PDA

View Full Version : Feg PA 63---Lemon to Lemonade

Haycreek
May 11, 2010, 11:29 AM
Many of you no doubt have looked at the Feg PA 63, noticed the low price and the extremely stiff trigger, those of you that have fired the pistol noticed the sharp recoil. The PA 63 is a copy of The Walther PP. Parts will interchange. Since my training includes the Walther PP, I decided to see what improvements could be made to the Feg PA 63, the results were rewarding. The PA 63 was detail stripped. The appropriate internal parts were polished, the barrel is made for round nose bullets, the chamber was opened wider and modified at six oclock " to mimic the colt 1911 setback at the ramp", the springs from "gunsprings' were ordered, and a lighter hammer spring was installed as well as an 18 pound reccoil spring that is an option for the Walther PP 380. The result is a fantastic double action trigger and a lightweight auto with a pleasing recoil . the emty brass lands 6 to 8 feet to the right rear.
Now the Feg PA 63 is a better shooter than the Walther PP, it will feed hollowpoints, and it is reliable, at a fouth of the coast. -- A pig into a silk purse :)

MDS
May 11, 2010, 11:46 AM
Sounds good. Can you explain this?the chamber was opened wider and modified at six oclock

Haycreek
May 11, 2010, 12:03 PM
When you look at a modern 1911 chamber, you will notice that the bottom edge of the chamber mouth is beveled slightly around the bottom from about eight oclock to four oclock.
You will also notice that there is a set-back between the six oclock edge of the chamber and the top edge of the ramp on the frame. The barrel has to be removed from the frame and filed at the six oclock area of the chamber, creating a space between the top of the ramp on the frame and the six oclock edge of the barrel chamber, [similar to the 1911] Hope this helps

MDS
May 11, 2010, 12:07 PM
Indeed, Thanks for the explanation.

Nasty
May 12, 2010, 06:50 AM
I've tweaked mine as well, although it has always fed the Hornady JHP well so have not done the chamber modification. You need to finish it off now with a set of Marschal Grips...beautiful work in a variety of woods.

christcorp
May 12, 2010, 08:19 AM
Exactly which parts of the PA-63 is interchangeable with the Walther PP?

Te Anau
May 12, 2010, 08:43 AM
A pig into a silk purse
I'll keep my PA-63's as they came from the factory.I've never understood the extreme dislike of the standard double action pull.I guess I'm just not as picky as some. :confused:

Esteban32696
May 12, 2010, 09:15 AM
Good deal ! That pistol is one of the few that fit my hands perfectly.

FEG
May 12, 2010, 07:30 PM
Just replacing the springs made a huge difference for me. I haven't owned a PA-63 for many years, but it was the first handgun I purchased for myself (as opposed to inheriting).

gyvel
May 13, 2010, 05:18 AM
Exactly which parts of the PA-63 is interchangeable with the Walther PP?

There are some parts which will interchange between a FEG and a Walther, but it has been some time since I have had them apart side by side, so I don't recall the exact count. Most of the springs are interchangeable, and that has been a lifesaver when trying to repair a Walther, as parts from Interarms got to be quite prohibitive. Some of the internal parts, such as the trigger bar and trigger are more or less interchangeable with little or no fitting as well.

Haycreek
May 13, 2010, 08:16 AM
All of the parts except the grips will interchange. The PA 63 is a cope of the PP.

MDS
May 13, 2010, 10:47 AM
Nasty, Can you give us more info on the grips?

gyvel
May 13, 2010, 10:50 PM
All of the parts except the grips will interchange. The PA 63 is a cope of the PP.

Not true. There are some internal differences. For starters, the hammer block mechanism is entirely different on the FEG, and actually is an engineering improvement from a manufacturing point of view. There are some other minor internal differences, as well. Some of the parts will interchange with little or no fitting, but not all.
'

North Bender
May 13, 2010, 11:28 PM
Saying all parts are interchangeable sort of makes your whole post suspect.

Nasty
May 14, 2010, 08:27 AM
MDS - I have *no* connection except as a satisfied customer, but the website is at http://www.marschalgrips.com/

Mine are the Wattle (Black Locust) with checkered finish...they arrived quickly and fit perfectly. I liked the idea of getting grips for the Hungarian pistol from a Hungarian in Hungary and could not be more satisfied with my purchase.

ps: My Mother's parents were from Hungary...

MDS
May 14, 2010, 10:28 AM
Nice, Thanks