PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Sig Sauer - P239 Gen 2 in .40 S&W...

Zander1146
May 18, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hi guys, I finally got my Sig P239 Gen 2 - Two Tone in the .40 S&W. I had it on order so I had to buy it when it came in. Before I ordered it I handled a few P239's too make sure it fit my hands and that the weight was ok, but this 40 cal is way heavier than what I had handled. I was going to use this as my CCW but man is this thing HEAVY! I think it's too heavy to be a CCW...
but Sig says that this gun is their most concealable gun they sell...

So now I am looking for a smaller and lighter CCW in a .45 ACP. The two brands that I like so far are the Para's Warthawg or the Slimhawg and the Kimber Crimson Carry with the 3" barrel in the .45 ACP. I have searched this board for the Para and it looks like some people have had great luck with this and others not so much... I have small/medium hands and it's so hard to find certain guns around here so I decided to ask here what are some of your thoughts on these guns. I currently own Sig's, I have a P220 Stainless Elite, P229 SCT 9mm, P239 SAS Gen 2 Two-Tone in the 40 S&W and a P238 Tactical Laser .380. All these guns fit my hands great, so I was wondering if anyone that has either the Para or the Kimber could tell me which one might fit me the best compared to the Sig's that I own?

Also, does anyone know how I can put my P239 on a DIET and make it loose some weight? :) hehehe

Thanks all...

Uncle Malice
May 18, 2010, 02:44 PM
Pics or it didn't happen!

:-)

I like the P239. It is heavier than, say, a Glock. But I don't think it's too bad. I don't really have a problem carrying a P229.

it's certainly not the most concealable gun they make. That would definitely be the P238.

Osageshooter
May 18, 2010, 02:56 PM
I have a 239 in 9mm and a 239 SAS in 40. Love them both for accuracy that is virtually as good and my 229, 226, and 220. Reliability is excellent. The DA/SA mode makes it safe in a buttpack or in a jacket. It does weigh more than some, and the mag capacity isn't high; but I go for the groups I can shoot out to 25m and still have it in the pocket of my bowhunting jacket or my buttpack while bicycling.

DBAR
May 18, 2010, 02:56 PM
I like the P239, and someday I may have one, but I also thought they where a bit heavy. I opted to purchase the P229 SAS, as it's about the same weight, and it holds a few more rounds. I usually carry a Glock 36, which I've found to be the lightest, most reliable, and conceable 45 acp handgun. The P229 is about the same size, just a bit wider, with a little longer grip.

I will probably own a P239 someday, they are great guns, just a bit heavy. In fact, my P220 SAO appears to be lighter than my friend P239 when both of them are empty. I like the small P239, and when I do get one, I figure that the weight of the gun is something I'll get use to.

DBAR

tincanhunter
May 18, 2010, 03:04 PM
I carry a P239 357Sig in a DeSantis Mini Scabbard and don't notice the weight. Truth is, all the pistols you mentioned are within a 4-5 ounces of the P229 empty, so I don't know if you would really notice a big difference in weight with any of the others and a loaded mag. Matter fact, the Slimhawg actually weighs more.

At one time I carried a Kahr CW45 which was quite a bit lighter than the P239 (about 10oz). I will have to say, the lack of mass made recoil fun. Not an issue...just fun!

Zander1146
May 18, 2010, 03:51 PM
Yes, the P238 is very concealable.. I love the Tac version! I like it the best. The only problem I have is that when it's fired the grip chews up my right hand thumb (because of the checkered aluminum grip) maybe after I use it a while it will smooth out while it takes some skin off my thumb... :)

So you think the Para and the Kimber would be about the same weight?

Uncle Malice
May 18, 2010, 04:15 PM
NOTE: You can get the Mec-Gar magazines which carry more rounds than the Sig factory versions in the same space. Mec-Gar makes the mags for Sig, the only only difference is that they are stamped as "Mec Gar" instead of "Sig Sauer".

The 9mm mags for the P229 are 15 rds and the P226 are 18 rds.

In my experience, they have been every bit as reliable as the factory magazines.

GotTheFeaver
May 18, 2010, 08:28 PM
Zander..funny..I first purchased the Crimson Kimber Ultra Carry II for my primary carry. There's another thread here where I described the problems I've had with FTEs. I sent it back to Kimber for service and hope to have it back in a week or two. In the mean time, I felt a little naked, so I went out and bought a Sig 239 SAS Gen II two-tone in .40.

I've had it to the range and it worked flawlessly. I live in FL and like to wear shorts & t-shirts. I just received my Comp Tac - Minotaur MTAC Holster Saturday and tried it out today for the first time out. I went to Home Depot and the guy I was with knows I have my new 239. I didn't say anything about carrying it until we were headed back home. He said he had actually looked twice and didn't see a thing and was surprised at how well it concealed. (I'm 5'-8" and 160lbs)

The 239 disappears under a t-shirt and shorts! The true test has been with my wife. I haven't told her about the 239 because she'd flip her lid..but I've been carrying it all day right under her nose and she hasn't even noticed it!

The 239 is almost identical in size and weight to the Ultra Carry II. I have a Crossbreed holster for my Kimber. The Crossbreed has a larger footprint than the MTAC. I think I may prefer the MTAC and will probably order another for my Kimber..assuming she behaves when she comes back home!

I've carried the 239 all day and while you can feel it, it's not uncomfortable and is very comparable to the Kimber. It is a bit heavy compared to the plastic guns, but I already have a 229 and really like how it handles and cleans up.

The other guns on my short list were a Walther and a SA XD. The XD felt very top heavy.

twhidd
May 18, 2010, 09:03 PM
My carry gun is a Sig P239 in .40SW. I carry in a Don Hume H721 OT. I pull my T-shirt down over it and I hardly know it's there. I love that gun.

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss339/twhiddon1970/IMG_2501.jpg

fastforty
May 18, 2010, 09:15 PM
My first carry was a P239/.40, toted it around for 8 years. You get used to the weight and it's comforting. The added weight over an ultralight also makes it a lot more pleasant to shoot. Switched off to a Kahr PM9 and it was like slipping a book of matches in my pocket after carrying a backpack flamethrower around for years, LOL.

Zander1146
May 19, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hey GotTheFeaver, man, you sound Identical to me... :)

I will have to check out that holster for the P239 Gen that you have...

Do you have a link?

I guess what I was asking in the beginning of this post was, out of the two guns I mentioned, the Para - Slimhawg or Warthog and the Kimber Crimson Carry (all 3") which one would be the best to get and which sig would you say that either one of those guns would match as in weight and size?

GotTheFeaver already answered about the Kimber (similar to the P239 Gen2 .40)...which I appreciate.. anyone got anything on the Warthawg or Slimhawg?

Zander1146
May 19, 2010, 10:05 AM
hey twhidd, are those Houge grips? Can you hook me up with a link? I was thinking about buying the Crimson Trace Laser grips for my P239 Gen2 .40 cal...

I can't decide.. :)

GotTheFeaver
May 19, 2010, 10:46 AM
Zander..I was also looking at the Para Warthawg and Slim Hawg. I really liked them on paper, but when I did my research, I heard many were having problems..so I got my Kimber..LOL!! So much for the Kimber not giving me any problems. I found this forum after I bought my Kimber and experienced the FTE's...I still really like the Slim Hawg and I find myself dreaming about it. One other I really like and nearly bought was the SA EMP..very nice and nearly equivalent to the Kimber.

This may help on size/comparison..
http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.jpg

Here's the more extensive list:
http://www.mouseguns.com/CompactCompare.pdf

Once you've narrowed down your list..check them out in person. I prefer either the .40 or .45 as a carry. I don't want to have to stock too many calibers..not enough room and my wife complains enough about my ammo habit!

GotTheFeaver
May 19, 2010, 10:51 AM
I was thinking about getting these for my 239, but I heard the rubber makes your shirt ride up. Since I like to wear T-shirts, I was concerned..one other option that just looks cool and I'm considering are the Aluminum Houge grips.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/hogue-extreme-aluminum-grips-p239-checkered-matte-black.html

This is something I've already replaced..why would Sig make a plastic guide rod? My only other complaints other than the standard Sig grips..

http://www.rhynotek.com/Stainless_Steel_Guide_Rod_for_Sig_P239_p/601139.htm

Going back and forth if I want to upgrade all the controls to nickle..it would cost a couple hundred bucks for the parts.

Rinspeed
May 19, 2010, 11:38 AM
in. Before I ordered it I handled a few P239's too make sure it fit my hands and that the weight was ok, but this 40 cal is way heavier than what I had handled. I was going to use this as my CCW but man is this thing HEAVY!

Maybe it's finally time to hit the gym. ;)

GotTheFeaver
May 19, 2010, 12:12 PM
Forgot to add this link for my 239 holster:

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

Zander1146
May 19, 2010, 01:41 PM
Wow, man I have been looking for a size chart like that forever! Thanks a TON for the links...

Yea, I have been doing some weight lifting and building up my arms... using my guns... hehehe... ;-)

Zander1146
May 19, 2010, 01:43 PM
Yea, watch out for those Aluminum Checkered grips, they will tear your skin off...

Zander1146
May 19, 2010, 01:47 PM
" Minotaur MTAC Holster
Forgot to add this link for my 239 holster:

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95 "

I don't see how you wear that inside your waistband... how do you sit down, how do you drive a car? Or do you drive a truck?

Zander1146
May 19, 2010, 02:04 PM
Anyone tried the "Mr Softy" from these guys?

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Mr_Softy/_mr_softy.html

and

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/product_line.html

GotTheFeaver
May 19, 2010, 02:07 PM
I wear it more around 5 o'clock up higher in the arch of my back..Sometimes I shift it to the side a little in the car. It actually provides a bit of lumbar support in the car..there you go, carrying is therapeutic necessity. I've worn it at the 3-4 position, but you can see something's there from the front/back when I wear shorts..jeans are ok. The only thing I would recommend is getting a stiff belt that can support the weight.

I've tried smaller holsters, but they move around too much. Do a search on YouTube for the holster you're looking at and you will find several videos of how people wear them...Crossbreed has one on their website.

Lima (a real hottie) has a nice selection of holster's she talks about..she doesn't model them though. She does have a video on concealing..really only relevant for women, but she's nice to watch anyway. She carries a Kimber UCII!

http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife

Zander1146
May 19, 2010, 02:26 PM
Cool, thanks for the info... Looks like I will be spending some money until I find the right one...

I have heard that a lot of people spend more money on holsters than the gun... :D

Zander1146
May 19, 2010, 02:31 PM
I have this holster on order... I am going to try this one out... don't know what kind of problems it is going to give me. I might try the Mr. Softy or the one you are using... so many to choose from...

opps, here is the link

http://www.elitesurvival.com/index.php?p=product&id=26&parent=2

benzuncle
May 19, 2010, 05:38 PM
My P239 is a 357SIG. I love the round and the firearm. I carry it mostly in a DeSantis Nemesis in the inside pocket of my cargo shorts/pants; it doesn't print. I don't consider the weight an issue. YMMV. I bought 4 more mags to go with the 2 it came with from Top Gun Supply. Good folks, those. The mags were used police mags. Funny thing though, the police forgot to take them out of the original plastic wrappers and clean the crud off them! :D The P239 is as straight of shooter as I've ever shot. Makes me look good. Love the Sig Nite Sights too.

Shadi Khalil
May 19, 2010, 05:54 PM
Both the Warthog and the Kimber will be heavier than the 239.

twhidd
May 19, 2010, 08:13 PM
I found the standard factory grips to be a little too thin. The Hogues are just right in my opinion. I think I got mine from Amazon.

The only real complaint I have about the gun is the placement of the slide release. All Sigs are like that. I shoot my semiautos with thumbs forward. Sometimes my thumb comes in contact with the slide release and prevent it from locking the slide open after the last round. I spoke to an ATF agent once who told me the same thing. A very minor complaint in my book, but this guy said they really didn't like that.

GotTheFeaver
May 19, 2010, 09:51 PM
I've heard the same thing from others..I saw a couple guys do reviews and complained about the same problem. I haven't had that problem at all with either of my Sigs. I keep my thumbs facing forward as well, but they don't ride up unless its deliberate...guess I'm paranoid about getting anywhere near that slide!

Zander1146
May 20, 2010, 11:46 AM
Yea, I keep my thumbs AWAY from the slide... I already learned my lesson on that.. :)

DBAR
May 20, 2010, 12:27 PM
The only real complaint I have about the gun is the placement of the slide release. All Sigs are like that. I shoot my semiautos with thumbs forward. Sometimes my thumb comes in contact with the slide release and prevent it from locking the slide open after the last round. I spoke to an ATF agent once who told me the same thing. A very minor complaint in my book, but this guy said they really didn't like that.

I really like the fact that all of the controls are on the left side of the gun. I've never had the problem you guys are talking about, and I shoot with thumbs forward, with a very high grip. I shoot all of my guns like I do my 1911's. I've told many people that I'd hate Sig handguns if I didn't shoot left handed. I'm lucky, I'm right handed, but left eye dominant, so I learned early on to just shoot left handed.

DBAR

Rinspeed
May 21, 2010, 02:48 PM
For the heck of it I put the stock grips back on my 239 today. I'm sure they will be a little more concealable but they just plain suck compared to the Hogue finger groove grips. I hate rubber grips but what a night and day difference. Here is what I carry mine in, the Alessi Talon Plus.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/IMG_0804.jpg

Zander1146
May 24, 2010, 04:43 PM
Nice Pic! I went to a gun show over the past weekend and I found a Para Warthawg, the grips are way too fat and way too short...

I also found a Kimber - Ultra Carry II (45 ACP) with Kimber rubber grips. It was really nice (all black). If I would of had the money (850) I would have bought it... They also had a stainless version, looks like I might go with a Kimber 45 carry one day... got to save up that cash! :)

The Para seems cheaply made to me compared to the Kimber... You were right, the pictures in the Magazines of the Para's guns are deceptive... they look way better in the pictures than in real life. Must be some Photoshop editing done to them...

GotTheFeaver
May 25, 2010, 03:52 PM
Para seems cheaply made to me compared to the Kimber

I held the Warthog and my Kimber Crimson UCII and the decision was Kimber for the same reason you mentioned. Too bad my Kimber didn't work out the first time.

I did hear back from Kimber on Monday. I should receive my re-tuned gun back tomorrow. They tested 4 different mags (3 Wilson Combat & the original Kimber) with various ammo (FMJ & HP) and claim the gun is tip top.

Can't wait to get to the range to test her out..maybe tomorrow afternoon. In the mean time..still carrying my P239 and I'm very happy with it. I ordered a new gun belt from beltman..awsome product. I'm counting down the days till I get it.:D

Zander1146
May 26, 2010, 05:21 PM
Keep us posted gotthefever...

And BTW, I have Gun Fever also... :)

Hehehe!!!

GotTheFeaver
May 27, 2010, 09:50 AM
Here's a few pics for comparison purposes. Honestly, the weight with a full mag feels about the same. The dimensions are very close. I will be testing out my returned Kimber over the weekend. I could tell the ejector is sitting out much further than it did before...thinking I could have done that!! I have seen an ejector tuning tool at Midway for under $30.

GotTheFeaver
May 27, 2010, 09:52 AM
Kimber vs P239 Part II

GotTheFeaver
May 27, 2010, 09:53 AM
Kimber vs P239 Part III

DBAR
May 27, 2010, 03:23 PM
You guys really had to post up all of these pictures, didn't you? I think the next handgun I get is going to be a P239 in 357 Sig. I just bought a P229 SAS Gen II in 357 Sig, and I've been carrying everywhere I go even with shorts on, but it's a little tougher to conceal. I've got a P220 SAO, and a P229 SAS, so the next one would naturally be the P239. Right? Sounds good to me.... There, I just convinced myself!

DBAR

Zander1146
May 27, 2010, 04:34 PM
WOW! Nice pics, thanks man!

Yea, that is what I am looking for too... :)

You said it was about the same weight as the sig? Is that with the clip fully loaded? How many rounds does the Kimber hold?

GotTheFeaver
May 27, 2010, 10:02 PM
You said it was about the same weight as the sig? Is that with the clip fully loaded? How many rounds does the Kimber hold?

By actual weight and with full mags, I believe the Kimber is an ounce or two lighter than the P239. I really can't tell there's any significant difference without a scale. The stock mags for both hold 7 rounds, so you can carry 7 + 1 on both. (The 9mm 239 has an extended mag that can hold 8) I have a couple Wilson Combat 8 round mags for the Kimber.

I have to say though, I'm much more comfortable wearing the P239 chambered due to the decocking and 10lb DA trigger pull than I am with the Kimber cocked and locked...which I know is stupid. I plan to carry the Kimber cocked and locked without it chambered just to get comfortable with it. I have a Crossbreed Holster that does a great job of protecting the safety..but I need to get to the comfort level with the holster (and in my mind). I'm sure I'll get there and I see no sense in not carrying the Kimber cocked and locked if its my concealed weapon...those crucial fragments of a second will count.

Zander1146
May 28, 2010, 01:26 PM
Yea, that is one good thing about the DAO/SAO sig's you can put one in the pipe and then de-cock it. Which makes it more safer to carry...

One more question... do you find it uncomfortable to carry around a concealed gun with the Beavertails?

Keep us posted on how your kimber shoots...

Later man!

GotTheFeaver
May 30, 2010, 08:43 PM
Finally made it to the range yesterday. I am pleased with the result.:D

I ran two hundred rounds, mostly FMJ and only a handful of my Ranger T's I use for carry. I had 1 FTE out of the batch and it was early on. I'm feeling much better now. I purposely used cheap ammo (UMC 230gr) because I wanted this to fail if was going to fail. UMC is cheap, but actually not too bad IMO. I usually prefer PMC Bronze, Independence or Magtech. The attached target (15yrds) is fairly consistent with how I was shooting (no laser). I believe I could tighten it up with more practice on this gun now that it's functioning, considering upgrading to night sites and using better ammo..The Ranger T's were very good. Even if I don't improve, I think it's accurate enough to do what I need to do to a BG if the occasion presents.

I had purchased a spare extractor, so when I cleaned up the gun, I took out the "tuned" extractor to compare to the stock spare. The best I could tell was there is a slight deflection of the "tuned" extractor (maybe an eight of an inch) over that of the stock. No other modifications were made. When it is installed, however, the deflection is noticeable compared to where it was originally.

It was amazing to be able to run through round after round with the cheapest ammo I could find and all mags worked great. Before I will confidently carry this Kimber, I'll have to run it through another couple hundred rounds without FTE's, but it's well on its way to earning a "carry" badge. :D

FWIW, switching between the Kimber and P239 (.40) was a breeze due to the short trigger on the P239. For some reason, it was a disaster transitioning to the P229, but was quickly corrected each time.

Zander..to answer your question on beaver tails..I don't really notice it when it's holstered in my Crossbreed Super Tuck.

Zander1146
June 3, 2010, 11:35 AM
Hey, GotTheFever thanks for the Kimber shooting info!

Let me ask y'all about Gun Belts and holsters...

I have found two options and I am not sure which one to get.

here are the links to the ones I have found. I am having a hell of a time finding a good, comfortable IWB holster. These places also have holsters too but I am just starting our with concealed carry and need a little guidance...

Thanks all

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Rock_Steady_Belts_/rock_steady_belts_.html

and

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/GunBelts/tabid/58/CategoryID/3/List/0/Level/1/productid/3/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

The High noon site pitches a better product but how can you trust it? Would a gun belt with extra support in the middle be uncomfortable? I drive a small car (Acura RSX 2005) and their is no room for a gun and no way I can carry a IWB gun while I drive cause of my tight seats and seat belt. Also at work I sit all day long doing Graphic Arts for a printing company. I will not bring the gun in to work but I could wear the belt and the holster while I am here. I just need something that is very comfortable and has enough support to hold up this heavy P239 Gen 2 (Two tone). I think this gun is heavier than my Sig P220 Stainless Elite, when I get it back from Sig I am going to weigh both of them and see which is heavier...

thanks all!

Zander1146
June 3, 2010, 12:11 PM
Cool, look at this new sig!

Take a look at this Sig Gun. It is inspired by the TEA party movement! -

http://tinyurl.com/34hudod