PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 vs Sig P250 Compact

Nick70
May 13, 2010, 08:42 AM
Ok, I know these one vs the other posts get kind of annoying, but I'm new to this forum and would like some good opinions. I own a Glock 21 and a Sig P226 9mm and love both, but I'm looking to buy a lighter and smaller everyday concealed carry pistol (I do have my OK carry license). Everything I read points to the Glock 19 (longer track record by far), but I don't want to rule out the Sig just yet. The Glock trigger for me is a love/hate relationship. I love it when I'm shooting it but at the same time (even after 20 years), it makes me nervous to holster/carry it. Also, I've read some negative reviews about the P250 Compact feeds and extractor issues (very few, but still more than I want to see). Sig is putting out a new version of the P250 Compact soon, so I guess my question is this: Are the new P250 Compact's merely a cosmetic change or are they supposed to have solved some of the issues I mentioned? Also, I forgot to include that my Sig P226 is the DAK, so I have no problem with DAO. Thanks.

FreakGasolineFight
May 13, 2010, 09:06 AM
Limited to only those two guns, I'd take the Sig.

If you're willing to think outside those two guns, I'd say that a CZ P-01, XD9 Compact, or an HK P7 would be a better choice than either the Glock or the Sig. All three of these guns are utterly reliable, and their respective safety mechanisms are far superior to those of the Glock.

Nick70
May 13, 2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks FGF. I actually have some reasoning behind choosing only those two. I'm very familiar with those brands, they both have a model that weighs in at 27 oz. or less, and they both have 4" barrels (ok, 3.9 for Sig). The ones you listed are top notch, no doubt about it, especially the P30. The ONLY reason HK is not in there is because I promised myself the next time I dropped $1000 on a gun, it's going to be on a 1911 (I shamefully admit this is not in my collection yet). Anyway, thanks for the response. I wonder if I called Sig, I'd actually get someone on the phone who would be able to answer my question about the new P250 version?

FreakGasolineFight
May 13, 2010, 03:10 PM
Can't hurt to try!

AK103K
May 13, 2010, 06:31 PM
I have both, and both are fine, but I really dont use either of them to much. For the slight difference in size, I prefer to carry my 17. I've been selling off my SIG's of late, but the last one I carried regularly, was my P226. It too really isnt all that much bigger than the P250C, which is basically the same size as a P229.

If you can, I'd suggest trying to find a P250 to shoot, and see what you think. I know a fair number of people dont seem to like the trigger, which I dont find to be a big deal, and actually, I think its a very nice DA trigger, but you wont really know unless you shoot it for yourself. Its really more like a good DA revolver trigger, or just a "light" SIG DA trigger. It is a little longer than some, but its not at all hard to learn to shoo well with. If you dont have it down in a couple of mags, then you probably have some other issues that arent gun related going on.

Price wise, the P250 might be the buy at first blush, but buying the mags and accessories for it might be the deal breaker.

With the 19, mags are cheap, and you can use any of the larger guns mags (of the same caliber) in it as well.

As far as carrying the Glock, its trigger really doesnt bother me. I use a good holster and have never had an issue. I've carried another unloaded Glock of one model or another around the house for months in my waistband without a holster, and have yet to ever found the trigger tripped, so I think its probably more a mental thing than a physical thing, as long as you use some common sense.