PDA

View Full Version : glock 23 problem

madmedic
May 6, 2010, 08:11 PM
Hey everyone. Been reading this forum for ages but this is the first post.

I bought a glock 23 a while back. It's not my first glock, I owned a 17 and a 19. Never had a single malfunction with either, regardless of what type of crappy ammo I used.

My perfect record with glock ended at about the 80th round through my glock 23. I had a FTE. The empty casing was sticking part way out of the chamber horizontally. The extractor claw was to the rear of the rim of the casing, like it pulled it out of the chamber a little then skipped over the rim. I thought it was a fluke, but now 500 rounds and 10 exactly similiar malfunctions later I'm wondering what is going on.

Could this be the infamous limp wrist malfunction? 9 out of 10 malfunctions occured with WWB. have had it happen with both mags.

Before this glock 23 I had literally never had any type of malfunction with any type of handgun. Ive owned a glock 17, 19, and sig 229. About 3,000 rounds through all 3 with zero malfs, the vast majority of the rounds were WWB. When I try to intentionally limp wrist it, I havent duplicated the problem.

I guess my main question is simply what exactly does a limp wrist malfunction look like? Does the extractor usually skip over the casing like that? I was thinking extractor problem, but the dealer claims its fine, and of course suggests the problem is ammo and or limp wristing. But why only with this particular gun?

Lavid2002
May 6, 2010, 08:22 PM
10/500 for a new gun is nothing to fuss about... Clean out the extractor and the gun and see what happens.

Deaf Smith
May 6, 2010, 08:30 PM
What generation is this 23. 2,3,4? Is it well used or brand new?

Was the ammo WWB, new bought or reloads?

Several things come to mind:

1) if it's a well used gun, the extractor may be shot, that or the ejector is bent.

2) Also the recoil spring may be worn out.

3) The ammo. What weight? Reloads?

4) how do you shoot the gun? One handed? Two?

madmedic
May 6, 2010, 08:59 PM
The gun is a gen 3. Bought it brand new. Ammo has been winchester white box 180 gr(7 FTE's), WWB 165 gr (1 FTE) American Eagle 180 gr (1 FTE) and WWB 180gr hollow points (1 FTE). Also fired 50 rounds of PMC 180 GR with no malfs. none of them reloads.

180 gr WWB is mostly what Ive used. Probably about 300 rounds.
I shoot it 2 handed mostly, thats when all the FTE's occured.

If its a malfunction caused by a loose grip, I always assumed youd get a stove pipe malfunction. All of mine the brass was horizontal, usually still partially in the chamber.

A friend of mine also has a glock 23, I fired about 100 rounds of WWB 180gr through his with zero malfunctions.

drrpg01
May 7, 2010, 01:01 PM
I haven't been impressed with the Glock 23.

vladan
May 7, 2010, 04:03 PM
My first guess would be an extractor as well, but here's an idea ... borrow your friends magazines and try if the problem go away with older mags

Uncle Malice
May 7, 2010, 05:45 PM
It's not a limp wrist issue. Limp wristing will most often cause the bullet to nosedive and not feed properly. I was able top eliminate that issue with Wolff +10% mag springs..

Check and/or replace both the extractor and ejector - possibly the extractor detent spring as well.

You can get the extractor and trigger housing with ejector for less than $10 each so it may not be a bad idea just to replace them for good measure. For reference, the ejector on the G23 trigger housing should be perfectly straight, whereas the 9mm version has a slight inward bend to it. (compare you 9mm glock to the g23 and see if that looks right)

I prefer the G19 over the G23. The G19 is an excellent gun and while the G23 is as well... but the .40 is just too snappy out of such a light gun. The P229/P226 is the ideal platform for .40 for me. The G19 is the ideal 9mm.

Deaf Smith
May 7, 2010, 06:06 PM
madmedic,

Can you borrow someone elses 23?

Now this one has a light rail underneith, right?

I'd first borrow someone elses 23, if I could, to see if its cause I limp wrist it.

Then, if a no-go, replace the recoil spring.

If still a no-go, then extractor.

And lastingly, if THAT is a no-go, trade the gun off.

drrpg01
May 7, 2010, 08:23 PM
Quote: "but the .40 is just too snappy out of such a light gun."

Exactly. Unfortunately I figured that out after I bought one.

Deaf Smith
May 7, 2010, 09:52 PM
Oh comeon guys, the FBI uses the 23. Don't wimp out. I have a 23 AND 27. Used the 27 until I found a 26 at a pawnshop with Hinnie strait eight night sights and Bowie tactical concepts grip reduction for a mear $425, tax included.

If I had not found that deal, I'd still be packing my 27 wth Winchester T series 155gr JHPs.

madmedic
May 7, 2010, 10:06 PM
I did shoot someone elses 23 actually, before I bought mine. Never had a malfunction with that one in about 75 rounds. It did have hogue grips and a non stock recoil spring/steel guide rod on it though, whereas everything on mine is stock. Oh yeah I also rented a range glock 23 and put a hundred rounds through it a few years ago, with no malfunctions.

Uncle Malice....So when you had these malfunctions, the spent casing was ejected, but the next round didnt feed right?

I talked to someone at Glock, they told me if I use winchester white box, malfunctions are not uncommon.

The 40 is a snappy round no doubt but I actually dont mind it, even in the 23. I do kind of mind it if you're expected to have a death grip on the gun in order to get it to function properly.

I had always been under the impression that 9mm glocks were the ones susceptible to weaker strength ammo/limp wristing. But I never had a problem with my 17 or 19, even when I intentionally tried to limp wrist them. The person at glock I talked to said they see it more often with the 40's, especially the 23.

I thought about maybe waiting til the gen 4 23 comes out and trading in for that one, since I like the gun aside from the malfunctions, but it sounds like the new recoil spring on the gen 4 glocks might actually make the gun more susceptible to weak ammo/grip issues rather than less.

drrpg01
May 7, 2010, 11:10 PM
Quote: "I do kind of mind it if you're expected to have a death grip on the gun in order to get it to function properly."

That's what I do with mine. Wears my hand and arm out and makes me have a lousy range performance. Put a Hogue rubber sleeve on to help a little bit after I had a jam on the first range trip with a hot round and supposed "limp wristing." It's a joke compared to the effortless ergonomics on my Beretta PX4 or S&W M&P. Out of a dozen different options I could take to the range on a given day, this would be my last choice. Not trying to get anybody in a fuss over this. Just my opinion. I get better performance when I use bullets in the mid-weight range (155 to 165 gr), NOT the light stuff (135 gr), and NOT the heavy stuff (180 gr). The only jam I had was with a hot Corbon 135 gr JHP (horrible round for this gun in my opinion). I don't believe it fully ejected the casing or fed the next round.

Tbag
May 8, 2010, 06:54 AM
If it's a new gun as stated, send it back to Glock and let them figure it out.

dabigguns357
May 8, 2010, 09:42 AM
send it back to Glock and let them figure it out.

If it's indeed new i would send it back as well.Infact i just had my new glock 21 sf break and i called Glock.They sent me an email with a shipping label so i could send it fedex free of charge to them and even covered it under warrenty,i should have it back in a couple of days.They seem to have great c/s so far.

7jinxed7
May 8, 2010, 12:12 PM
i also have a G23 gen 3. I also shoot WWB from Wal-Mart most of the time.If it's not Wb it's cheap Remington or Magtech. I haven't hade any problems like this with any ammo.I agree with TBag send it back to Glock.They'll make it right i'm sure. Don't let someone go tinkering with it and make matters worse.

I learned to shoot with this pistol. The recoil must not be too much of a problem if a beginner can shoot them.:D