PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone shot a Kel-Tec SU16?

Nero45
June 2, 2010, 03:51 PM
I've seen this rifle before but never really looked closely at it for its marrets. I see a AR type rifle but lighter and better system for the bolt. What are they like, do they used the same mags as the AR, and how are they priced? Thank you.

thesheepdog
June 2, 2010, 04:20 PM
I have shot one. I don't like them at all. They seem to hate wolf ammo with factory magazines. Maybe a Pmag would fix that issue????

Yes they use AR mags.

Trigger Time
June 2, 2010, 07:05 PM
I don't own one, but I've shot one. They do use AR mags, and seem like they do fit a niche, albeit limited. I couldn't get past their pathetic sights.

JerseyDrez
June 3, 2010, 10:36 AM
'Nutnfancy' reviewed it on Youtube, and thought very highly of it.

No, I have never shot one. They have intruiged me tho, yet no LGS sell them.

GeauxTide
June 3, 2010, 12:51 PM
I didn't want a 9# AR, so I bought an SU16C, cut off the ugly sights and mounted a 1x4 Bushnell Trophy. Replaced the forend with their compact forend. Shoots Military or 223, easy disassembly and cleaning. Half the cost of an AR, 5#, and a delight to shoot. Have the two 10rd mags and 5 Brownells 30rd AR mags.

COYOTE JLR
June 3, 2010, 02:38 PM
I have one and I love it! I didn't know a single thing about them when I came across a great deal on the one I have. I have the SU16C and it weighs in at 4.7 pounds.

I have only ever had one failure with it and I believe that was with the mag that it came with from the factory. I went out and picked up a super cheapy 30 round AR mag from Cabelas and ordered a couple of Pmags online. All three of those mags have been perfect in it. It is decently accurate and exceptionally portable. Its (in my mind) the perfect truck gun.

I saw one sell locally with 5 mags for $500 recently. As others mentioned, the sights leave something to be desired, but I slapped a lightweight scope on it and have the irons there for backup.

It is easy to clean and runs. After over 1,000 rounds and a surprise mud bath it still fired. The one I own is possibly the last gun I would get rid of. It fits the needs and wants of my lifestyle perfectly.

Trigger Time
June 3, 2010, 04:52 PM
How hard is it to mount optics to one of these?

COYOTE JLR
June 3, 2010, 05:11 PM
How hard is it to mount optics to one of these?

Easy. It has a rail built into it for mounting.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/coyotej15/003-1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/coyotej15/011-1.jpg

Bolt Gunner
June 7, 2010, 02:52 PM
I have the SU16CA...yeah I live in Ca...but it's a neat little rifle. I do like the front sight on this model. It looks like a short AR15 front sight rather than the huge, tall SU16 front sight.

I did have some malfunctions right out of the box. I took it down and cleaned it and found it was "dry". I lubed it properly (Kel-Tec sends a bottle of lube with the gun) and haven't had a malfunction since. Also, AR mags work better than the plastic Kel-Tecs.

It's accurate as my AR's, reliable, uses AR mags, and my kids like it because of the light weight and short stock.

I've shot it in a few carbine classes against guys with optics mounted AR's and finished at the top of the class. It may be a "cheap" carbine, but it works good!

Big-Foot
June 7, 2010, 11:17 PM
I like folding stocks guns Daewoo, Mini-30. I really like my SU-16A with the storage area in the stock. With a loaded 30rd USGI mag in the stock, a full 30rd PMAG in the well and a Micro Aimpoint clone Red Dot it weighs 7.8 lbs. 60 rds of 75gr TAP ready to grab and go.

Never had a malfunction.