PDA

View Full Version : Do some 1911's just not feel right

Tatsumi67
May 14, 2010, 10:02 AM
After a less than savory experience with the GRP last night, I watched DRTV's expo on the Remington 1911R1, and Michael said that sometimes a 1911 "just doesn't feel right."

I've shot a multitude of 1911s and I'm no stranger to endurance shooting, but last night I just could not get that GRP to work, it was too heavy for me, the trigger pull seemed too heavy.

Does anyone else notice that some 1911s just dont feel right?

Microgunner
May 14, 2010, 10:24 AM
My SA EMP shoots well but feels odd in my hands.

SVO
May 14, 2010, 10:34 AM
I own several 1911's. There are a couple of companies who make 1911 clones that don't feel right when I handle them. Just by feel, it seems that the grip frame is narrower or smaller in some way than, say, a Colt. I also think that if you are used to a steel frame gun, a alloy frame gun by the same maker can not feel right, even tho the frames are the same size and all.

BigJimP
May 14, 2010, 11:40 AM
Overall, I would say no - they all feel about the same ...as long as we're talking about 5" guns ...... ( 4", 3 1/2", 3" are way different ) ...

but I do have a problem with a frame that's been "bob tailed" - because I find it slips around in my hands as its firing. The type of grips or stocks on a gun will make a little difference ( if they're smooth - like Ivory ) ...

stevieboy
May 14, 2010, 12:02 PM
There are three differences that I notice from 1911 to 1911, assuming that we're talking about 5" steel government models: sights, trigger, grips, in that order. Otherwise, they're all pretty much the same to me.

jglsprings
May 14, 2010, 12:41 PM
feel is a pretty subjective term.....

all of my 1911s feel the same.... some "point" differently different barrel length whatever..... the triggers are different - target, carry, stock....

grip panels would make a difference that's about all i can come up with.

RickB
May 14, 2010, 12:55 PM
Some people get wound up about the contours of the front strap and beavertail, to the extent that they prefer one brand of beavertail over another, or they want a certain radius where the trigger guard meets the front strap (or no radius at all, and a "corner" where the two meet). More common is a preference, often strong, for either the flat or arched mainspring housing. Next in line is the length of the trigger; they come in three or four lengths. So, if you're used to a 1911 with specific features, a gun without them will feel very different. Stock grips, thin grips, thick grips. Two 1911s can feel very different.

rsxr22
May 14, 2010, 06:05 PM
I see differences in options and fitting but not personally in different 1911's.

Officer's Match
May 14, 2010, 06:32 PM
Pretty much all the rest of 'em after getting my first Baer. ;)

RMA
May 14, 2010, 06:35 PM
Baer certainly does make some great pistols thats for sure (WC as well) both feel perfect in my hands, especailly my SS Wilson Classic.

KyJim
May 14, 2010, 06:36 PM
A couple of things do make 1911s feel differently to me -- thin grips, arched mainspring.

williamd
May 14, 2010, 10:56 PM
I have several 1911 styles but the Kimber Custom Polimer is the one that feels very strange. Even my fat p16-40 feels better.

WESHOOT2
May 14, 2010, 11:08 PM
I started with a custom-built 45 ACP-chambered Caspian-based unit.
I added an old Springfield, but did some metal work on its frame to give me a higher grip.
I bought a 40 S&W-chambered Springfield, but it didn't feel right so I sold it.
In between I'd bought a 9x19-chambered Springfield, and this one got a ton of money (bills stacked vertically for weighing) spent on it to make it mine.
It doesn't feel right, and I'm selling it at a huge loss.

So for me, it's all about the feel of the 1911 frame and how it addresses my hand.

Venom1956
May 15, 2010, 03:14 AM
A couple of things do make 1911s feel differently to me -- thin grips, arched mainspring.

Bam! nailed it. I can't STAND arched mainsprings.

ClydeFrog
May 15, 2010, 03:38 AM
I prefer the arched or rounded style mainspring or backstrap or whatever the term is. The arched style fits better in both left/right hands and feels better to carry for long periods that the flat style. S&W used to offer 3rd gen series(3900/4000/4500) semi auto pistols in either flat or arch style.

For the 1911 models, I agree with what noted gunsmith Ikey Sparks said, "A carry gun should feel like a well used bar of soap." to meld or smooth/round the edges or sharp parts is a great idea. SIG Sauer's SAS format is smart. Why more firearms don't do it or offer the option is a mistake IMO.

RockyMtnTactical
May 15, 2010, 04:18 AM
Nothing feels as right as a 1911 to me.

AK103K
May 15, 2010, 06:24 AM
The flat mainspring, long trigger set ups, as well as the beavertail type safeties dont feel right, and are instantly noticeable. The standard Colt/GI guns feel the best to me.

Springfield and a couple of others seem to have different ideas as to what the frame specs are, and that alone is also usually instantly noticeable. This is especially the case with Springfields. The last couple I had, had the radius's on the grip incorrectly cut, which made the gun feel much longer than it was. The radius on the dust cover was also wrong, and those guns would not fit in the kydex holster set for my Colts.

Brian48
May 15, 2010, 06:57 AM
Any 1911 with a bob feels weird to me.

SmokyBaer
May 15, 2010, 07:46 AM
Been shooting 1911s a long time and had always compared them to my custom Springfield until I got my Baer. The first time I wrapped my ham hands around those sharp 30lpi checkers, it had magic. After installing my arched mainspring, it's a WOW, evertime I pick it up. Have to say, that Premiere II has made all my other 11s "feel" a little off.

As far as the shooting "feel"... the 16 pound springs and 5" slides of my govmint toys give me feedback of it's timing. Can "feel" the slide rolling over the disconnect then picking up a round, tapping the hood and locking. Don't feel any of that with the 3" with the stiff springs. The Commanders? sometimes... depends on how calm I am.

All that said, YES, there are 1911s that have different "feels"... good, better and best. Ain't no bad! ;)

kimbershot
May 15, 2010, 07:59 AM
i have had 7 1911's over the years. now just 2. my "arsenal includes a dan wesson valor and colt compact. the compact is my carry most of the time. the valor-my honey-i may start to carry.

had several trp's--great guns--but the feel just wasn't there. got to a point that i did not like mag wells or the ambi safety. the valor--fits like a glove and is a terrific shooter. others included ww1 1911, a kimber and another sa government.

done selling.:)

87samurai
May 15, 2010, 08:52 AM
For some reason Sig 1911s seem to Dig into my palm. I have a Springfield and Dan Wesson and neither have that "weird" feeling.

Warchild
May 15, 2010, 09:15 AM
Para, that's the one that just didn't feel right, couldn't put my finger on it. DW CBOB? Perfection! Kimber Pro TLE II with CT grips? Perfection! What I wouldn't give to find out how an EB Executive Carry fits.:D

HvyMtl
May 15, 2010, 08:53 PM
Yes, some do not feel right. A 1911 you find not feeling "right," I might like the feel, and what my hand likes, yours may not. A quick look at the 1911 "after market" (to use an automotive term) screams the want of the shooters to have their 1911 feel certain ways, which are different from how they feel when they bought them.

Trigger pull, sight orientation, grips, etc. impact the feel. So, a SA 1911, which has a different trigger pull, and grips, will "feel" different than a Colt.

The great thing is the variety of 1911s is, well, an excellent thing, as it allows you to find the feel you want at a price point you will buy...

And the after market allows you to make the firearm even more uniquely yours and as near as perfect as possible to your personal "feel."

RV4driver
May 15, 2010, 09:32 PM
I could never figure out what all the fuss was about with 1911's.
I WANTED to like them, but they didn't light my fire when I held them.

Then, I discovered the DW Commander Bobtail. WOW! Now I get it! Held it, loved it, bought it. I do like the arched MSH, and the Bobtail works for me. I really do like to just hold the darn thing. Well, and shoot it. And carry it. Okay, I've got it bad for the 1911 now. But the straight grip version...yawn.

That's just me.

Jeff
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p112/jhallrv4/gun/dwcbobflare.jpg

shortwave
May 16, 2010, 09:08 AM
Most all stock, 5" 1911's have felt much the same to me unless mods. have been done. Having owned several, the only changes(as far as grip/comfort) goes has been changing grips to suit my preference. Internal mods. is a whole other ballgame:cool:. The 1911 seems to point and just handle/feel right to me.

WESHOOT2
May 16, 2010, 09:18 AM
For me, I believe it's how the frame fits me, since every brand is different.

Caspian? Perfect.....for me.