PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory 1911?

Squibb
May 7, 2010, 08:57 PM
I'd like to pick up a new or used full sized 1911. I'll be using it for the range and our club's bowling pin shoots. I simply cannot afford to get a Colt, Para, S&W, etc. But I've had to make lemonade a couple of times when I went to the low end, and I'm tired of taking a chance I'll get one of the good ones.

So, any opinions or advice on Springfield Armory's 1911s? Thanks.

Casimer
May 7, 2010, 09:11 PM
They're good. Definitely not low end.

A GI or Mil Spec is a good choice.

Technosavant
May 7, 2010, 09:12 PM
Have one, love it. It isn't low end.

But, in my experience, the Loaded models are right alongside S&W, Kimber, etc. in price. Unless you're looking at a Mil-Spec or GI model, those are less expensive.

BCOWANWHEELS
May 7, 2010, 09:51 PM
and a very important thing to consider springer carry a life time warranty. there customer service cant be beat. A+++++++

Jermz1987
May 7, 2010, 10:41 PM
I would go with the Springfield GI model. I picked this one up new in box for 500. This is my first 1911 so I cant compare it to others, But it would be a great choice.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/jermz999/Picture211.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/jermz999/Picture245.jpg

WESHOOT2
May 8, 2010, 01:31 PM
Have a Loaded (and further custom) 9x19; good gun (but for sale).

Had a Loaded 40 S&W; good gun; sold (it came in 8th at the SS Nationals!).

Have an old GI in 45 converted kinda to Bullseye; not for sale; I carry it.

srkavanagh6621
May 8, 2010, 02:21 PM
I have a springfield Loaded champion so its not full sized but i love it. Very good trigger and the accuracy is supurb! If you get a springfield you wont be disappointed!

kodiakbeer
May 8, 2010, 03:07 PM
I would go with the Springfield GI model. I picked this one up new in box for 500. This is my first 1911 so I cant compare it to others, But it would be a great choice.

If you shot one without the GI sights, you might change your mind. The GI is great if you just love that military look, but the sights make it hard to get the accuracy the pistol is capable of. The Mil Spec is the same pistol with much better sights.

Nowhere Man
May 8, 2010, 03:14 PM
Quote:

If you shot one without the GI sights, you might change your mind. The GI is great if you just love that military look, but the sights make it hard to get the accuracy the pistol is capable of. The Mil Spec is the same pistol with much better sights.

And the sights on a Loaded model are even better.

Dave

kodiakbeer
May 8, 2010, 03:37 PM
And the sights on a Loaded model are even better.

The price on the GI and Mil Spec are the same or within a few bucks, while the loaded versions are a lot more. Buying a pistol is always a compromise.

IM_Lugger
May 8, 2010, 04:37 PM
I'd consider Taurus 1911 as well; great gun for the coin.

KyJim
May 8, 2010, 08:23 PM
For the money, get the Springfield Milspec. As Kodiakbear said, the upgrade in sights from the GI model is well worth the extra money.

Steam Boat
May 8, 2010, 08:47 PM
I've got 3 Springfield's, the GI-14, Champion and EMP .40. I love them all but as others have mentioned, go with the Mil. Spec. or higher. Unless you have the eyesight of an 18 year old. The sights on the GI models are not very good for competition if you are older or have vision problems, be honest with yourself or handle a 1911 with the GI low profile type of sights.
And don't be fooled by the internet dealers or online auctions, what a lot of them are advertising as Mil. Specs are actually the GI models. If you check the model #s with the Springfield Armory online catalog you will see what you are really getting or bidding on. Also look closely at the pictures if they are of the actual pistol for sale and not just representative ( on file ) pictures.

Logs
May 8, 2010, 08:53 PM
Springfields are not low end IMO.

That would be more like Rock Islands which are also nice for around $400.

Don't rule out the Para's they make a good entry gun.

I actually owned a Rock Island, Norinco and Springfield.

But ended up buying a used Colt and Para LTC so I sold the others since I didn't shoot them much.

Logs
May 8, 2010, 08:56 PM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_53/products_id/62575

Para GI Expert ESP 45acp Fiber Optic. $539

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911TACA.aspx

$420 I like the sites on this one better than the base model and the beaver tail.

•Rock Island .45 1911
•1911 Tactical Handgun
•Black Parkerized Finish
•Manufactured by Armscorp in the Philippines
•One 7rd Magazine Included
•Padded Carry Case
•5" Barrel
•Extended Beaver Tail
•Skeleton Hammer
•Ambidextrous Safety
•Checkered Slide Stop and Mag Release
•Dove-tailed Target Sights with a Lightweight Hammer and Trigger
•Wood Grips

Luis
May 8, 2010, 09:01 PM
I am very happy with my Springfield Armory TRP Cal 45

(Model 1911-A1 Tactical TRP)

http:http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/44787/2866253090103886237S500x500Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2866253090103886237BXWKku)

Luis

vikingm03
May 8, 2010, 10:07 PM
I bought my springfield 1911 gi last year, as my first handgun. Its an excellent gun. Coming up on 700 round through it, the last 200 being my first reloads ever. Not a single fail-to-anything. It seems to eat anyting i put into it, and seems accurate aswell, though i cant really compare it to anything:rolleyes: Ive also constantly read how springfield's customer service is excellent, though if my gi keeps acting like the last 700 rounds i dont think i will ever have to put this theory to the test :D

Sarge
May 8, 2010, 10:27 PM
Here. (http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/awmdata/dot.gif)

Kreyzhorse
May 9, 2010, 08:23 AM
Springfield makes great 1911s. Their low end GI model will be cheaper than a S&W or Kimber, but once you go from their, the prices tend to get pretty close to each other.

Out of their line, depending on your price point of course, I'd suggest going with their Mil-Spec model. That model should have all the modern bells and whistles most people want and should do every thing you want it to do.

If that price tag is a bit much for you, the GI would be the place to start.

cornbush
May 9, 2010, 08:46 AM
I have a 4'' GI Champion, runs great and don't plan on getting rid of it.

LOUcifer
May 9, 2010, 09:06 AM
Springfields are not low end IMO.

+1

They may have a lower priced model...but I would take a Springfield GI over anything Para/Taurus/RIA have to offer

TimNelson
May 9, 2010, 04:25 PM
I love the springers and would encourage anyone to get one, but plan on getting a trigger job.

michael t
May 9, 2010, 07:54 PM
I would get a American Classic Deluxe or the R I A Less money and both are good reliable pistols.

Terry A
May 9, 2010, 09:23 PM
Springfield Armory is, in my opinion, one of the premier firearm makers today. Anywhere. I LOVE their guns and if I had the money, I would own one of everything they offer. First rate, top shelf quality. Superb weapons. You won't be sorry.

simonz
May 9, 2010, 09:35 PM
I bought the GI model and I couldn't see the sights and ended up having a local smith install some King-Tappan sights. The new sights are great, but if I had to do it over again, I would have got the Springfield Milspec from the start. With that said, the GI model is great with the new sights.

simonz

RockyMtnTactical
May 9, 2010, 10:01 PM
Good 1911's for the money. I am looking for a milspec.

orrwdd
May 10, 2010, 10:34 AM
Look at the MilSpec and the Loaded. The Loaded model has more features and better sights than most 45;s in it's price point. It is still a couple of hundred dollars less than the S&W and most Kimbers. It is about the same price as a Kimber with the same features, but Kimber only offers a year warranty, SA has a lifetime warrenty.

If you want to save money, a MilSpec is about $100 less than the loaded.

If you get an SA 1911 with more than a 6 lb trigger, they will do a trigger job for free to get it within 5-6lb spec. My loaded had about an 8lb trigger and it came back with a 4.5lb trigger.

Can't go too wrong with either the MilSpec or Loaded.

Bill

erob3
May 10, 2010, 03:54 PM
I just got my Springfield Mil Spec in the blue box, stainless. It shoots great. It is very tight and will require some rounds to smooth things out but right out of the box it is a good shooter and I love the fact that it is stainless. Check Gunbroker - the guy I got mine from has 3 more and is selling them for $650. Good guy.

168620415 Gunbroker item no. for SS Mil Spec $650 NIB

168276534 Gunbroker " " " for a used SS Mil Spec current bid $300

Good Luck.

BigJimP
May 10, 2010, 04:28 PM
I think Springfield is making some pretty good guns / but the triggers on some of the guns I've looked at recently - were marginal at best ...and I was a little dissapointed.

But if you have a good local gunsmith - that can clean it up a little for you, I think you'll be fine. Worst case - its about $ 350 for a complete trigger job.

mnhntr
May 10, 2010, 05:02 PM
pick up a GI or milspec and customize as you can afford to. Also dont overlook RIA.

Leejack
May 11, 2010, 05:14 PM
I will add this:

The Springer GI model is drop dead gorgeous!

The parked finish, straight up serrations, GI grip panels and lanyard ring make this gun a stunner in my opinion.;)

Lee