PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Glock 29 questions

IM_Lugger
May 10, 2010, 08:27 AM
I have a G29 SF on the way and already set up to reload for the caliber :)

I wasn't looking for .40 so I won't load it like a .40. ;) So I was wondering;

a) how heavy is the recoil spring on the gun?
b) if I'm shooting a 180gr bullet at what fps should I get a heavier one?
a) I can probably figure it out if I knew the a&b but what's optimal recoil spring weight for a 180gr-er leaving the gun at 1200fps?

jgcoastie
May 10, 2010, 11:25 PM
IIRC, the standard recoil spring for the G20/G29 is 20lbs... I could be wrong though...

If you're looking for some really good carry/SD/HD ammo, look no further than Mike McNett @ DoubleTap Ammo... His is the only 10mm ammo I carry.

I carry the DT 165gr Speer GDHP when I'm headed to town.

I carry the DT 200gr WFNGC Bear Tooth when I'm headed into the field up here.

I have had nary an issue with his ammunition in either loading. I did have an issue with a batch of 230gr WFNGC failing to feed properly in the aftermarket barrel (EFK National Match) I have, but it fed reliably in the stock barrel.

I have a G20SF...

WESHOOT2
May 11, 2010, 02:26 AM
First try shooting some 180g / 1200fps from the 29; don't buy a big box.....:D

Sevens
May 11, 2010, 09:10 AM
Factory standard for G29 is a 17-lb spring. I replaced my OEM guide rod/spring after about 1,200 rounds when the plastic end was showing wear and the aluminum end was chipping and looking marred up. I replaced it with an IMSI 17-lb setup.

I did this because it's my carry gun and reliability is the most important factor for me. That's not to say that replacing yours with a 19-pounder won't also be reliable, just that I'll goof with spring weights in my other guns, but not this one. (I upped the spring in my 1006 to good effect)

This one works 100 percent of the time, so this is what I'm using. My practice load is a warm 150-grain bullet but I've run out of those bullets and I'm in the process of concocting a warm 180-grain load (since those are the bullets I know have on hand...) and I carry the Winchester 175-gr Silvertip.

If your G29 will be a carry gun, you know what I'm saying. If it's primarily for other uses, I'd suggest to start at 19 pounds and see what you see.

WESHOOT2
May 11, 2010, 07:30 PM
I think the 175g Silvertip is the proper choice for most needs.

mactex
May 12, 2010, 05:14 PM
+1