PDA

View Full Version : PPK/s question

chuckwg
May 18, 2010, 05:07 PM
Putting the gun in safe mode using the decocking lever pulls the trigger back and leaves it there. When the decocking lever is pushed to the fire position the trigger is returned to the normal position.
Question, if I am carrying the gun with the safety on should the trigger be left in the back position or does it make any difference?

Thanks,
Chuck

Chesster
May 18, 2010, 05:24 PM
Welcome Chuck. I always flip the safety off and release the trigger after dropping the hammer, then reapply if needed. Mostly, when I carried my PP guns, I carried with safety off.

Dfariswheel
May 18, 2010, 06:17 PM
It's "probably" better to allow the trigger to reset, then re-apply the safety if you want to carry with it on.

If you keep the trigger back, it's going to make some noise when you turn the safety off, and you may not want to inform anyone around that you've just readied a gun for use.

The Walther is a very safe design dating back to 1929. It was designed to be carried with the chamber loaded and the safety off, but if you feel better with it on, that's entirely a personal choice.

chuckwg
May 18, 2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the input, I pocket carry and would rather keep the safety on.
I just read a post earlier discussing sitting down and having the gun pointing at someone so it's safer this way.

Thanks again
Chuck

James K
May 18, 2010, 08:16 PM
That gun was meant to be carried with the safety off, and that can be done in perfect safety; the "safety" is intended primarily as the de-cocking lever, not like the safety on, say, a M1911.

Unless you plan to go around pulling the trigger, applying the safety does not make the pistol any safer than with the safety off.

I strongly recommend against any carry method that lets the gun point at you or anyone else. The best carry method is in a good holster with the gun pointing downward. I recall someone in the movies had two shoulder holsters which held the guns pointing behind him; in the inevitable gunfight, he had a dozen bad guys behind him and fired both guns at the same time without even drawing, killing all the baddies. Only in the movies.

Jim

michael t
May 18, 2010, 11:26 PM
Hammer down safety off I carry that way as do most here. I maintain that in a real SD That so called safety will be near impossible to push off . You will be scared and that little lever required you hand to adjust also the thumb is in a unnatural position. Trying to push safety/decocker off. The safety on, say a 1911 falls under the thumb ,and its a natural down ward press. As thumb moves in to proper grip. This not possible with the Walther design or its copies.

In pocket in a proper pocket holster the Walther is as safe as any revolver Leave that silly decocker off

chuckwg
May 19, 2010, 04:06 AM
I agree and welcome any suggestions as to a better way of carrying. I do heating & air conditioning work in residential homes and many customers would be upset if they knew I was carrying.
Climbing in, over and around equipment, many times with the customer watching makes it hard to keep from printing.
My main reason for carrying is vicious dogs.
I had 4 incidents last year, one of which was almost fatal and you never know when it's going to happen so pocket carry has been the best so far.

Thanks,
Chuck

Chesster
May 19, 2010, 04:21 AM
Chuck, what do you feed that PPK/S?

chuckwg
May 19, 2010, 04:26 AM
Still experimenting, I had too many FTF with Blazer and am now using Winchester FMJ so far no problems.