PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with question re inherited Ruger

djchlouber
May 8, 2010, 09:43 PM
I have just inherited my dad's Ruger. Please forgive me if I'm not particularly knowledgeable, but I'll do my best. On the right side is inscribed "Sturm, Ruger & Co., Southport, Conn U.S.A." On the other side of the chamber, on the barrel, is the number 132829. On the opposite side, "RUGER 22 Cal. long rifle automatic pistol. When measuring from the end of the chamber to the tip of the barrel, 6". Sites appear to be fixed. Grip looks to be very dark oak. No rust or apparent damage. Dad said he bought it in a pawn shop in 1955, but didn't remember how old it was then. Does anyone know if it has any value other than the sentimental? Also, do you know where I can find a manual on it for care instructions?

Thanks so much for your time and any info you might have.

madmag
May 8, 2010, 10:11 PM
I will give a quick answer without even looking up the SN. Sounds like a .22 Standard Model. I also own one. This is prior to the MarkI but is really the same pistol. It's the pistol that started Ruger in the gun world. First issue was about 1949....my memory. The grips are probably not original. should have black plastic grips.

Don't know on price. I certainly would not sell mine, but they are not going to make you rich.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Standard

Added. Prior to about 1951 they had red labels on the grips, then Bill Ruger changed to black labels for a while to mark the death of his partner Alexander Sturm.

djchlouber
May 8, 2010, 10:22 PM
I appreciate the information you provided. Dad said the grips were supposed to be special -- making it suitable for left or right handers. And, no, I don't intend to sell his gun. My son already has his eye on it ;) But if it did have much monetary value, I would have made sure it was properly insured. I plan on taking it to a gun shop locally to have it examined and cleaned if I cant find appropriate documentation... then off to the range!

Thanks again

madmag
May 8, 2010, 10:24 PM
My rough guess on value is 300 to 400 range. That's just my guess.

Enjoy the pistol. I have put more rounds through my Ruger Standard than any pistol I own. I mean many thousands of rounds. Still looks and shoots great to this day.

BTW, the price does not really reflect the quality of the Standard pistol. They made a lot of them , so that keeps the price down.

For a manual just call Ruger. They have about the best customer sevice in the industry.

madmag
May 8, 2010, 10:33 PM
I plan on taking it to a gun shop locally to have it examined and cleaned if I cant find appropriate documentation...

Good idea if you are not familiar the this pistol. You will find re-Assembly difficult the first time. No problem after you learn how.

Try this forum. You will learn more about your Ruger than you ever wanted to know.:D

http://rugerforum.net/forums.php

djchlouber
May 8, 2010, 10:46 PM
Interestingly, the Ruger website no longer has a serial number lookup section... at least not one that works. Odd :confused: Oh well, I really just wanted to know what year it was made. I'll keep googling, but if you know of an alternate serial number site, let me know.

Thanks

madmag
May 8, 2010, 10:50 PM
Join the Ruger forum, they can help with SN. Or just call Ruger.

madmag
May 8, 2010, 10:54 PM
Try this for SN search.

http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/PI-MarkI.html

Looks like your pistol date is circa 1957. Does not fit exactly with the 1955 date you mentioned.

Stevie-Ray
May 8, 2010, 11:05 PM
Look like this? It's an RST-6 and the first handgun I ever bought. An RST-4 was the first handgun I ever shot, about 10 years earlier. They're great guns and can keep you busy at the range for hours on the cheap. Call Ruger and they will provide you with the info you need and will also send you an appropriate manual. I recently did this for a 10/22 that I inherited.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/GitchiManitou/100_0486.jpg?t=1273377654

djchlouber
May 8, 2010, 11:06 PM
Well, could be his memory was going... or could be my eyes are going! :D

I'll give Ruger a call. Didn't know you could do that! Many thanks.

KMO
May 9, 2010, 09:02 AM
Hey, that pistol is a keeper. You might invest in the video (DVD) manual for it put out by AGI. These videos are well done, and it's sometimes easier to actually see a field strip or complete disassembly performed than it is to read it in a manual. Here is a link...on sale at half price right now...
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=425785

madmag
May 9, 2010, 09:22 AM
Well, could be his memory was going...

I am also an old timer, for us anything within plus minus 5 years is considered accurate.....we expect more from the younger generation.:D

djchlouber
May 10, 2010, 12:18 PM
I grips on my Dad's Ruger are unusual. I would like to know more about them. Dad said they were left/right grips, but I don't feel that they fit comfortably in both hands. Let me know if anyone can identify their purpose/use. My picture taking is not the best, but I think you can see them well enough.

dyl
May 10, 2010, 06:31 PM
I may be wrong but it seems like your grips are specially designed to fit a right-handed shooter best. Your dad was onto something in that they are designed for comfort/ergonomics. And, who knows what the pawn shop owner told him long ago :)
The picture of the right side of the pistol shows a recess cut out of the wood for a right hand trigger finger. The "shelf" left in the grip on the left side of the pistol is for a place to rest the thumb of the right hand on.

djchlouber
May 10, 2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. I have rather small hands (being female) and it seems to me the grip if perfect for a right handed shooter using two hands. Maybe they are "right/left handed" in the sense that you can unscrew and reverse them? Who knows... anywho, I found a good local gun shop and will take it in for rehab/inspection this weekend.

Thanks, everyone, for all the good comments!