PDA

View Full Version : Why can this Sig p226 mag only hold 10 rounds?

NovemberWhiskey870
June 5, 2010, 05:03 PM
So I got my caliber x-change kit yesterday, and it was shipped with a 10 round mag (I'm presuming because they don't want to ship 2 different kits, for CA/MA, etc and other states).

My question is, is there any way to modify this mag to take the usual 15 rounds? Would a factory sig 15 round spring do the trick? I can't see any other reason that this thing would only take 10 other than the spring taking up too much space in the bottom of the mag.

Interestingly this mag is stamped "made in the USA" it was my impression that all the Sig mags were made by Mec-Gar in Italy.

ScottRiqui
June 5, 2010, 05:28 PM
Does the bottom of the "ribs" inside the magazine correspond with the position of the lowest round when the magazine's fully-loaded (depth perception is a pain in photos)? If so, you might run into trouble putting an additional five rounds below the bottom end of the ribs.

NovemberWhiskey870
June 5, 2010, 05:35 PM
The ribs run as far down as the rounds go, not start where the rounds end. That picture is looking from the bottom up. I wouldn't think that would be an issue, right? The area that has no rounds in it now has a great cross section, I'm assuming the rib is just there to keep the follower going in a straight line.

ScottRiqui
June 5, 2010, 05:37 PM
Okay, I think I understand what you're saying. If you were to use a shorter spring, would the follower still engage the ribs even if it were five rounds deeper into the magazine?

NovemberWhiskey870
June 5, 2010, 05:57 PM
Yes, the follower would not be engaging the ribs at all but I don't think it engages them that well in the first place. I added a picture of the follower in the mag, from the bottom.

ftballgod
June 5, 2010, 08:00 PM
just buy some new mags. keep the 10 rounder for back-up.

NovemberWhiskey870
June 5, 2010, 08:07 PM
Already ordered 2 Mec-gar 18s, just thought if I could replace the spring in this one and get it up to 15 for $6 I'd do it...

ftballgod
June 5, 2010, 08:18 PM
ahh. well have fun with the p226. i have 2 of them and i love them.

seeker073180
June 5, 2010, 09:52 PM
My SIG 15rd mags look like this from the side:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig_p226-9mm-15rd-magazine.html

I think the longer rib of your 10rd mag interferes with the stacking and effectively makes your mag a single stack or partially staggered stack mag. I took some crappy cell phone pictures if you really want to see it.

What I did was take the mag spring out and reassemble the mag and "load it" with a few rounds. The bullets stacked tight against the sides of the mag. Try it and see if they stack.

It looks like the other available 10 rounders shortened the mag tube with the filler bottom/end plate:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig_p226-9mm-10rd-magazine.html

But, the Mecgars are great. I mean they do make the SIG originals, so why wouldn't they be? Only difference seems to be the capacity and the phosphate(?) coating vs. the painted.

hope it helps,

jersey_emt
June 7, 2010, 01:54 AM
You're right, the caliber exchange kit includes a 10-round magazine because of states like California and Massachusetts with their 10-round maximum capacity.

From the SIG Sauer Two Step Caliber X-Change Kit page (http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/ShowProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=0&productid=316) on the SIG website:

Each SIG SAUER X-CHANGE Kit features SIGLITE Night Sights, one magazine*, and a hard carry case.

* P226 and P229 models ship with 10rd magazine to meet applicable State and local magazine capacity restrictions.

You can use standard-capacity P226 magazines if your local laws allow them.

Deputy Dog
June 7, 2010, 06:02 AM
If I am not mistaken, I believe the ribs on the mag and the follower might have something to do with it. I think the Follower on the ten rounders have a little bit more plastic protuding out the bottum.
The old mags use to have a shorter flatter bottum.

DD