PDA

View Full Version : Sig or Glock

TinyDee
May 18, 2010, 04:22 PM
Here is another one, I have never owned a Glock for any length of time but now about to get one or the other. My choice should be? And why....:confused:

Crapulence
May 18, 2010, 04:29 PM
What is the intended use? I have a 228 and a g31 I like them both. The sig is more fun to fondle, the glocks are pretty boring. The wife and I, as well as my friends, shoot the G31 better than the 228. If its for home protection I would suggest a full size glock. It is a bit cheaper and does the job well.

rsxr22
May 18, 2010, 04:30 PM
you cannot go wrong with either gun. Many will say that Sig's are more accurate and i believe they are to some extent. I believe both to be very similar when it comes to combat accuracy. I own glocks and sigs and love them both, but if SHTF i would go to my Glock. I shoot it better and it personally feels better in my hand then my sigs. My sig's are reserved more for just target shooting, but would not be disappointed if i was issued either

dsa1115
May 18, 2010, 04:36 PM
They are both excellent guns. Weight should be a consideration depending on what your doing with the gun. If it's just a home defense gun, or a range gun, either is fine. If your going to be CCW, Glock's for the most part will be a lot lighter.

fightingbard
May 18, 2010, 04:37 PM
Of course I think it is much wiser to discuss on the specific model and caliber, in general I would say...

Comfort (ergonomics) and accuracy goes for SIG
Although I hate to admit this, pretty much everything else goes for Glock (forgive me my everlasting love-the venerable 220) :D

All the best

rsxr22
May 18, 2010, 04:41 PM
ergonomics would definitely depend on the shooters hand and with the introduction of the Gen4, glock is able to make an even better case in the ergonomic dept. I personally feel that my glocks feel much better in the hand then the Sig. I do not like where they place the slide stop button because occassionally my thumb will ride on it and i will not get slide lock.

Edward429451
May 18, 2010, 04:52 PM
I shot my buddys Sig better than my G21. I couldn't use my two thumbs forward grip with the G21 because my thumb would engage the slide stop mid magazine under recoil.

I've shot many models of Sigs (226, 229, 220, 245) and they always impressed me. Sure they cost more than a Glock but you get a lot more pistol for the money. Sigs don't have the Kaboom reputation and no ammo restrictions with the Sig, lead...anything.

Sig is the better choice. The extra money is well spent.

IanS
May 18, 2010, 04:52 PM
SIG Sauer has a rather broad range of handguns while Glock models are all basically the same except size and caliber.

There are plenty of differences between them but your choice should basically come down to the trigger type you prefer. People can tell you which you should prefer but its better to find out on your own. If you're looking for recommendations the best bets to start looking at are the classic DA/SA versions of the P226 and P229 or any of the Glock models in 9mm (I also like the Glock 21SF and 20SF as well if your mitts are big enough).

I've owned SIG Sauers for many years and today I prefer Glocks. If I was forced to shoot SIG Sauers again I wouldn't mind. But I'd want a lot of range time to get re-acclimated to the DA/SA transition and decocking the hammer again.

Chesster
May 18, 2010, 05:28 PM
I have Sig 226/228s and G17/19/22. All Glocks but one
17 are second generation, no finger grooves on grip. For CCW, my preference is the G19 as it holds 15 rounds of 9mm, lightwt., shoots well, and conceals easily in an IWB holster. The most fun to shoot at the range is the Sig 226.

AK103K
May 18, 2010, 05:29 PM
I couldn't use my two thumbs forward grip with the G21 because my thumb would engage the slide stop mid magazine under recoil.
This is usually a SIG specific problem more than it is a Glock. The placement of the slide stop on the SIG's usually requires some heavy mental retraining as far as your grip and where your right thumb goes, especially if your transitioning from a 1911. I have a number of both pistols, and never had the issue with a Glock. I still have it on occasion with my SIG's, but I've been shooting them less these days, which is probably the reason why.

I'd say pick what tickles your fancy and you'll be fine. They are both good guns and they both work. The only downside to the SIG's these days is the cost. The guns, as well as the mags are a good bit more than the Glocks. The other advantage to the Glocks is the mags. You can use the mags from the larger models in most all the smaller models without issue. This allows a lot more flexibility and is also a lot more economical.

DBAR
May 18, 2010, 05:29 PM
Get both!

I can only tell you what I can from my personal experiences.

I have a Glock 36, and it's a very reliable, light wieght, easy to carry handgun. It does it's intended purpose very well. It gets carried alot. It shoots well, and with total reliability. It's a no "frills" gun that I carry alot.

The Sigs are just in a different class. Their triggers are sweet, and they just feel right in my hand. They point so naturally for me, it's kind of hard for me to miss much with them. I can shoot them more rapid than I can the Glocks, and with a bit more accuracy. They just feel alot more solid to me, and to me, they're worth the extra change....

DBAR

guypowell
May 18, 2010, 06:26 PM
I own three SIGs, and they are my most cherished pistols, but I carry a Glock both at work and off-duty. Glocks are accurate enough and nearly indestrustable.

Glock_19
May 18, 2010, 06:39 PM
Personally I'm a little biased, but my glock is now through close to 2000 rounds without a hiccup.

RT
May 18, 2010, 08:06 PM
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n443/thorm001/IMG_4409-1.jpg

Deaf Smith
May 18, 2010, 09:15 PM
Glock and here is why (unless your Sig has a DAK trigger.)

The Sig and Glocks are both very reliable. Both accurate for the intended purpose. But...

1) The Glock is a bit more compact for the cartridge/round count.

2) The Glocks frame, not being aluminum, is much more robust.

3) Glocks can be totaly dissassembled to be cleaned or parts changed. But Sigs require someone very well studied on the weapon and some specialzed tools to do this.

4) Glocks, having only like kind of trigger pull is much easier to shoot as no DA/SA transition is needed.

Now I say this cause while I have a bunch of Glocks I do also have a 229 and 239 Sig. I even qualfied at LFI-1 with the 239 years ago. I do know Sigs!

Now if you get a DAK trigger on the Sig, you will find it makes the whole thing much easier to master. But most Sigs are not like that.

So I would perfer a Glock (but you would be wise to master the SA/DA!)

chris in va
May 18, 2010, 09:26 PM
I'm generally not a fan of striker polymer guns, but after firing a G19 with the lighter disconnector, I was highly impressed. So was the owner, asking me how I kept hitting the 3" steel plate at 20 yards repeatedly.:eek::p

Edward429451
May 18, 2010, 09:54 PM
This is usually a SIG specific problem more than it is a Glock. The placement of the slide stop on the SIG's usually requires some heavy mental retraining as far as your grip and where your right thumb goes, especially if your transitioning from a 1911.

Interesting because it never happened to me with the Sigs, only the G21.

Young.Gun.612
May 18, 2010, 10:02 PM
I had one uncle who had a Glock, and traded it for a Sig.

Then my other uncle who owned a Sig, sold it and bought a Glock.

Not relevant at all, but I just thought it was funny. So is there some sort of Glock vs. Sig rivalry?

lsufan1971
May 18, 2010, 10:22 PM
3) Glocks can be totaly dissassembled to be cleaned or parts changed. But Sigs require someone very well studied on the weapon and some specialzed tools to do this

A Sig disassembles in almost the same fashion as a glock. I have owned both and the sig is actually easier to take down.

Firepower!
May 18, 2010, 10:30 PM
It is like you buy one and crave the other. I am on my second Sig226, but still have my G19 from 1992.

TinyDee
May 19, 2010, 07:53 AM
Wow, good thinking on these, and it seems like either would be fine, so I just need to shoot both, handle both and then go, right?

Warchild
May 19, 2010, 08:12 AM
Your choice should be a Glock 19 or 23.... best mid sized polymer pistol ever manufactured IMO. Great for range work, HD, and especially CCW.

MTS840
May 19, 2010, 08:45 AM
Here is another one, I have never owned a Glock for any length of time but now about to get one or the other. My choice should be? And why

Don't ask other people what YOU should get. Just try to handle and fire both models you're interested in and make up your own mind.

We won't be there to help you carry it every day or assist you on the firing line. Get whatever you choose and then tell us how you made your decision.

And don't forget to post pictures of your choice and the targets you shoot with it!

FreakGasolineFight
May 19, 2010, 08:48 AM
I'm with MTS840. You have to make up your own mind. I'd get the Sig, any Sig, above a Glock, but I'm not you.

group17
May 19, 2010, 08:58 AM
Buy used, that way you can own one of each for the price of a new Sig.

greyeyezz
May 19, 2010, 09:53 AM
A Sig disassembles in almost the same fashion as a glock. I have owned both and the sig is actually easier to take down.

Field strip maybe but not total disassembly. Roll pins on a Sig should be replaced when removed.