PDA

View Full Version : Scratching the New .22 Pistol Itch

EdInk
May 14, 2010, 10:58 PM
It's been awhile since I bought a new toy. Well, I have the itch for something new. And you know only one thing can cure firearm fever.

I really want a Saiga-12 but money is tight (paying for my wedding in Septemeber) and I was thinking about a Mossberg 500 instead. Depending on how I like it I may get one, if I think it'll make me able to live without the Saiga-12. I have a slight feeling that it won't be an acceptable substitute (not because it isn't a good gun but because it's just really different.)

Anyway, it dawned on me that I still NEED a .22 semi-auto pistol (because my gsg5 is awesome and got me into .22 plinking and being able to shoot for less than $100.)

My first pick is probably the Ruger 22/45 or MkIII. What are your thoughts on these pistols. Also, I've heard good things about the Browning Buckmark. What are your thoughts on these guns. I've head the Ruger is hard to clean but that doesn't really bother me. So what are so pros and cons of these guns. Thanks in advance for the feedback. Feel free to suggest any other guns you feel could fit the bill. I really need to stay under $300-$350 of possible. (Bud's has the Mossberg 500 for under $275 which is kind of the ideal budget.)

EdInk
May 15, 2010, 12:30 AM
Anyone care to help?

The old question of Ruger vs Browning .22 pistols. Pros vs Cons. Other suggestions. Thanks.

dsa1115
May 15, 2010, 12:53 AM
I have a Browning Buckmark and it shoots superbly. A fantastic trigger right out of the box. The Ruger's are good too.

Brian48
May 15, 2010, 06:53 AM
The method to take down the Ruger has never been a problem for me. You just need to follow the instructions very carefully the first couple of times. After that, it's really not a big deal. I clean out my gun after every range use.

I actually prefer the older MkIIs if you can still find them. The 22/45 is a good gun too, but to be honest, it's the least favorite of the Rugers I own. I just don't like the fact that the only way to chamber a round during a reload is to use the bolt release. This in itself is not a big deal, but because the release is stiff and tiny, it begins to hurt my thumb after a while. You have to "slingshot" mod the thing yourself to correct this.

The Browning is always a good choice as well for another full-size .22lr gun. Although you'll get a lot of detractors, I think the Walther P22 is another fun little gun if you're looking for something smaller. Mine has been very reliable and fun to shoot.

Tacoma
May 15, 2010, 07:04 AM
Your instincts are god. Either the Ruger 22/45 or Mk III will give you the best overall capabilities and bang for the buck. The buckmark would be close in accuracy but pales in cost and availability of accessories, mags and upgrades. Simply put, the Rugers rule in this price range and are usually 2-1 favorites on local gallery teams to prove it.

Rifleman1776
May 15, 2010, 07:12 AM
You won't be unhappy with the Ruger. I shot an old Ruger Standard competitively for many years with excellent results.
However, I have always hankered for a S&W Model 41. Physical limitations have ended my pistol shooting days but, if I could, it would be a 41.

cecILL
May 15, 2010, 08:23 AM
Try to find a MKII. Assembly problems are overblown. Of course, there are people that can wreck a steel ball.

EdInk
May 15, 2010, 08:26 AM
Good deal. I'll be heading out to shop in a couple hours.

Te Anau
May 15, 2010, 10:37 AM
You're missing out if you don't consider a Beretta Neos.They are great shooters and are of exceptional design if you don't want to beat your brains out trying to reassemble it after a deep clean.

varoadking
May 15, 2010, 11:30 AM
I'd encourage you to look for a nice Mark II on one of the online auction sites.

Anyone that complains about the assembly procedure for a Mark II doesn't deserve to own one...

EdInk
May 15, 2010, 12:35 PM
Bought the Ruger 22/45 MkIII. Will give a range report later in the week. If it is as nice as my other Rugers it will be awesome.

Te Anau
May 16, 2010, 11:59 AM
Anyone that complains about the assembly procedure for a Mark II doesn't deserve to own one...
Countless people have complained about this Rugers assembly procedure for decades.Although it is a fine gun,I could disassemble & reassemble my Beretta Neos probably 20 times in the time that someone who thoroughly knows this Ruger could disassemble and reassemble it once.Thats the cold hard facts of life.

PSP
May 16, 2010, 12:04 PM
I prefer the Browning to the Ruger personally. My Buckmark Field 5.5 is amazingly accurate and the trigger is much better than any Ruger I've ever shot.

Either gun will serve your purposes though.

Congats on the upcoming wedding. Have you been fitted for your chain yet?:D

lee n. field
May 16, 2010, 01:19 PM
've head the Ruger is hard to clean but that doesn't really bother me.

Fiddley to reassemble. Get the gun anyway, and learn the procedure.

So what are so pros and cons of these guns.

Pro: accurate, inexpensive, lots of aftermarket goodies.

Con: the reassembly thing.

ausher
May 16, 2010, 02:23 PM
i got the 22/45 i thought it looks better than the browning. expecially with the pac-lite upper vs. the trail-lite for browning. my opinion is based on looks alone lol:D

jersey_emt
May 16, 2010, 03:11 PM
Countless people have complained about this Rugers assembly procedure for decades.Although it is a fine gun,I could disassemble & reassemble my Beretta Neos probably 20 times in the time that someone who thoroughly knows this Ruger could disassemble and reassemble it once.Thats the cold hard facts of life.

Unless you can disassemble and reassemble your Neos in 3-4 seconds, you'd have a tough time living up to your claim with anyone competent with their Ruger.

I admit that it can be a bit tricky at first, but the Ruger really is not anywhere near as bad as many people make it out to be. It can be taken apart and reassembled in less than a minute if you know what you're doing. The first time I broke down my Mark II for cleaning and reassembled it, I just followed the instructions in the manual, and it was quick and simple. I thought that I *had* to have done something wrong, because after hearing all of the complaints and stories about it taking hours to get it back together properly, I couldn't believe how easy it was.

riverwalker76
May 16, 2010, 06:25 PM
I usually side with Ruger on all other areas, but in this case I will have to side with the Browning Buckmark.

I shot 2 bone stock pistols not too long ago. 1 was the Ruger Mark III and one was the Browning Buckmark.

The Browning took that cake all the way. I ended up trading the Ruger to a buddy for another Browning Buckmark.

Great pistols.

ftballgod
May 16, 2010, 11:01 PM
i have a mark I with the bull barrel. i got it from my father. i have grown up shooting this gun. it works as well today as it did the first time i shot it.

i also have a high standard model b. i just got it but this last weekend i put about 200 rounds through it. at 50 ft i can hit a silver dollar 7 out of 10 times. i love this gun. it shoot very similar to the mark 1 but its smaller and lighter. i picked it up for $180 used at a local gun shop.

i have heard good things about the browning. but have never shot one. happy plinking.

CajunBass
May 17, 2010, 05:25 AM
The old question of Ruger vs Browning .22 pistols. Pros vs Cons.

There are no "cons" for either. They're both good. I don't own stock in either company, so get the one you like best.

I'm a "Ruger guy" but there is noting at all wrong with a Buckmark.

As for the "Rugers are hard to clean" gripe. Man, people just want instant everything these days. Read the directions. FOLLOW them. It's not that hard. Yes, it's harder than opening a box of oatmeal, but it's not building a V-8 engine. You too can do it.

Te Anau
May 17, 2010, 10:47 AM
Unless you can disassemble and reassemble your Neos in 3-4 seconds, you'd have a tough time living up to your claim with anyone competent with their Ruger.
I guess that's true in the sense that the people I know who own one just use sprays of various kinds.They get too annoyed trying to clean the right way.

nefprotector
May 17, 2010, 11:31 AM
My first choice would be the Ruger MKII or MKIII, 2nd place would be the Beretta U22 Neo. Why because it has all acessories built in already for scopes, laser or other optics. And it a darn good lil shooter. Just looks weird.

ps
I'm not bashing the Buckmark. I just didnt like the one I had.