PDA

View Full Version : CZ owners/users help me out

triplebike
May 13, 2010, 09:57 AM
Hi all, looking for some advice please. I own a CZ 75B 9mm. Love it. I'm now looking to purchase a 2nd CZ (ALSO IN 9MM) which one should I get? Carrying purposes are not a priority. Any & all suggestions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

stevieboy
May 13, 2010, 10:02 AM
Well, I just bought a CZ 75B SA. It's the same gun as the 75B EXCEPT that it has an all-single action trigger, an ambidextrous external safety, "drop free" magazines, and a beavertail on the grip frame. Not that I intend to do it but it seems to me that the gun could be carried cocked and locked just as one could carry a 1911. The single action trigger on mine is very nice. Not as crisp as, say, a 1911, but certainly better than a lot of single action semis. I honestly think that the SA's trigger is better than the trigger on a Browning Hi-Power, but that's just my opinion.

bamiller
May 13, 2010, 10:35 AM
Have the P-01 and love it.

mavracer
May 13, 2010, 11:31 AM
I have a CZ85 combat I love it good sights and a great trigger
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/mavracer/P9190149.jpg

Captain Slow
May 13, 2010, 12:21 PM
I have a 75b and just bought a 2075 RAMI (non polymer version). I bought it with an eye towards carrying, which you said was not a concern for you, but I still find it to be every bit as enjoyable to shoot as it's bigger sister, the 75.

jaughtman
May 13, 2010, 12:37 PM
look for an original ("pre B") 75 OR 85 - I think they are just a little better made (not to mention more collectable)!

Jamie
CZ85
G19
HK P7
Interarms PPK
Ruger MKI

1911rocks
May 13, 2010, 01:20 PM
A CZ SP-01 in 9mm. If you want something smaller a PCR or Compact or P-01.

Cliff47
May 13, 2010, 03:21 PM
Don't bypass the CZ75 Compact, or if you run across one, a CZ75 SemiCompact (Compact slide on a full-size frame), just for a bit of variation.
You might want to keep your controls similar between the two, just in case.

tekarra
May 13, 2010, 07:30 PM
I like my 75 Compacts a lot and would recommend them. I do not have a Shadow, but read a lot of good things about them and have it on my list.

Average Joe
May 14, 2010, 08:05 PM
I have the PCR and am very happy with it.

StuntManMike
May 14, 2010, 08:08 PM
SP01

seeker073180
May 14, 2010, 08:31 PM
http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-SP01-SHADOW-PolyCoat-9mm.aspx
http://czcustom.com/CZ75_SP01_SHADOW_CustomShop.aspx

i wantie :D

-seeker

aroundchicago
May 14, 2010, 08:37 PM
Here is the 75 D Compact. In the United States this gun is known as a 75 P-01.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/7606/img0895n.jpg (http://img714.imageshack.us/i/img0895n.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

chris in va
May 14, 2010, 09:54 PM
What, no love for the Kadet kit?:eek:

attila787
May 14, 2010, 09:57 PM
Get the pcr you won't regret it.

FEG
May 15, 2010, 12:27 AM
look for an original ("pre B") 75 OR 85 - I think they are just a little better made (not to mention more collectable)!

Not to pick on the poster, because I see this a lot.

I have been shooting CZ for a little over ten years. I currently own seven (including long guns), and I have owned a grand total of eight of their modern handguns.

The Type A 75/85 series pistols don't have the firing pin block mechanism. This makes the triggers a little better out of the box. They are certainly NOT better made by any standard. In particular, the current finishes are much better than the old enamel finish and the earlier polycoat versions. The firing pins used to be subject to breakage, and the firing pin system (not counting the block) was modified several times from 1976 to 1985. The internal finish has also improved over the years (not that it matters much).

Modern CZs aren't "collectible" by any meaningful standard. The only truly "collectible" CZs were made prior to WWII, such as the vz-26. The Type A 75/85 series handguns used to command high prices, but the flood of CZ-USA imports from 2000 on have seriously degraded their prices. For example, I paid $325 for a LNIB Bauska CZ 75 (1982) three years ago. I believe this pistol was never fired by the original owner; the enamel finish is so weak that you can tell if these pistols were ever fired after the testing at UB. You will sometimes see people who paid top dollar for a Type A twenty years ago asking for big bucks, but I don't see them getting their price very often these days. IMHO, you would be better off sinking the money into customizing a Type B model.

For that manner, few handguns appreciate faster than inflation and the relevant time-value of money factor. Most exceptions are popular handguns that go out of production. For example, the value of the S&W 610 has bounced around for years, depending on whether or not S&W was producing them.

I would consider the 75B SA and 97B (.45 ACP) for a second CZ handgun. Type As are nice, and I have two. Still, I got the SA and 97B first.

CWPinSC
May 15, 2010, 07:07 AM
For just general fun, my wife has a CZ 83 .380 ACP. Yea, it's big and heavy for a .380, but it shoots so sweet! VERY accurate and almost no recoil.

N.H. Yankee
May 15, 2010, 07:36 AM
Owning a few CZ's I absolutely fell in love with the P-01 9mm, if you want a 40cal the P-06 is the twin. The gun's ergonomics are excellent and accuracy and reliability second to none. One of the best natural pointing guns I've ever owned.

Walt Sherrill
May 15, 2010, 08:07 AM
Feg wrote:

Modern CZs aren't "collectible" by any meaningful standard. The only truly "collectible" CZs were made prior to WWII, such as the vz-26. The Type A 75/85 series handguns used to command high prices, but the flood of CZ-USA imports from 2000 on have seriously degraded their prices.

I agree with almost everything in this message, and most of what's quoted above, but there is a least one "modern" CZ that is collectible: the rare "short-rail" (earliest) CZ-75. If you can find one in very good condition, it'll command $1500-$2000.

There's nothing an older pre-B can do that a newer model can't do as well, with just a minor bit of tweaking by a gunsmith who knows CZs.

And, with the modern guns there's no problem with finding parts (a growing problem with the older CZs): things like "safety" parts and sights can be hard to find; most other parts are compatible. Old-style slide locks are hard to find, too. (I've got one or two stashed away, in the parts bin.) The way sights are mounted on the older guns makes finding new sights very hard. (Older dovetails are different, and front sights were often staked.)

Like FEG, I've had many CZs (and currently have a CZ-75B SA and 85 Combat), both of which have been tweaked by good gunsmiths and are amazingly accurate and reliable. My favorite CZs, however, aren't CZs, but CZ clones: 1) an AT-84s that was supposedly built by Jim Borland (a name gunsmith of the '80 and '90s), and a Sphinx Compact.

If I were buying a new CZ today it would be either an 85 Combat or one of the SP-01s that had been worked by Angus Hobdell of the CZ custom shop.

A picture of the custom AT-84s followed by the Sphinx:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/WalterRSherrill/CZs/Dscn0788a.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/WalterRSherrill/CZs/SphinxCompactLeft-1.jpg

vladan
May 15, 2010, 12:11 PM
hmm, that sphinx is pretty :)

stevieboy
May 15, 2010, 12:18 PM
I just posted a range report on my CZ 75B SA. I love that gun!!!

FEG
May 16, 2010, 02:25 AM
I agree with almost everything in this message, and most of what's quoted above, but there is a least one "modern" CZ that is collectible: the rare "short-rail" (earliest) CZ-75. If you can find one in very good condition, it'll command $1500-$2000.

I have to defer to Walt, because he is correct on this exception. To be frank, I forgot, because I have never seen one for sale in the U.S. that wasn't all beat to heck. (For that matter, I have never seen a vz-26 for sale here, period.)

The short-rail model (1975-1980) is "collectible" solely due to its rarity. That is, there just weren't very many of them made at all, as compared to the production in later years. From a mechanical standpoint, they are inferior, which is why certain changes were introduced. This is covered quite extensively in CZ 75: Birth of a Legend by Pazdera and Skramoussky (pp. 45-47). In other words, don't buy one with the intention of shooting it a lot. There is even less parts compatibility with current models than later Type As (1981-1994).

Walt is actually the person who first pointed out to me that handguns are pretty terrible investments, with the possible exception of "proven" collectibles like early Lugers, etc. As I mentioned earlier, most firearms barely keep pace with inflation, much less the money factors used to determine return on investments (the "time value" of money).

To give a concrete example, let's assume that someone actually purchased a short-rail model in 1980 for $300. (That's highly unlikely, given the obstacles to importing one legally at the time.) If we use an average money factor of 10% for return on investment (fairly conservative), then that same $300 would have earned over $5,234 during the last thirty years. Even if we use only 6%, that same $300 would have earned over $1,720. If you consider the fact that someone in 1980 probably paid a lot more, it gets really ugly.

At any rate, don't misunderstand me. It's not that difficult to eventually sell a used firearm for what you paid for it. That's NOT a legitimate investment, because you aren't accounting for inflation and ROI.

EDIT: I should probably give credit where it is due, and about 80-90% of everything I know about Type As came from Walt. The remainder came from studying Czech language sources or the book I mentioned above.