PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1911 LW Commander 9mm

Deputy Dog
June 10, 2010, 06:54 PM
I noticed that the gun hasnt been fired that much, I just had a well known 1911 Smith do a long trigger & trigger job, a beavertail and thumb safety. I noticed the action is kind of rough to say the least. It has factory parts except for the forementioned work done to it. Is there anyway I can make the action a little bit smoother before I take her to the range? Or do you think she just needs some range time to break her in? I was wondering if I should polish the throat a little and maybe the reels of the frame and slide?
Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

DD

Jim Watson
June 10, 2010, 07:21 PM
Uh, shoot the gun. Lube well and shoot.
Polishing the ramp can do more harm than good.
Filing the "reels" will almost surely do more harm than good unless you can point to a specific flaw.

Scorch
June 10, 2010, 08:11 PM
The Lightweight Commander has an aluminum frame. Be careful what you do to it. Also, a steady diet of full house loads will batter it pretty fast. The Lightweight Commander was designed as a carry gun more than one to get a steady diet of heavy shooting.

Deputy Dog
June 11, 2010, 07:06 AM
I think you are misunderstanding me, I'm not going to file anything down or grind anything off or down. I was reading a couple of Smiths web sites, and all of them reference to polishing the throat area and polishing some other parts to give it more of smooth action. I do realize I have to put some rounds down range and that will help out alot, any suggestions on ammo? I was going to feed 115 gr. FMJ through her for a while, and then switch to JHP's.
Good cleaning afterwards and some dry-firing with racking the slide to cock the hammer every time should help break it in a little faster anyway. I'm hitting the range with it tomorrow, I plan on puting about 2-300 rounds down pipe if the weather and the lord allow it. I know the more you shoot, the better the action gets, I have never felt the action on a Colt 1911 so stiff and rough before.
As far as the Alloy frame is concerned, what can I do to help minimize the damage to the frame? And how will pollishing the throat hurt the gun if every gunsmith does it?

DD

PetahW
June 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
I had a Wilson buffer in my .45 LWC to good effect - as it never jammed or evidenced any wear or frame battering, over about 5 years of shooting before I gifted it to my grandson.

The action was great, with only some Dri-Slide appropriately applied.

Microgunner
June 11, 2010, 11:10 AM
The Lightweight Commander has an aluminum frame. Be careful what you do to it. Also, a steady diet of full house loads will batter it pretty fast. The Lightweight Commander was designed as a carry gun more than one to get a steady diet of heavy shooting.

I don't know about that. I carried my LWC .45 for years and fired it at every opportunity with all sorts of .45 loads with no ill effects. After being a constant companion for 10 years or so I gave it to my son who had been lusting after it for years. I think a 9mm LWC could hold up to endless shooting without a whimper.

Deputy Dog
June 13, 2010, 07:08 AM
Will racking the slide repeatedly with guided forward assist help the break-in process, or is the only way to break it in is by shooting it? I was also thinking about getting a 45 acp complete upper for it and carring it. Or should I just get another Commander size gun in .45 ACP?

DD

Lurch37
June 13, 2010, 11:54 AM
I doubt hand cycling will help the break-in process a whole lot, but it won't hurt either, although if your dry firing it with a few snap caps in the mag, this will most definately help break in the trigger. Personally, I would just go shoot the thing using cheap hardball. Save the hollowpoint full house loads for carry and an occansional workout at the range.

As far as an upper in .45, again I would just save up a few more bucks and get yourself another pistol.

Deputy Dog
June 13, 2010, 12:10 PM
Lurch,
Thank you for the info, that's exactly what I am going to do. I hope the rain has stopped, so when I get out of work I can go to the range with her and run her through some drills to see if she is Carry worthy. I am a hoping and Praying that she is. If she isnt, then she will be sent to another gun smith later on to be worked on. Then she will be given to my Daughter when she is old enough.:)

DD

Deputy Dog
June 14, 2010, 08:06 AM
Range Report:

Gun shoots mint, at 50' 10 rounds 3/4" - 1" grouping.
Not one malfunction in 125 rounds fired with WWB 125gr FMJ
Pointed alright, dont think I will be using it for CCW though.

Going to stick with Gov Mod .45

DD

BillCA
June 14, 2010, 11:40 AM
Usually, when someone tells me the trigger on a LW Commander feels rough, the first thing to do is find out why. There's no reason any 1911 should have a rough trigger. Matched triggers & sears are now available to make it easier to "drop in" a nice trigger.

The 9mm doesn't hammer the alloy frame near as much as the .45ACP. Nor do the 9mm's seem to need a feed ramp polishing very often. Polishing the rails won't do anything for you in the long run.

DO: Lubricate the gun well. I use Tetra grease or any good gun grease on the barrel & slide locking lugs. A thin film on the barrel & bushing as well as on the slide stop pin to ease it's later removal. For lubricating the plunger pins for the slide release & safety, as well as lubricating the firing pin, I like a drop of Dexron ATF because it creeps into the springs easier and helps remove any crud. ATF also works for the disconnector, mag release and pivot points.

Rails should be lubricated too. Tetra grease is good for CCW guns as it doesn't show up black if it contacts clothing. If I'm going to shoot it a lot at the range, I'll add a couple drops of oil to the rails and hand cycle a few times.

Deputy Dog
June 15, 2010, 10:51 AM
The really low front sight, is hard to acquire sight picture(front sight) without serious focus. I know I could put a new sight on her, but I dont have the money right now to do so. Spent all the money I could on it for a while anyway. So I will just stick to carrying the full size .45. I am most likely goin to sell it even though I will lose some money on her, but I can put the money towards something a little more concealable, like an officers model with a descent front sight.

DD

Deputy Dog
June 22, 2010, 07:15 AM
I have decided to sell it, so I am going to post it for sale in the want ad section today.

Thanks again for all the info.

DD