PDA

View Full Version : Is a Ruger P95 a good gun to buy?

alang
May 23, 2010, 12:01 PM
I plan to buy a Ruger P95, 10+1 round but have no experience at all because i am new to firearms.
It would be for self-home defense, and my budget is tight.
Please anyone has used or oenwd the P95 giving me advices.
Thanks a lot

dpetreikis
May 23, 2010, 12:17 PM
i've owned 2 p95s, as well as a couple of p97s (45 acp) and have had no problems with any of them. exceptionally reliable, sturdy guns. they tend to look and feel a little blocky to some, though personally i kinda like the way they look. will typically feed just about anything you can get your hands on and accurate enough for most users/situations. reasonably priced and good value - p95s usually go for around $300 or so new, a little less used. good luck!

lee n. field
May 23, 2010, 12:29 PM
10+1

Are you in a jurisdiction that restricts magazine capacity? Normal capacity is 15+1.

alang
May 23, 2010, 12:32 PM
yes, i live in CA.

Leejack
May 23, 2010, 01:07 PM
Yes, it is.

Lee

BerettaBuckeye
May 23, 2010, 01:36 PM
P95 is a great gun for the money, you won't be disappointed if you're looking for a da/sa 9mm pistol :cool:. Those 10 round mags are an abomination though:barf:

jonsparks
May 23, 2010, 02:11 PM
Here's mine. I like it so far. Reliable through 300 rounds. I'm one
of the few that really likes the Art Deco looks of the P95. I put a
strip of skateboard tape on the backstrap so it isn't so slick. I just
wish I could have gotten one with the decocker and not the manual safety..
Buy it, you support Arizona too!

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq354/yerscattergun/Roof-8209.jpg

TriumphGuy
May 23, 2010, 05:19 PM
You won't do any better in the price range. In fact, for $300 you'll do far worse if you buy about anything else. Only problem you might have is that some have shipped with a rear sight that's WAY too high. A phone call to Ruger will get you a new one free if you do.

If you're strictly concerned about home defense though, you'd be better off spending $200 on a Mossberg 500 in 12 guage and load it with buckshot.

ISC
May 23, 2010, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't reccomend one for concealed carry, but since you're in Ca that isn't likely to be a concern. they're kind big and clunky, but they're very robust and reliable.

ESI Agent
May 23, 2010, 05:31 PM
I have two new generation P95's. They are durable/reliable and as far as accuracy goes I shoot a perfect score with it. IM very happy with mine and know many other owners of Ruger P95's that are also very happy with their purchase. They are also backed by a life time warranty and made in the U.S. Be safe. :D

madmag
May 23, 2010, 06:21 PM
I own a P90.

Second what others have said.....any P series is good. They are reliable, durable (tank), and accurate. One of the best bargains in the gun world.

I have lots of other brands, including other Rugers, but I would choose my P90 for reliable open carry or home defense over most of my other pistols.

schmeky
May 23, 2010, 06:30 PM
Probably the only series of auto loaders on the market that are almost entirely investment casting with metal injection molded internal parts. They have an excellent reputation for being durable and reliable.

Nakanokalronin
May 24, 2010, 04:21 AM
I've had a P89 and P95. Both were 100% reliable and as much as I like the guns they are something I can never keep in my collection. They always go the way of the dodo when I'm looking to trade something in for a new purchase. Their nice but the P series is something I just don't hold dear and don't feel bad when its gone.

Kreyzhorse
May 24, 2010, 06:47 AM
Yep. Great gun for the money. You won't be disappointed with it and Ruger has great customer service if you ever have an issue.

skoro
May 24, 2010, 07:17 AM
It would be for self-home defense

The P95 is a good home defense weapon. It's big and cumbersome for concealed carry, though. But it's a reliable, accurate, and effective pistol. I recently gave mine to my nephew when he moved to Ft Worth. And he's using it as his HD gun. He's very pleased with it.

Leejack
May 24, 2010, 07:20 AM
I've owned my fair share of Rugers; never had a problem!

P series may not be the most eloquent of guns; but I think most will agree that they are venerable work horses.;)

Lee

tightgrouper
May 24, 2010, 07:28 AM
I love my P95! It is the most reliable pistol I have owned. In almost 2000rds, I've not had 1 single malfunction of any sort. That pistol will function with any ammunition you feed it flawlessly. The accuracy is very good. It hits where it's pointed. The action is a proven, tried & true design. and it's simple to field strip and clean.
You won't be disappointed with a P95.

lee n. field
May 24, 2010, 01:25 PM
Are you in a jurisdiction that restricts magazine capacity?

yes, i live in CA.

Given that, I suggest also looking also at the Ruger P345 (or P97, if you're looking in the used section). 8 of .45, vs. 10 of 9x19.

iblong
May 25, 2010, 06:24 AM
At its price point its an exceptional HD or range pistol.
A little bulky for daily carry.

blume357
May 25, 2010, 06:31 AM
with a problem with a P95, where else would they go. Usually it's and easy fix and the worst that will happen is you have to call Ruger and they send a box for you to ship it to them in and then you get basically a custom gun back.

I own 3 P95s and they all perform perfectly. I do have to say before my first P95 I was a revolver guy and the first 200 rounds through that initial p95 I could not hit anything... I don't know if it was me or the pistol or a combination of both.... but now I'm a little better.

alang
May 30, 2010, 01:50 AM
Thanks a lot for all of your advices. I just bought a P95, will have to wait 11 days to have it. I will bring it to the range ASAP whenever I have it,

tightgrouper
May 30, 2010, 10:42 AM
awesome. You'll have a pistol that you know will function without a doubt. Nice feeling.

sharpblade
May 30, 2010, 11:39 AM
I don't think you can buy a better gun for the money.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/walker_019/Picture401.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/walker_019/Picture400.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/walker_019/Picture398.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/walker_019/Picture399.jpg

publius
May 30, 2010, 12:11 PM
I have had and have lot's of semi-auto pistols over the years and the Ruger P series sits at the top as far as reliability goes. I've got 2 P-94's and a P-90 and have never had a malfunction with any of them no matter what I feed them and how dirty they are.

jhart
May 30, 2010, 02:46 PM
I loved my P95 (de-cocker). I sold it a few days ago and bought the SR9, another great Ruger for a great price, so, if you you have the extra $100 buck I would get the SR9, but the P95 is a great gun just bulky. Ruger also has the best customer service. I have used them with some issues I had with my GP-100 and they were GREAT!!!

rugerfreak
May 30, 2010, 06:06 PM
The P95 is GTG.

Get the Galco Cop-3 slot if you want to carry it.

tightgrouper
May 30, 2010, 06:51 PM
Get the Galco Cop-3 slot if you want to carry it.

I need to give that a try. That looks like the answer to comfy carry for the P95.

ESI Agent
May 30, 2010, 07:17 PM
You could spend a lot more money and not get a firearm as good as most Rugers. My first generation has over 20K rounds thru it. The P95 rocks. :cool:

Sevens
May 30, 2010, 07:31 PM
Cool, you've got yours... I'll still add my comments in the event anyone else is considering one.

I didn't realize how much I needed this handgun until I saw it in the store with it's price tag. Mine was used, circa 1994 so it was a Crime Bill era pistol and it came with two 10-rd magazines for $229 plus tax. I realized that I needed a handgun to carry on the days where I know I will be going somewhere that I'm forbidden to carry... when I know it will mostly have to be left in the car. No worrying about my EDC, I can lock this one in the car and worry less about it getting stolen.

It's a rock, it never jams or misfeeds, it's more than accurate enough, but no match pistol. I do use the 10-rd mags at the range, but I carry the Mec-Gar flush fitting 17-rd mags in it. (they work 100% reliably)

I don't care for the ultra-slick grip, feels like a bar of soap in the shower, it's so slippery. I put the Hogue hand-all grip on it and it's bulkier than I like, but it fits my hand well with that thing on there.

It's worth every single penny I spent on it. This is a hard working, reliable and durable pistol. For the money they go for (new or used), it's a helluva buy.

grantman
May 30, 2010, 07:39 PM
Great gun, only complaint I had is the heavy DA trigger pull on the first shot which I could never master. Changing out the spring helped out a great deal as suggested by another forum member:
railroader

You can install a 19lb. hammmer spring. It will reduce the double action trigger pull weight. You just tap the pin out at the base of the grip. Pull out the plug and the spring. Now put it all back together with the new spring. http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...D=1&mID=52#273

omahahaha
May 30, 2010, 09:17 PM
Keep it clean and it's great. I love how it feels in my big sasquatch hands. Make sure it feels good to you before you buy it.

Shane Tuttle
May 30, 2010, 11:47 PM
It was the first handgun bought after being married. Needed a gun my wife can learn with and still be proficient if she needed to defend herself.

They are also backed by a life time warranty and made in the U.S.

IIRC, Ruger doesn't provide an actual written warranty if that's what you mean.

EdInk
May 30, 2010, 11:58 PM
I do not own one of the pistols in question but based in all the other Ruger guns that I do have, you will be satisfied. For your purposes it would fill the order. One of my good friends owns one and like you he doesn't shoot often but has it for HD and from the looks of it, the gun appears to made for such purpose.

nefprotector
May 31, 2010, 11:38 AM
I like my Ruger P95 9mm. In the beginning it felt kinda Big and blocky. But I got use to it. Shoots great and has never failed me. I would recommend to anyone.