PDA

View Full Version : What's the hottest 9mm practice load under $20 a box?

silver-bullet
June 16, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hello, I'm looking for a hot practice load for my 9mm XD-M. For defense, I shoot 9mm +P+ ammo through this gun, having experienced excellent reliability and accuracy using Buffalo Bore +P+ ammo (115-grain @ 1,400 fps and 124-grain @ 1,300 fps) and DoubleTap +P+ ammo (which is very slightly hotter). For those who are curious, I replaced the factory Springfield 18-pound recoil spring with a 22-pound recoil spring from Wolff. Again, zero malfunctions so far with the hottest ammo I can find.

Now, both Buffalo Bore and DoubleTap loads are EXPENSIVE, so I'm looking for practice ammo priced less than $20 per box of 50. The only criteria is it must be loaded HOT. The hotter the better (and I don't reload, so don't suggest that option please). Thanks.

carguychris
June 16, 2010, 03:34 PM
Look for ammo loaded to NATO specs rather than SAAMI specs. NATO ammo normally uses a 124gr FMJ bullet rather than the more common 115gr "practice load" bullet, and it's loaded to slightly higher pressure.

Winchester markets a NATO load, but availability seems spotty in my area.

The RWS 124gr ammo available at many Wally Worlds is supposedly loaded to NATO specs, and it's only $12.97/box at my local stores. :)

wnycollector
June 16, 2010, 03:42 PM
Winchester NATO spec 124gr FMJ 1299fps/465lbs $13/50 rounds Here is the link http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/50-rds-9-mm-fmj-ammo.aspx?a=198002

If you want 115gr, look at S&B or Fiocchi, both load near NATO specs in 115gr ammo.

oneounceload
June 16, 2010, 04:12 PM
How do you know that your velocities are true? Did you chronograph them, or are you going by what is on the box. Most velocities are "optimistic" at best as printed on the box. +P+ has no norm and will vary widely by maker

jhenry
June 16, 2010, 04:34 PM
T. Sundles at Buffalo Bore does not inflate the velocities on his ammo. If anything he lowballs it by a few fps. I can't speak for Double Tap.

Why the need for hot practice ammo? Find something that shoots reasonably close to your sights at your normal distances and have at it. The stance, breath control, trigger control, and sight alignment all happen before any slight recoil that 9mm can give you with any particular load anyway. If it is fast followup shots you are concerned about then 1. it is not going to make as much difference as you think, and 2. the only true way to exactly replicate it is to fire a slug of the same weight at the same velocity.

My own advice is to get a gob of ammo, and concentrate on the fundamentals.

silver-bullet
June 16, 2010, 05:15 PM
Winchester NATO spec 124gr FMJ 1299fps/465lbs $13/50 rounds Here is the link http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=198002

This is actually the load I'm using at the moment. It's good stuff, fairly hot, clean shooting, but not in the same league as +P+ from BB or DT. I think Sportsman Guide's stated velocity of 1,299 fps for the 124 grain load is incorrect, since Winchester marketed this ammo under their "Ranger" line as well. Winchester states the velocity of this load at 1,185 fps. This seems more in line with my own experience with this round. Stout, yes, but not 1,299 fps stout.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/le/handgun-ammunition/ranger/full-metal-jacket/Pages/RA9124N.aspx

silver-bullet
June 16, 2010, 05:17 PM
Why the need for hot practice ammo? Find something that shoots reasonably close to your sights at your normal distances and have at it. The stance, breath control, trigger control, and sight alignment all happen before any slight recoil that 9mm can give you with any particular load anyway.

The reason is simple: I prefer to practice with ammo that approximates the load I use for defense.

jhenry
June 16, 2010, 06:09 PM
The only way for you to get what you want for less money, and not compromise, is to invest in some reloading components and get after it. Anything else will be either a compromise in performance, or practice time depending on where you put your money. The real difference in recoil between standard nato 9mm and your defense ammo is just about nil.

railroader
June 16, 2010, 07:24 PM
The RWS 124gr ammo available at many Wally Worlds is supposedly loaded to NATO specs, and it's only $12.97/box at my local stores.

I have shot this ammo out of my cz75 and it is definitely hotter than the Winchester and UMC they sell at walmart. That's the 1st thing I noticed about it. Mark

zip22
June 16, 2010, 07:58 PM
The RWS 124gr ammo available at many Wally Worlds is supposedly loaded to NATO specs, and it's only $12.97/box at my local stores.
I have shot this ammo out of my cz75 and it is definitely hotter than the Winchester and UMC they sell at walmart. That's the 1st thing I noticed about it. Mark

I have seen nothing saying it is loaded to NATO spec. The website says it is loaded to SAAMI standards.
http://www.rws-usa.com/rws_sport_coppermatrix.php
There is nothing on the box about NATO standards either. The only thing is that they are 124 grain.

Edit:
Comparing the ballistics, the RWS is 1181 fps / 382 ft lbs and the WWB is 1190 fps / 362 ft lbs so it looks like it may be slightly hotter. What is a comparable NATO spec round?
http://www.rws-usa.com/rws_sport_ballistics.php
http://www.winchester.com/Products/handgun-ammunition/usa/full-metal-jacket/Pages/Q4172.aspx

44 AMP
June 16, 2010, 09:15 PM
So, getting hung up on a difference of 50 or even 100fps in published figures is a waste of time and energy. Nothing in the real world can tell the difference.

The only place where even a hundred fps makes any practical diference is long range shooting (a couple hundred yards and up) and there it only makes a small difference.

Some guns are faster than published specs, some are slower. And it can be as much as 100fps without being considered drastically outside the norm. Usually the difference is in the range of 25-50fps, but I have seen 100fps enought times that while is isn't common, its not unheard of.

Ammo makers tell you what they got with the ammo. Usually they tell you what they got it with, or barrel length, at least. Your mileage may vary.

Don't freak out when it does, either way.

3leggeddog
June 16, 2010, 09:46 PM
I have 4 boxes of Winchester 9mm NATO 124 Gr. Full Metal Jacket [ Q4318 ] . they come in a White Box. They are a little hotter, it does say on the box " Pressue Levels Exceed Industry Standards". MY Smith + Wesson MP9 Compact shoots more accurate with these . Their cleaner burning than the cheaper Federals 115 Gr. +which leads up my barrel! After I tried 1 box , I went back and got 4 more, their not easy to find on the shelf!