PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 30.06 165 gr psp

Savage Armed
May 17, 2010, 05:17 PM
I was just wondering if anybody knew how Winchester Super X 30.06 in 165 gr. Pointed Soft Point perform on deer?

T. O'Heir
May 17, 2010, 05:45 PM
They'll kill any game you care to hunt if your rifle shoots 'em well.

briandg
May 17, 2010, 06:30 PM
almost any factory loaded round like this will kill a deer, and provide adequate accuracy in a well built weapon.

These are powerful, a good weight, and they have a tapered jacket. They will be accurate. Hit your deer well and it will die soon thereafter.

If I was buying factory ammunition instead of handloads, this would be on the short list of what I would use for deer, and the deciding factor among those rounds would be accuracy.

James R. Burke
May 22, 2010, 07:18 PM
I aggree with Braindg. I reload so I am using a Nosler 165 grain Partition in my 06. Works great, and just about the way he said it.

banditt007
May 22, 2010, 08:59 PM
I've used the 150 grain power point winchester (factory loaded) ammo on 3 white tail deer so far(30-06). All shots were under 70 yards, and all broad side, keeping it off the shoulder... ribs in and ribs out. All shots performed great. Excellent blood trail, always and exit. Can't ask for better. However, i was thinking of moving up to the 165 grain. THe reason being is i'm a meat hunter but don't feel comfortable with head and neck shots. And when shooting through the ribs with the 150 grains, the rib meat/flank steak is a fairly blood shot. I'm thinking the 165 grain should reduce this a little, and would be better if i run into a big black bear and decide to take it.

samsmix
May 25, 2010, 04:15 AM
As a former 150/current 165 user ( '06) who has shot about +/- 100 deer & antelope, I can say with authority that:

1. This round will kill deer as cleanly as you can place it.

2. I too am a meat hunter, and this load will not reduce bloodshot. This goes for 180s, 200gr RN, .270 cal, and most any load that does a clean job 90% or more of the time.

3. With 165gr Win soft points you will recover fewer bullets & shed jackets as compared to 150s. It is not a great elk bullet, but better than 150s, while flatter shooting than 180s on deer & antelope. Probably same for black bear, but I've not shot one with it...yet.

FrankenMauser
May 25, 2010, 02:42 PM
The bullet is capable of performing fine inside an animal.

However, I have not had good luck with Winchester Power Points of any caliber and weight, in any rifle. They're too inconsistent to be accurate.

The Remington Core-Lokt is a similar bullet, but tends to be more accurate.

Honda4me
May 29, 2010, 05:47 PM
My experience with this bullet in my 30/06 is one shot one kill every time. That is all I ever need.

I once shot a cow elk with my 7MM Rem. Mag. using a 160 gr. Hornady reload bullet and at the shot the cow elk took off running. She was over 200 yards away and I made another shot and at the 2nd shot she flipped head over heels dead right there. When I skinned her I only found one bullet hole and her heart was literally blown away. My thoughts are that I must have missed the first shot ( hard to believe but it happens) and the 2nd shot hit and caused her to flip head over heels. Unless both bullets went through the same hole ha, ha.

Kreyzhorse
May 29, 2010, 06:02 PM
So long as you do your part, they will work fine on a whitetail. Remember, its about shot placement above all else.

Jack O'Conner
June 5, 2010, 12:50 PM
The intent of 165 grain bullet is to produce higher velocity than 180's but more weight than the popular 150's. As an "in between" weight this bullet meets the intent quite well.

Years ago, I hunted elk in coastal Oregon with my .308 carbine. Handloaded 165 grain Sierra ProHunter bullets were used with great success!

Jack

Paul B.
June 7, 2010, 02:58 PM
Honda4me said, "My experience with this bullet in my 30/06 is one shot one kill every time. That is all I ever need.

I once shot a cow elk with my 7MM Rem. Mag. using a 160 gr. Hornady reload bullet and at the shot the cow elk took off running. She was over 200 yards away and I made another shot and at the 2nd shot she flipped head over heels dead right there. When I skinned her I only found one bullet hole and her heart was literally blown away. My thoughts are that I must have missed the first shot ( hard to believe but it happens) and the 2nd shot hit and caused her to flip head over heels. Unless both bullets went through the same hole ha, ha."

NOPE! I'll bet it was the first shot per your commment on the condition of the heart. I'd almost be willing to bet that the fact that she flipped at your second shot was mere coincidence. ;) The fact that she took off running at the shot further confirms my thoughts. I've had deer do that too many times to think otherwise.

To get back on topic though, I used the 150 gr. Sierra for years in the .308 Win. and even longer in the 30-06. I got tired of so much mangled meat that I went to 165 gr. Speer Hot-Cores in the .308 and 180 gr. Sierra Pro-hunters in the 30-06. Meat damage is less and the deer die right nicely.
I recently snagged a good deal on 500 Sierra 165 gr. Game King hollow point bullets so I'll play with them and see how they do in the .308 and 06 although I think they may be more destructive than I care for in the 06. We'll just have to see.
Paul B.