PDA

View Full Version : Are the current M&P's better than the ones a couple years back?

7jinxed7
May 12, 2010, 07:32 PM
I had a M&P45 full size a couple years ago but sold it.The reason I sold it was because it had several ftf in the first 200 rounds. I lost all respect for the pistol at that point. So I sold it to help fund my M1A fund.I did kinda miss it even though it had issues.The M&P's fit my hand and point straighter for me than my G23.I've read a few good comments lately about them.So I did put a M&P9c in lay-a-way for my new CCW pistol.Did I make a good decision?Or am i going to regret getting one again?

rsxr22
May 12, 2010, 07:46 PM
Smith makes a great pistol easily comparable with the other polymer giants out there. You made a good decision! Im sure that you just had some bad luck with your previous mp

cw_mi
May 12, 2010, 07:50 PM
Good decision. Now I'm not going to sell my G27, but the M&P.40C is my main carry now. I've got about 400 rounds thru mine now and have had zero issues.

Jack Bauer
May 12, 2010, 07:53 PM
There have been numerous improvements since the first offerings. I have an M&P 9 and an M&P .40, both have much better triggers than their predecessors, both have better fit and finish. I'm quite happy with my two, and have plans to add a couple of compacts in the future.

RT
May 13, 2010, 04:44 AM
Great guns that rival the Glock

Endurance test:
"the gun fired 62,333 rounds beginning on 22-Apr-08 and ending on 5-Dec-08, a total of 228 days, or 273.4 rounds per day."

http://pistol-training.com/archives/998

GaryM&P
May 13, 2010, 07:04 AM
I've owned eight M&P's.
Here is my opinion:
The 2010 M&P's are probably the best polymer pistols made today.
I would not buy a pre-2009 M&P.
I strongly recommend the Apex Tactical sear and striker block for all M&P's. It makes a huge difference in trigger pull.

Leejack
May 13, 2010, 07:07 AM
The American made Smiths are gaining ground on the foreign jobs every day!:)

IM_Lugger
May 13, 2010, 07:26 AM
I brought M&P9 about 3 years ago (MPJ I think) never had any problems with it but ended up selling it last year. I know I'll get another one at some point :)

gglass
May 13, 2010, 07:38 AM
I own 5 M&P's and have never had an issue between them. All of my M&P's are heavily used with the exception of the M&P357, and if any mechanical issues were present they would have shown by now.

My M&P Stable:
M&P40 FS
M&P357 FS
M&P9c
M&P9 Pro Series (x2)

Every M&P thread needs a pic:
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/9929/pro9hst.jpg

LOUcifer
May 13, 2010, 07:58 AM
I own a FS M&P 9 and a sub 40c and BOTH are insanely accurate and have NEVER had an issue to date..no FTF...no FTE...fires first time every time and nobody beats the ergonomics of the M&P either

I got rid of G17 without hesitation for my M&P 9 last year and have NEVER looked back or regretted my decision.

I strongly recommend the Apex Tactical sear and striker block for all M&P's.

+1

7jinxed7
May 13, 2010, 04:37 PM
I decided to dig up my old receipt to see when I got my first one. It was 6/2007. Surely they fixed all the bugs by now. I'm not sure what the original release was for the M&P45. At the time when it was originally purchased the 45 was hard to find. It wasn't even listed on the website until several months later.

Tacoma
May 13, 2010, 08:43 PM
Not sure what has changed but ANY firearm see's production changes. FWIW, I ahve 3 M&P's of recent vintage and all have been 100% reliable when fed factory ammo. You're going to love that 9c. It's one of my growing favorites.

p.s. + another on the apex sear (or self trigger job.) The M&P can have a trigger that is a bit crunchy out of the box.

(BH)
May 13, 2010, 08:47 PM
My 45c has been perfect. I got it about a year ago.

BTW, I know ftf/fte's can be disheartening, but sometimes a gun will take around 500 rounds before shaking off the bugs. I try to be as open minded as possible until at least the 300 round point. So far, any new gun that had problems at first has worked it's issues out with a little range time.

LanceOregon
May 14, 2010, 05:57 AM
I would not buy a pre-2009 M&P.

I have two 2008 vintage S&W M&P's that work just fine. However, they are not the 45 caliber model, which is a newer gun that has not been on the market as long as the 9mm and .40 S&W.

In 2008, the M&P 45 had only been out on the market for about a year. If purchased early in 2008, even less than that.

LanceOregon
May 14, 2010, 06:01 AM
There have been numerous improvements since the first offerings. I have an M&P 9 and an M&P .40, both have much better triggers than their predecessors, both have better fit and finish. I'm quite happy with my two, and have plans to add a couple of compacts in the future.

I got my first M&P in January 2008, and the second in October 2008.

The only difference between them that I could notice was that the trigger pull on the newer gun is definitely improved over the older gun.

I definitely believe that S&W has been fine tuning and improving the gun in small ways since it first came out.

skoro
May 14, 2010, 07:11 AM
I can't speak to the current M&P line, but my 2+ year old M&P9c has been flawless. If the new ones are better, then S&W will own the poly DA only market in the near future.

Leejack
May 14, 2010, 07:39 AM
gglass, that's a beautiful picture of your American made gun!;)

Lee

N.H. Yankee
May 14, 2010, 11:09 AM
I bought mine NIB about April 2009 and had problems with failure to extract, I was lucky to get 3 shots without a jam. Sent it back and they polished the chamber due to tool marks and replaced the extractor. Then after being able actually fire a group without constant jamming I found out the gun was only able to hold 8 inch groups from a bench at 25 yards..

I took the gun apart and took a real good look at things and after putting a light in the bore discovered massive tool marks from one end to the other. I would have thought the repair tech would have seen this since the chamber was the same way? Sent it back yet again and they replaced the barrel. The gun still wasn't right and I ended up getting rid of it.

LOUcifer
May 14, 2010, 12:42 PM
My M&P 40c was purchased in 11/2008 and the M&P 9 is 02/2009

we're at 05/2010 and not one malfunction of any type with either firearm with any type of ammo I've fired out of it from FMJ's to JHP's

Walt Sherrill
May 14, 2010, 04:50 PM
I picked up a used M&P Pro recently (9mm). The prior owner had Speed Shooters Specialties do trigger work and, the trigger pull and reset are phenomenal for a production gun. I traded him a Glock 34 for it, and don't think I was hurt by the transaction. (I still have a nice Glock 35.)

This particular M&P Pro is simply one of the best shooting guns I've ever had, and I've had (and still have) a couple of nice ones.

The stock M&P trigger isn't great.

I think that if I were considering a S&W M&P, it would be only the PRO model.

(Similarly, I picked up a Ruger SR9 recently, and had the Ghost Products trigger installed. Still a bit heavy, but now breaks crisply, with no gunk, grunge, etc.)

pacerdude
May 14, 2010, 05:23 PM
Other than a couple of FTF's from cheap ammo in the first couple hundred rounds my M&P 40 has been great. And FWIW, the rounds fed the second time they were put through the gun.

I would not have a second thought about purchasing another M&P. I love my M&P 40.

Is there anyway to tell the manufacturing date of my M&P from its serial number, or is it just a guessing game?

CRman
July 10, 2010, 09:30 AM
I shot the G17 and G19 for approx a year (shooting league) putting several thousand rounds through the gun. I shot the M&P 40 earlier this year and loved it so much I bought the 40 and 40c. I have now shot several hundred rounds through the 40 and have had zero issues. I rarely shoot the G's any more because I like the M&P so much more.

IDAHO83501
July 10, 2010, 10:02 AM
A couple of years ago it seemed all S&W MP owners were flapping about how much better their MP's were than a GLOCK or an XD, now all of the sudden, the new MP's are great and MUCH better than the earlier models. I hope that Smith and Wesson has improved their trigger and overall fit and finish of the MP. The higher number of GREAT pistols on the market the better for all of us.

psyshack
July 10, 2010, 12:13 PM
I have a early M&P .45 FS. I purchased it new in the box on 5/15/10, S/N MPU2534. Signature round fired 10/19/07. I got a great deal on it! Appears it and two others had been setting in a warehouse some where and my LGS picked them up for a song and dance. And then passed the savings on. Not to mention the rebate. :)

It shot very good out of the box. With over a 1k rounds down the pipe since purchase it's been perfect except for some Blazer Brass that was out of spec that it would not chamber. Ran those rounds through my factory crimp die and they worked perfect. It's not always the pistol folks. Check the ammo. :)

It has not showed any signs of early M&P problems many have brought up. After 500 rounds I started making it my own. Did a trigger job on it. Polished the chamber and feed ramp inside and out. Slugged out the barrel to make sure it was in spec with no tight or loose spots. Did some paint fill on the slide, stipple work on the frame and back straps. Then removed the beaver tail. All it needs now is night sites.

I like my M&P!

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/638/medium/mpr630.jpg

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/638/medium/mpl630.jpg

I don't know if there are any updates for my pistol. But judging from how it shoots it does not seem to need any. :D

vandyatc
July 10, 2010, 11:25 PM
I loved my full size 9mm, and my compact even more. Unfortunately, I sold off my full size to finance my Kimber. I'm in the market for another MP9c, and crimson trace for my old one for the old lady.

I had one FTE in around 1000 rounds with my full size (Blazer ammo, maybe that was it?) and never a failure in around 500-600 through the compact. I like to carry it, like to shoot it and I feel very confident with it... Confident enough to not really be shopping for any other gun as my front line carry pistol. I agree there are other great guns out there, but my comfort is with the M&P.

I'm trying to gain confidence in my 1911... We'll see how it is when it comes back from Kimber (please no Kimber bashing- I really like it, just a minor issue...).

g.willikers
July 11, 2010, 07:28 AM
To answer to whoever asked how to tell the age of an M&P,
The third letter in the serial number is an indication.
The first run was MPAxxxx.
The newer or later the run, the higher up the third letter is in the alphabet.

scorpiusdeus
July 13, 2010, 04:16 PM
I own an M&P .40 and an M&P .40c and both were among the first M&P's shipped out to gun stores.

I had problems with both. Magazine would drop without the mag release being touched, FTF, extraction issues and.... I think that was about. it.

I sent both back to S&W with my list of complaints. S&W sent out labels for both firearms, had each one about two weeks, sent them back in perfect working order and I've never looked back.

I love my M&Ps and trust them.

I would love to have some of the APEX stuff, and may someday, but for now, I could not be happier with my M&Ps.

I'd always been a huge Sig Fanboi, still am, but the M&P is the only firearm to ever rank as hi as my Sigs IMHO.