleeps pretty sound which means rethinking one more time.

NEVER a bad idea to think and re-think your SD situations

Kentucky Packrat
June 28, 2010, 02:08 PM
I have to agree with those who have mentioned alarms. If the first alert you have of an intruder is when you're in the bedroom, you are already in deep trouble. Even if you don't want a monitoring service, install an alarm.

Unless it's staying with you 100% of the time, I find a condition 0, 1, or 2 gun dangerous because of fire risks. For their multiple faults, the Mythbusters did show how a firearm exposed to enough heat will cook off a chambered round. A house fire is more likely a disaster event than an invasion. Loose bullets are no real danger; they are mostly just a fuel source. A loaded magazine, or even a loaded gun without one in the chamber or under the hammer can make a small mess (localized, light shrapnel, a ruined gun, etc.), but nothing that will kill someone. However, a gun with a round under the hammer will be a discharge in a fire. If the stars lined up right, an autoloader might even shoot off multiple rounds before jamming (probably not, but I am paranoid).

IMHO, any gun that could shoot itself like this has to be carried out during a fire for your safety and the firefighters. For most people, that's 0 to 1 gun per adult "above" condition 3. Since we have kids still, they're priority 1 during the fire. We keep the household guns mostly condition 4, with a couple condition 3.

During any recent "tour the house" events, I've relied on the time I've needed to grab the gun to bring myself to full alertness.

Gonzo_308
June 28, 2010, 04:27 PM
It is a matter of preference and confidence in ones ability to keep the gun loaded or unloaded.

Personally, I would never keep one unloaded because I'm more afraid of being startled awake by someone in my room than I am of accidentally shooting the gun when I grab it.

Your comfort level and abilities will certainly differ from mine and that's ok.

denfoote
June 28, 2010, 04:34 PM
I've slept with a chambered gun under my pillow for the past 25 years.

If it's good enough for Commander Bond, it's good enough for me!!

primetime
June 28, 2010, 04:53 PM
Denfoote, is it a Walther PPK like Bond uses too? Lol!

mothermopar
June 28, 2010, 05:03 PM
I'm sure others have said this, but...

SECURE YOUR WEAPON, ROOKIE!

I mean that in partial jest. You shouldn't have a loaded gun under your pillow... that's just being paranoid (and dangerous).

Given that, I keep a Colt XSE Government model 45 ACP in condition 1 at the bedside, secured from tampering. Presently, there's also a 5 shot 357 secreted within our room (can't tell you where or I'd have to kill ya, LOL).

Will be getting a revolver (brand, still undecided) in 45 Colt to keep at the ready too. When this happens, the 357 will be safe kept unless being actively used.

BlueTrain
June 29, 2010, 07:06 AM
I won't debate the issue of whether a pistol with fifteen rounds inside it somewhere is loaded or not. But be that as it may, the only murder victim I've personally known was killed in her bed while she was asleep. Of course, burglars are usually not murderers and I suppose murderers are not usually burglars.

I don't keep a loaded gun handy at all because there has been no escalation of problems in my neck of the woods to warrant such precautions, in my opinion. But if I had to, it wouldn't be like my cousin, who really lives in the woods, and who keeps a Glock somewhere in his bedroom but without the magazine even in the pistol.

ISC
June 29, 2010, 07:18 AM
Funny, I drive through Iraq without a round chambered unless something looks like it might be developing and it doesn't really bother me. I guess ya'lls bedrooms are more dangerous than my war zone.

Back home I ususall CCW without a round chambered. I will chamber a round before approaching the ATM or entering a convenience store in a bad neighborhood though.

BlueTrain
June 29, 2010, 12:23 PM
Were you driving through Iraq by yourself?

KSDeputy
June 29, 2010, 04:00 PM
S&W 4506 loaded fully within arms reach.:)

Magyar
June 29, 2010, 07:19 PM
Funny, I drive through Iraq without a round chambered unless something looks like it might be developing and it doesn't really bother me. I guess ya'lls bedrooms are more dangerous than my war zone.

Speaking of that, I recall pulling guard duty (50 yrs ago) with my trusty M-1 Carbine guarding the only entrance to a facility w/nuclear tipped missiles w/o a round chambered..We were forbidden...Go figure...Oh yeah, I was by myself...
Anyway, I see both sides to this issue and only YOU can decide what's best for your family protection...

LanceOregon
June 29, 2010, 07:29 PM
There are many people carrying fully loaded Glocks concealed with a full chamber right over their crotch. Yet, I've yet to hear of anyone blowing their balls off.

http://magills.com/images/magick_cache/pgroup_609_image_400x600__shadow.jpg

The really brave men are the guys who carry guns cocked and locked in such a holster:

http://i30.tinypic.com/sd026f.jpg

And perhaps the bravest of all are the men that carry Kel-Tecs this way:

http://gallery.drfaulken.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4346

If there really was any significant danger, then there would be far more eunuchs than there are in our country.

Uncle Malice
June 29, 2010, 09:24 PM
Yet, I've yet to hear of anyone blowing their balls off.

Seattle Man Accidentally Shoots Himself in Testicle (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011994648_accident31m.html)

:D

or...

:(

That wasn't you, was it, Lance?!

thunderbird101
June 29, 2010, 10:16 PM
In my personal view, being "scared" is sometimes a good thing, as it shows you have a healthy respect for firearms and the consequences!

As a person with exposure to the healthcare field, I would caution that if you ever start a new medication that deals w/ altering sleep patterns, I would suggest not having a loaded firearm w/ 1 in the chamber at arms reach, as medications can do some crazy stuff! (at least not until you know how the med will affect you) You don't want to be sleepwalking w/ a firearm!!!!!! This may be paranoid of ME ;) but I have heard of crazier things happening!

You know yourself, and only you know yourself! If you are not comfortable, you should leave the chamber empty, AS LONG as you understand the consequences of doing so!

denfoote
June 29, 2010, 11:15 PM
Denfoote, is it a Walther PPK like Bond uses too? Lol!

As a matter of fact, it is.
Why do you ask??

http://usera.ImageCave.com/denfoote/NewPPKGrips001small.jpg

"reach"
June 29, 2010, 11:31 PM
i sleep with my 870 with a round chambered by the bed does that count?:D

LanceOregon
June 30, 2010, 07:03 AM
That wasn't you, was it, Lance?!

No, I never venture north of the Columbia River.

I rarely go into California anymore too.

primetime
June 30, 2010, 12:13 PM
As a matter of fact, it is.
Why do you ask??

Because I love Bond movies!! Well...I like the older ones, I dont really like the newer Bond flicks..

LanceOregon
June 30, 2010, 02:58 PM
The new Bond films should have James carrying the new Walther PPS.

There is no way that Bond would carry a 75 year old handgun when a recent new modern design has replaced it as Walther's premier compact pistol.

flatovercrest
June 30, 2010, 04:07 PM
Gun under the pillow? :D:eek::D
Careful, as beside the risk of shooting yourself in the head if the gun goes off, there are chemicals and such in the gun and the risk of cancer after years of prolonged exposure ....on the pillow....may be possible.
:rolleyes:

LanceOregon
June 30, 2010, 04:28 PM
there are chemicals and such in the gun and the risk of cancer after years of prolonged exposure ....on the pillow....may be possible.

That is pure Poppycock.

The acts of shooting and cleaning guns exposes a person to lead, which can cause some rather serious health issues. However, even lead exposure does not cause cancer.

So your comment here is groundless. Sleeping with your cell phone next to your head would be more dangerous to your health.

Southern Rebel
July 1, 2010, 12:07 AM
Ok guys,

I have had the "gun under pillow" discussion with one of my range friends (who practices that particular method) and he insists that if I can't show him some examples of "pillow-gun" disasters, I am no better than a gun control advocate spouting undocumented "facts" to bolster my own personal prejudices.

Can any of you help me with the documentation part - or do I just accept his labeling and shut up about his personal choice of gun location?

(Note: I have searched, but maybe Google is not my friend :confused: )

IMTHDUKE
July 1, 2010, 06:43 AM
I can't find any documentation of any disasters due to sleeping with a claymore mine under your pillow, but my common sense tells me I could be the first statistic. I just don’t want to have the sign on my tombstone, “Here lies Stupid”.:D

Shadi Khalil
July 1, 2010, 06:54 AM
I sleep with a gun on my nightstand, loaded and unholstered.

Marcach
July 1, 2010, 08:16 AM
I sleep with a loaded .38 one pace away in a bureau draw. There's a shotgun hung up in the bathroom with an empty chamber, another loaded revolver in the couch and a buddy's loaded shotgun next to his room. Then again we have no kids in the house - only Marines who drink lots of beer... which could be worse. :(

biohazurd
July 1, 2010, 11:48 PM
Unless they are a safe action gun like the glocks, xds ect. Then i sleep with one in the pipe. But i agree that i wouldnt want a glock with out a holster on my night stand, I wake up abrubtly at night often and dont need to put a few holes in the wall.

ptwheat
July 14, 2010, 01:09 AM
I keep one chambered in my G19 , I have it in a holster the Ive rigged to the bed frame.I dont like the under the pillow idea ( too scared Id shoot myself).I had it under the bed but its a little to far to reach if I had to.This way I can grab it and not have to worry about it being too far or too close..I guess its every persons choice but I wake up to groggy for it to be under the pillow.just my opinoin...GOOD thread ..

ISC
July 14, 2010, 01:14 AM
I think the liklihood of accidental discharges are greatly reduced after puberty.

NightSleeper
July 14, 2010, 08:13 AM
I can't find any documentation of any disasters due to sleeping with a claymore mine under your pillow, but my common sense tells me I could be the first statistic. I just don’t want to have the sign on my tombstone, “Here lies Stupid”.

LOL !!

Well said. :D

ptwheat
July 14, 2010, 03:43 PM
LMAO!! i was thinking that last night when I posted .... good one

iblong
July 15, 2010, 06:24 AM
Summer glock 26 one in the pipe holstered on night stand.
9mo.of the year 1911 cocked and locked out of holster on night stand.

sonnycrockett
July 15, 2010, 06:57 AM
Always one on the chamber,but never under my pillow...Always in night stand in holster

I want to protect not live in fear

bikerbill
July 15, 2010, 08:04 AM
Just me and my wife, the 1911's always cocked, locked and sitting on my nightstand next to a Surefire 9p ... I can't imagine waking up to one of my worst nightmares and having to get a round into the chamber before I can respond ... every second counts ...

elad
July 15, 2010, 11:45 AM
No kids home, so it's on the night stand with one in the chamber and in a holster.

johnwilliamson062
July 15, 2010, 12:34 PM
My concern would be slapping it while rolling over in bed.
I keep my gun loaded but in a holster which covers the trigger.
I feel that is sufficiently safe.
I feel very uncomfortable around loaded handguns that are loaded and not either in someone's hand or in a holster.

SteveP55419
July 15, 2010, 01:35 PM
You can install a burglar alarm with a siren in your bedroom and set the burglar alarm to 'away' when you go to bed so the motion detectors will be turned on (thus giving protection if the burglar crawls through a window). Then you can lock the door between your bedroom and the rest of the house (better if you sleep upstairs and have a lockable door that the foot of the stairs). Bring the cell phone to bed when you retire. If a burglar enters your house, the alarm will probably scare him away. You will wake up with enough lead time to call the cops. If the burglar was not scared away, you have the gun trained at the locked door and you can yell to him that the cops are coming, you've got a gun and he'd better run. If he doesn't run (i.e.: if he's nuts), you have a situation on your hands. But he will probably run, the cops might get him and you survived the enounter as well as could be hoped for: nobody dead or injured.

tenusdad
July 15, 2010, 07:42 PM
Nope - chamber empty

FP2000H
July 15, 2010, 07:51 PM
Absolutely.

C Philip
July 15, 2010, 08:05 PM
I will chamber a round before approaching the ATM or entering a convenience store in a bad neighborhood though.I have to say this sounds like a very bad idea for several reasons. First of all, the less a gun is handled, the less chance for an AD or ND. Secondly, when in public a gun shouldn't come out of the holster unless you're going to use if for self defense. If someone sees you chambering a round as you walk towards an ATM or a conveinence store in a bad area what do you think they'll imagine is about to happen? Even if you do it from the privacy of your car or something, what are you going to do when you're done at the ATM, unchamber the round and put it back in the magazine? Where are you going to do that, back in your car? Now you have a round that may be repeatedly chambered, leading to bullet set-back and causing excessive pressure (this can happen, I've done measurements myself with a caliper). All in all, I think this is bad form. If you have a holster and keep your finger off the trigger untill you are ready to fire (one of the most basic safety rules), there is no reason you can't have a round in the chamber all the time.

As to the thread question, I put my gun on my nightstand like I carry it, in a holster with a round in the chamber.

DiscoRacing
July 15, 2010, 08:28 PM
have 12 handguns next to bed...three loaded fully,, ruger 44mag, ruger .357, and .40

FALshootist
July 16, 2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I sleep with one in the chamber, what good is it if its not loaded and ready to go.

And yes when I'm on the road in a motel or something, I also sleep with it under the pillow. You guys take your chances with what you're comfortable with and I'll take mine. And as long as you have no plans to break into my motel room, neither of us has anything to worry about.

810wmb
July 16, 2010, 09:39 PM
i'm late to this party, but i sleep with a round in my 1911 cocked w/safety on. it is in a bed holster...best money i have spent i a while.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/bed-holster.aspx?a=548874

The Great Mahoo
July 16, 2010, 09:57 PM
Nope, whenever the gun is off of my hip, the chamber is cleared.

My carry guns are stored in a quick access safe in the bedroom, unleaded with mags/loaders next to them. My autos have mags in the wells, but no rounds chambered.

Badkarma 1
July 16, 2010, 10:25 PM
Ruger P-95, full mag, chamber loaded, safety on, and a spare mag next to it! What? I might miss! LOL:p

dnr1128
July 16, 2010, 11:20 PM
My gun stays in the same place at night as it does during the day. My Ultrastar has one in the pipe, hammer down, in the top drawer where my boys can't get to it. That weapon is my HD gun, and my glock 19 is the carry gun. It is in the drawer as well, unloaded, with the full magazine beside it.

stormyone
July 16, 2010, 11:28 PM
The gun that I carry all day long gets taken out of my holster at the end of the night and rests on the end table next to the bed. Chambered.

R1145
July 16, 2010, 11:42 PM
The Glock is perfectly safe as long as a finger does not enter the trigger guard. The reason a Glock should be kept ready with a chambered round is so that you will always immediately know its condition.

I suppose you could always keep it in another condition, but what's the point? Keeping it chamber empty won't make it any safer, when the main cause of unintentional discharges is deliberately pulling the trigger on a weapon not thought to be loaded. Following the four fundamental rules is your safety.

If my home defense weapon was, say, a CZ-52, then chamber empty would be a good choice. I agree that putting an unchambered handgun into action requires a negligible amount of time (although it might be noisier than you'd want to be, faced with a prowler...).

That said, I recommend keeping your Glock in some kind of a holster or case that covers the trigger guard.

There's a gun case called the "Safepacker" that completely covers the weapon, yet allows access in an instant.

As for me, I have sometimes slept with a pistol under my pillow, but generally I'm cool with in my holster in the closet.