PDA

View Full Version : Steel Ak Magazines

AkNorton43
May 18, 2010, 01:36 PM
I typically keep my Ak magazines (30 rounders), the steel, military surplus type between 20-25 rounds full. My question is: will this, overtime, effect the spring and thusly the magazines reliability? I have been told by many, but still would like confirmation, that it is the actual process of loading/unloading magazines that wears the springs down.

-Thanks in advance.
Norton

KLRANGL
May 18, 2010, 01:47 PM
Yes, it is the fatigue cycling that will wear down a spring. Springs will only lose strength if they are stressed closed to their elastic limit for a period of time. Mag springs, as far as I'm aware, do not come close to this.
20-25 rounds is a safe bet, but I think you could run a full 30 with no problem. That's what I do.

Dfariswheel
May 18, 2010, 06:27 PM
You especially don't have to worry about the AK magazine.
It's probably the most over-engineered magazine ever made and was intended to be mistreated and abused and still work.

As example, unlike many other magazines, the AK has a built-in spring "reserve". In other words, the AK magazine could be made somewhat shorter, but the follower and floor plate have a built-in space that prevents the magazine spring from being over-compressed.

If you notice, when the magazine is loaded with the 30th round, it usually won't compress even slightly more.
This "reserve" spacing prevents the spring from being stressed, and this allows leaving the magazine fully loaded indefinitely without harm.

MosinM38
May 18, 2010, 06:45 PM
AK mags are the one type I'm not going to "Cycle out", by shooting my current loads and reloading with a differant mag.

They're tough...real tough....I've only had it for a month, and already the magazines have impressed me as much as the rifle :D

chris in va
May 18, 2010, 09:36 PM
If I ever run out of ammo, I'll just throw the magazine at the BG. Should do the trick.

bamaranger
May 20, 2010, 12:34 AM
Typically, I underload all my fun box mags, even though logic and engineering
explain I don't have to, it just feels right.

I have had the "box" of cheap mags rupture when left fully loaded for long periods. But the AK mag, ........bombproof comrade, though susceptible to rust a bit.

noyes
May 20, 2010, 12:44 AM

http://www.gunsprings.com/faq#Faq5

FEG
May 20, 2010, 01:05 AM
There are plenty of sources for AK mag springs, also. Granted, the aftermarket springs cost a little more than I paid for the magazines, back in the day.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=2&mID=77