PDA

View Full Version : loooooong double action first shot on my p226

max dram
May 9, 2010, 07:35 PM
I picked up a Sig P226 in 9mm for use in IDPA , & have sent about 500 rounds downrange, & shot one tournament so far. It's a DA/SA, model with night sights. The gun is high quality, to be sure. It's very accurate in single action mode. However, the first shot in double action is, for me, a disaster! I have shot 1911's in IDPA for years and have started to ty other gun classes, (for no particular reason other than to try em'- I think a fully rounded shooter oughta be able to shoot any gun well) Anyway, the loooong trigger pull on that first shot is most often way low & left. Other than that the gun is GREAT!
My question is, has anyone out there overcome the dreaded loooong DA triggerpull that in inherent of this model? If so, how the heck didja do it?

mrnobody
May 9, 2010, 07:38 PM
just lots of practice at the range and dry fire.

Chris_B
May 9, 2010, 07:48 PM
;) Practice with my 1944 P.38 in SA for a while. After that, you'll swear the P226 has a short and light SA pull

Seriously though, maybe you're still shooting the 1911 in your mind. To break that habit, it's the same thing as when you learned to shoot the 1911, right? Concentrate on your technique and hold the sight picture, and the pistol going bang will surprise you

max dram
May 9, 2010, 07:59 PM
I have practiced several times with this thing & it's still really a challenge to get that first shot off. I pull, & pull, go to lunch, get the car washed, come back & I'm still pulling that looooong travel first shot. (I only exagerate when I need to) After practice today, I've decided the first shot is basically a lost shot with that gun- after the loooong DA shot it is a shooter iin SA mode.

Blondie.357
May 9, 2010, 08:11 PM
No, its a bad design.

It's a particularly bad double action pull as well. It feels to heavy and its not smooth at all, and then you come to a very slacky single action trigger.

I don't understand why people like that design:barf:

christcorp
May 9, 2010, 08:17 PM
My 1st shot is my most important shot. Especially if it's against an intruder. People brag about how fast they can shoot and reload. I have no problem taking 1 extra second for that first shot to really count. If I do my job right, then a 2nd shot may not even be necessary. And guess what? More than like, every gun owner here on this forum has a lot more experience shooting a gun than any bad guy does. If they are committing crimes, more often than not it's for financial/economic reasons. As such, they probably aren't buying a box or two of ammo a month and practicing at the range. Not that they can't get lucky with a shot, just that I have a lot more confidence in my self defense capabilities; guns or not; than I do in the bad guy's capabilities. Take your time on that first shot and make it count. If you have a SA/DA and you don't like the pull on your double action 1st shot, then teach yourself how to cock the hammer and make it a single shot. And don't let anyone tell you that it's dangerous or too time consuming. If you practice, safely, you will find what works best for you. And just because what's best for you isn't exactly how some others think it should be, doesn't mean they are right and you are wrong. I know a lot of Cowboy Action shooters who can more accurately and more quickly shoot 6 rounds with a single action pistol than most everyone here can with a 7+ round magazine and DA pistol.

Chris_B
May 9, 2010, 08:30 PM
No, its a bad design.

It's a particularly bad double action pull as well. It feels to heavy and its not smooth at all, and then you come to a very slacky single action trigger.

I don't understand why people like that design

???

Come and shoot my West German P226 sometime, and you'll use this to describe the trigger:

:D

Jim243
May 9, 2010, 08:35 PM
Just qualify for ESP and don't use the DA. O' I forgot no manual safety? Right?

kentucky_smith
May 9, 2010, 08:55 PM
Send it go grayguns and get it worked over, or get a short reset trigger installed. Mine is fine stock.

RockyMtnTactical
May 9, 2010, 10:00 PM
I hate DA trigger pulls on semi autos that are SA/DA. It's way too long. I don't enjoy the DA trigger on my P226 either.

christcorp
May 10, 2010, 01:14 AM
I love the double action on my Sig p220. It's a SA/DA. I wouldn't have it any other way. I will never carry a Single Action only. And I'll never own a glock. I prefer SA/DA, and the Sig is great.

sigxder
May 10, 2010, 01:27 AM
Training issue is all it is really. Shoot it for awhile and you won't even notice the transition from DA to SA. A distorted sense of reality if you talk to some folks. They even advise "get the first shot off to get to SA so you can hit something". Come on people have been using DA/SA guns for a long time and still do to protect themselves everyday. The Walthers such as the PP(K) and P-38 triggers are usually very bad. DA is usually very heavy. So someone who has only shot this type of auto might be turned off to it. If the gun fits your hand and the DA trigger pull is decent usually it is not a problem.

madmedic
May 11, 2010, 05:14 PM
I first learned to deal with that long heavy DA trigger pull qualifying with the beretta m9 in the military. I also owned a sig p229 and got better with the DA trigger the more I practiced. I eventually decided glock style triggers, or a straight up SA like a 1911 are superior for self defense, at least for me.