PDA

View Full Version : What is so special about this gun?

GunGuy34
June 3, 2010, 10:08 PM
Its priced pretty high. Its on a website that I have purchased other things off of. I have never heard of this gun before. Any info would be helpful.

Below is the Description on the website of this gun.

Combining the double stack capacity of its patented 2011 technology with the light weight benefits of aluminum, the Viper is the best carry pistol on the market today. The Viper has a stainless steel scalloped slide with rear cocking serrations, STI dovetail front sight and Heinie fixed rear sight. The Viper comes standard with features such as a stainless steel STI hi-ride grip safety, stainless steel STI single sided thumb safety and an STI stainless steel fully supported, ramped bull barrel.

Price: $2,399.00

Sgt 45
June 3, 2010, 10:19 PM
I don't have a clue. Bought my Series 70 1911 for a lot less that $200, that leaves the rest to buy ammo, powder, bullets, reloading press, primers, clothes, food, other guns and still have change left over.

stephen426
June 3, 2010, 10:58 PM
I have actually fired that model and was rather impressed. STI makes very good guns, but I think that model is a bit over priced.Their so called 2011 grip is polymer and integrates with their aluminum frame. I have the STI Edge which also uses the 2011 polymer frame and it works well. It is a bit on the bulky side though for concealed carry. There are plenty of guns available at that price point that are as good or better including Les Baers, Ed Browns, and Wilson Combats.

PeterGunn
June 3, 2010, 11:13 PM
Most STI guns are going to be high end custom or semi-custom examples. A Colt 1911 or other less modified (regardless of it being series 70) 1911 pattern gun are going ot be nice, but STI guns are born from a philosophy comes out of the "race" gun circles. This is STI's niche...

What is interesting is that the list price you note is actually well above the MSRP from STI which is around the $1600.00 mark.

STI's website is here...

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/VIP/VIP.php

GunGuy34
June 3, 2010, 11:16 PM
Well im in Canada, so maybe thats the currency conversion or something. However, I know this store and it does over price things.

Auto426
June 3, 2010, 11:26 PM
Maybe it is the currency conversion, but if I was gonna spend $2,400 on a 1911 I'd go with an Ed Brown or a Wilson combat, maybe even get a pair of Les Bears.

STI does make good guns, but their race gun stylings are just not for me. I prefer more G.I. esque 1911's, as I have found that they are everything I need and nothing I don't. If I had to money for a pistol like that, I'd end up buying a Colt and sending it to a top gunsmith for a few mods.

rjrivero
June 3, 2010, 11:29 PM
For a Racegun, STI's are hard to beat.

Tom Servo
June 3, 2010, 11:34 PM
Well, it's a double-stack 1911, which I've always known to have feeding issues. Then there's the proprietary shape to the trigger guard, which makes holster selection an issue.

That, and the staggered "V.I.P" lettering on the slide screams 1986.

For a thousand less, you can get a much more practical 1911 without any of those concerns.

gyvel
June 3, 2010, 11:47 PM
What's so special about that gun??? Well, for starters, you have some fancy letters on the slide, a hammer with an odd shaped hole in it, a fancy plastic trigger guard, a trigger with holes in it, and some really sexy slide serrations cut at an angle.

All of these make the gun shoot better than, say, a similar 1911 that costs about $1500.00 less, to be sure...:rolleyes:

GunGuy34
June 3, 2010, 11:49 PM
Im not buying this gun. I just was looking for info on it. Cause of the price i figured it must have been something special lol.

Venom1956
June 4, 2010, 02:00 AM
I take it your just getting into shooting?

Its nothing special just a 2011 from STI.

I'm not a huge fan on the appearance of the 2011. :barf: Way to wreck a pretty thing.

Skans
June 4, 2010, 08:39 AM
For a tad bit less, I could purchase a Sig X-Five in .40 or 9mm.

I have an STI 2011 with the aluminum frame. It's some kind of super-custom job with hybrid barrel, etc. But I got it at a decent price and couldn't pass it up. It's been sitting in my safe taking up space because I've been too lazy (or cheap) to get a problem fixed with the hammer/sear. When it fires, it's very accurate, low recoil and a pleasure to shoot.....when it fires!

Someday, I plan on getting it fixed and will probably trade it for something else.

NightSleeper
June 4, 2010, 09:59 AM
Quality gun or not, there is NO justification for a $2300 price tag on that gun.

Mike Irwin
June 4, 2010, 10:07 AM
You pay a premium for each initial in the company's name.

Just be glad that they don't have a 4 or 5 initial name.

Venom1956
June 4, 2010, 10:56 AM
Lol @ Mike. So true. :D

They also tend to get more expensive the smaller and lighter they are as well. Just be thankful its got a 4" barrel and not a 3"!

Old Grump
June 4, 2010, 11:09 AM
Over price it, let a customer dicker you down a few hundred. Retailer still makes a few hundred more than if he priced it competitively. Let the buyer beware.

Good thing you were curious and asked first. A lot of guns just as good for a lot less and that makes them better buys.

If you were referring to Canadian dollar to US dollar the price difference does not account for it. American dollar is worth about .95 compared to a Canadian dollar.

hemiram
June 5, 2010, 03:02 AM
I have to admit I do not understand the pricing on 1911's at all. I would rather buy several other .45 ACP guns with that money instead.

Skans
June 5, 2010, 10:27 AM
I do not understand the pricing on 1911's at all.

The mid-priced to more expensive 1911's have quite a bit more hand fitting and tuning. When you can't just turn the machine on, stick some plastic and a little steel in it, and wait on the other end for it to spit out firearms, boxed and shrinkwraped, it's going to cost you more $,$$$.$$

Coastal
June 5, 2010, 11:16 AM
I have to admit I do not understand the pricing on 1911's at all. I would rather buy several other .45 ACP guns with that money instead.

I agree. There's only so much improvement that you can do with 99 year old technology. But, it seems that some are still willing to pay for it.