PDA

View Full Version : Choices of Carry between 2 1911's?

Deputy Dog
June 13, 2010, 08:28 AM
I am trying to decide wether or not, if I want to carry the
S&W 1911 .45 in 5" stainless with 8+ 1 rounds of .45ACP or do I want to carry the lighter Colt Commander LW in 9mm with 10+ 1 rounds of 9mm.
Both guns are set up for carry, and both guns have incredible trigger pulls on them. Here is my perspective and this is why I have a delema.

The LW Commander has the weight advantage and the capacity advantage,
Also cheaper to shoot, so I can practice with it more frequently. The magazines are a little bit harder to come by, but they are out there. It is also a pre-70 series gun and the parts are endless for it. I could also convert it into a 38 super with just the swap of the barrel and ejector and probably a heavier spring. With the right HP and great shot placement and ease of follow up shots, it will be just as effective as the .45 ACP. Combat accurate.

The S&W 1911, is a heavier gun to help with the added recoil, is going back to having a plunger and GI guide rod with a 17 lb Wolffe Spring. Follow up shots are fearly easy to make, magazines are a dime a dozen and nothing says you done messed up when looking at a 1/2" hole with 230 gr projectile moving at 900 ft per second staring back at you. Combat and match grade accurate. The ammo is alot more expensive, and I dont have time to reload, nor will I ever buy someone elses reloads.

They both fit in my hand/s and they both are excellant shooters. They both draw and present nicely and have a great reputation. So which one would you go with. This is the two guns I am sking about, so please do not chime in with other brands, makes and or models as well as calibers. For right now this is what I have chosen to carry, because I love the 1911 platform and I am very proficient with it. I will be adding other 1911's in a couple of different configurations as time goes by, for right now, there are the two options.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, and helpful. I know what I would tell someone asking this question, but we all know what happens when it comes down to deciding for ourselves with our own scenarios.

Thanks you in advance,

DD

Officer's Match
June 13, 2010, 08:52 AM
You should get the S&W and tell me where the Colt is. ;) I'm a 45 fan by nature, but I'd definitely get the Colt.

Deputy Dog
June 13, 2010, 08:53 AM
I actually have both....;)

DD

Officer's Match
June 13, 2010, 09:10 AM
Cool. No need to decide then.

Deputy Dog
June 13, 2010, 10:33 AM
I'm only goin to carry one of them, and the other is going back into the safe for the time being.

DD

David the Gnome
June 13, 2010, 10:46 AM
If it were me and those were my only two choices I would go with the Colt.

Deputy Dog
June 13, 2010, 12:44 PM
Can anyone give me their reasons for their choice, any outside logic is welcomed in helping me make this decision.

DD

rkammer
June 13, 2010, 06:17 PM
Well, I'd try to cut to the chase and make my decision based on just two priorities no matter what the other parameters are.

If comfort of carry was more important to me than stopping power, I'd go with the Colt LW Commander in 9mm.

If knock-down power wins out over comfort of carry, I'd go with the SW-1911.

You set the priority based on your answer to the above. That's my way of thinking thru this particular scenario. :)

David the Gnome
June 13, 2010, 06:38 PM
Rkrammer summed it up perfectly. I always consider comfort when selecting a carry piece, and a full-size 1911 isn't what I would consider comfortable.

BillCA
June 13, 2010, 07:11 PM
I'm chuckling because I have the opposite problem.

My Lightweight Commander pistol is the S&W 1911Sc in .45 ACP.
My 9mm 1911 is a Colt Combat Commander with a steel frame.

The S&W gets carried much more because of it's lighter weight.
Thus, I'd say go with the 9mm Commander.
- It's a Colt.
- It's a Pre-70 Series
- The lightweight & 9mm cartridge are a good combo.
- The extra 9+1 capacity helps offset the caliber wars.

I've carried a steel 1911 all day, both IWB and OWB and it can get tiresome.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Hobby/1911/CMDR9_2M_1122.jpg

Shane Tuttle
June 13, 2010, 07:46 PM
Colt. Both are combat accurate. Both are reliable. Two more rounds isn't really a big deal to me to have. Both cartridges have SD ammo out there that will be similar in performance. Only difference in my observation is the Colt is more comfortable for you to carry.

michael t
June 13, 2010, 07:55 PM
Sell the S&W and buy a Colt LTW Commander in 45 Then it won't matter which one you choose I have both but the LTW in 45 wins most time for carry.