PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 709 SLIM - Good Wife

CDW4ME
May 9, 2010, 02:03 PM
Our 20th anniversary is soon and my wife went ahead and gave me my gift a little early, a Taurus 709.
She said she saw an AD for it when looking through the American Rifleman magazine a couple of months ago; she knew I didn't have it and thought it would make a nice surprise.

I first removed all the white grease from inside the pistol and lubed it with regular gun oil, before shooting.
I also put a piece of bicycle tube around the grip.
First, I shot Federal 124 FMJ and the initial shots impacted low & left; a quick sight adjustment brought the POI with the 124 gr. loads just right.
Next, I shot a box of Hydra Shok 124 gr. they hit right where the FMJ loads impacted and recoil wasn't a factor.
I finished up with some Federal 115+P+ and the increase in kick versus the 124 Hydra Shocks was noticeable. The 115 gr. loads impacted lower than the 124 gr.
I experienced zero malfunctions during the first 75 rounds through the pistol, using three different loads. Primers were struck hard and cases were ejected a few feet to my right. I decided to quit shooting and clean the pistol; great first shooting session.
Based on my initial shooting, I would carry the pistol with the 124 gr. Hydra Shok due to the ability to deliver a quicker follow up shot than the 115 +P+ and the 124 gr. bullets POI was perfect.

My wife asked how I liked the pistol and I was happy to give her a good report. After 20+ years she knows me pretty well.;)

darko
May 10, 2010, 12:26 PM
Congrats! I picked one of these up recently also. I was wondering about the +p+. I have a box of those also and was wondering if the 709 could handle them safely.

napg19
May 10, 2010, 08:04 PM
Congrats man. Been looking at threads about these, hear nothing buy good and that's great. I need to go to the gun shop and check one out. Does it come with little pinkie holder? It is a good looking gun. Thanks.

CDW4ME
May 10, 2010, 09:56 PM
Follow up report:
This afternoon, I shot another 30 rounds through the 709. The ammo I used was Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+. The Taurus 709 digested it without a problem; primers were hit hard and cases were consistently flung several feet to my right. After just a few rounds, I grew accustomed to the recoil and was able to deliver quick 2nd shots. I like the 2nd strike capability and the slimness. First 100 rounds with 4 different types of ammunition was flawless. This is a perfect pistol for the Smartcarry "holster".

troy_mclure
May 11, 2010, 01:41 AM
i got one for my dad, but my mom "confiscated" it cause she liked it so much.

Jack Bauer
May 12, 2010, 08:12 PM
I was looking at these and thought about picking one up, but already having a Smith & Wesson 3913, the Taurus seems redundant. I've generally had good luck with Taurus guns, even though they seem to get bashed regularly. Never a problem with a PT145 I had, or a 24/7 in .45.