PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a fixed front sight

David the Gnome
May 30, 2010, 10:40 AM
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3144/m4small01.jpg

I have this 16" carbine from CMMG which came with a quad rail and a fixed front sight. I have the gun set up pretty close to the way I like it except for the front sight. I would like to replace that fixed front sight with a smaller folding front sight. I would like them to be out of the way unless they are needed. How much work am I getting myself into to replace that fixed front sight, and if I take it off do I have to replace it with a cap or something? It appears as though that front sight is largely responsible for holding on the front handguard, though I could be quite mistaken about that. Is this even something I should worry about, or is it going to be more work than it's worth?

n7qvu
May 30, 2010, 11:00 AM
It has 3 pins that hold it. Two are taper pins and only come out from one side. Remove them and it should slide off unless your flash supressor doesn't come off. If your flash is pinned on, then you will need to cut off the front site.
There are many places that have replacement low profile units. Check out YHM.net Be very careful with the barrel dia. measured at the front sight. They are several sizes and you will need to replace with correct size. I recall they come in .65, .75 and .95 maybe more.