PDA

View Full Version : How did owning a gun save your life?

Uzi4u2
May 31, 2010, 11:03 AM
I was a ticket agent 15 years ago opening up a train station in a very undesirable neighborhood. I was going up the ramp with my bag. I had money and a ton of tokens in the bag. I had no clue that the person in front of me had plans of taking my money from me with his best friend that was right behind me. I didn't realize that I was about to be attacked until I was attacked. The guy in front of me suddenly stopped. The other guy grabbed my bag from behind. I had only a moment to react because the guy in front of me just pulled out his knife. I pulled out my Browning Hi-power. You should have seen his face when he saw this handgun pointing in his face. He turned white, which was a hard thing for him to do. The battle for the bag was over in an instant without me firing a shot. They took off running. I was obviously violating the handgun ban that Chicago had. Luckily for me I don't believe in listening to idiots. Have you had a similar experience or worse?

Onward Allusion
May 31, 2010, 11:16 AM
Glad you made it out ok.

I would suggest not talking about illegal activities online regardless of statute of limitations, especially as it relates to [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]cago. You'll never know when an over zealous ADA want to make a few points with King Richie. I am so so so very glad that I don't live there anymore.

Deputy Dog
May 31, 2010, 11:29 AM
I was on my way to pick up my exgirlfriend at Club she was at with her friends 0130 in the morning. I was carrying my glock 19 with a lasermax installed, this was my night stand gun at the time. As I was on a main street heading down town, some less than Ideal citizens pulled up along side me blasting their radio to god knows what crap they were playing. It was a hot summer night at about 87 degrees, with about 80 percent humidity. I rolled my eyes in disgust and rolled up my window, as soon as the light turned green I took off. A few lights later, the same group pulled up next to me again, the passenger made a shooting gesture with his right hand. Light turned green after I went through it. The next light, I turned my radio off and rolled down my window figuring they were gone, they pulled right up asside of me and as soon as the passenger started coming up with gun in his left hand, I turned the lasermax on and placed the dot right on his forehead and said I win. He looked liked a tanned casper the ghost said to his friend 50, and they sped off through the red light with a marked cruiser watching the whole thing take place. I went to the station to give a statement, and the Duty Officer told me that that vehicle was on its way to do a drive by and had 3 fully automatic AK47s that were illegally altered and stolen in the trunk along with three handguns in the passenger compartment and a sawed off shotgun.

The Duty officer had said to me, God was with tonight ha! I replied, God had nothing to do with it, situational awareness and common sense played its part along with knowing how to protect myself.
DD

gak
May 31, 2010, 11:51 AM
To ward off some interloper while at an informal rest stop on a California road trip many years ago. No shots fired from my Model 10, but strong words spoken for him to "back the (expletive deleted) off" and to both our betterment, he did. These days, protecting oneself suchways, especially as an out-of-stater, would probably get you thrown in the slammer....and just for having a loaded gun in the car, not to mention the wave off. Back in those days, didn't think twice to carry such--especially alone on the road or with loved ones. Sad state (meant both ways) that those days seem to be largely gone in that otherwise beautiful neck o' the woods. Someone can weigh in here if I'm wrong--would be glad to hear it.

Shadi Khalil
May 31, 2010, 12:04 PM
Shooting is one of the best ways for me to unwinde and relax. With stress being far more dangerous to most of us then armed attackers, I'd say that's the way my gun saved/saves my life.

Harry Callahan
May 31, 2010, 12:20 PM
Funny how the highest crime rates coincide with the most restrictive gun laws:rolleyes:. Here in the Chicagoland area we very recently had an incident where an 80 year old man shot and killed an intruder who broke in to his home. He had these guns without a FOID card(mandatory in this state to own a gun), not to mention the handgun ban in Chicago. Hizzoner Daley and his minions were literally speechless and repeatedly dodged questions asking is this was a clear example of why the people of this state(and Chicago)should have the right to defend themselves. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel for the state of Illinois considering the upcoming expected SCOTUS ruling that a handgun ban is unconstitutional. This was just the cherry on the sundae!

HeroHog
May 31, 2010, 12:40 PM
As a teenager (15) working at a gas station by myself at the edge of downtown around midnight, I had a car load of hoodlums try to rob me. An old .22 German derringer appeared from behind my belt-buckle in the drivers ear. I advised them to leave and they did, post haste! No shots fired.

In my 20's I had someone pull a knife to threaten me. My gun trumped his blade. No shots fired.

In my 30's I surprised a burgler coming out the front door of my appartment carrying my guns! He dropped them when he leaped off the second story balcony and ran off. No shots fired.

In my 40's I was cornered by a road-rager who thought I had intentionally threw gravel on his car with my car (front wheel drive no less). He followed me to my job and jumped out of his car threatening me claiming he was a cop etc. while keeping his right hand hidden behind his hood. My hand was hidden as well and it wasn't empty. I advised him he was misteaken and I was sorry it happened and if he was a cop would he please call in his CO so we could discuss the matter. He changed his mind and left. No shots fired.

Gee, who needs to carry a gun?

Old Grump
May 31, 2010, 04:00 PM
My guns saved my boss's life. If it wasn't for that hour on the range immediately after work I would not have been as cool calm and collected as I was in the face of monumental stupidity. I miss that job but not him. 6 months after I left the state closed the place down over infractions that I had warned him about. And he called me an idiot who was only trying to cost him money. :D