PDA

View Full Version : thinking of getting a 1911

OttoJara
May 5, 2010, 10:31 PM
I have been thinking lately about getting a 1911. I am thinking of the Kimber Pro Carry II. I was talked out of getting the Springfield GI by a friend. OK what do you guys think?

EdInk
May 5, 2010, 10:39 PM
You're friend ain't such a friend. Springfield makes great 1911s. I would opt for the Mil-Spec or other model but they are great.

srkavanagh6621
May 5, 2010, 11:03 PM
I have a Springfield 1911 Loaded Champion and Love it. Shoots great and has a really nice feel to it. If i were you i would check it out!

Haifisch
May 5, 2010, 11:32 PM
I would only buy an American made model Springfield.
The lower end models are all made in Brazil.:barf:

MadHatter1
May 6, 2010, 08:32 AM
The Pro carry is a little more refined than an SA GI. It will have better fit and finnish than a mil-spec type gun. Move to an SA Loaded and you're comparing apples to apples. I prefer SAs customer service if you ever need it, but Kimbers typicaly have better triggers out of the box than SA...

PS Haifisch, ALL Springfield framed and slides are forged in Brazil. 100% of them. If it says "Made in USA" on the frame, it means only that the rough forging was imported, and the fitting and finnish work was done in the US.

SmokyBaer
May 6, 2010, 08:39 AM
If the Kimber is in your budget, then check out the Dan Wesson lines before you buy. The Valor is a premium pistol made in the USA and reliably accurate. ;)

EdInk
May 6, 2010, 08:39 AM
Drink the Colt Kool-Aid.
Mmmmm...overpriced.....mmmm.

hdawson228
May 6, 2010, 08:44 AM
Suggest trying the SA Milspec. Great handgun and great value.

BTW: All SA frames and slides are hammer forged in Brazil regardless of the model.:cool:

chupps
May 6, 2010, 08:52 AM
I bought the Springfield mil spec over the GI mainly for the improved sights. I'm very happy with it.

wingman
May 6, 2010, 09:21 AM
Springfield loaded,super accurate, made for my hand.:D

ClydeFrog
May 6, 2010, 09:31 AM
Depending on your uses(carry, duty, home protection, target-match, etc) I'd look at the Kimber, Colt and Springfield-Armory models. KimberAmerica sells the most 1911a1 .45acp models in the US. Many shooters/gun-owners like the Springfield Armory & Auto Ordanance GI or milspec 1911a1 models. The ParaUSA GI Expert has some of the same features, but I've heard it can misfire/jam and the black "high tech" coating scuffs/nicks with ease. The pistol coating wears off quickly too, :(.
If you want a well made 1911a1 .45acp for CCW or duty, I'd pick a model you can field-strip w/o tools or take down quickly. Many newer 1911 designs require tools because of the guide rods. I don't see how that would be practical or prudent in a real critical incident. Even at the range or in the field, you can have a problem or jam that requires a field expedient, "Magruber" type fix, ;). In the late 1990s, I had a minor blip with my NP3 plated 96D .40S&W pistol on a shooting range. I had to tear down my 96D and correct the problem(a tiny speck of metal caught in the back of the slide). It was a 1 in a 1000 type event but showed how & why carrying a simple, milspec type sidearm is better than a $2000 race gun you need a rack of tools to fix.

www.KimberAmerica.com www.Springfield-Armory.com www.Coltmtg.com

Kreyzhorse
May 6, 2010, 11:08 AM
Springfield makes a great 1911, however, I'd start with the Mil-Spec and then look at the "Loaded" model as well as the TRP. Each model increases in price, but any one of those would make a great 1911 for you.

SouthCali
May 6, 2010, 11:25 AM
I have both a Springfield TRP and Kimber Ultra CDP.

BOTH are fantastic! Im a solid Kimber man tho:eek:

evan1293
May 6, 2010, 11:32 AM
If you pay too much attention to gun forums you'll quickly get talked out of a Kimber. Remember that Kimber makes more 1911s than any other company. The odds of people having issues with their Kimbers are going to be greater by the mere fact that there are more of them around. That being said, if you have an issue with your Kimber (I have had issues with a couple of mine in the past), they'll take care of it for you QUICKLY.

That said, Springfield Armory 1911s are excellent as well... and if Kimber's Series II firing pin safety gives you a bad feeling, then a SA 1911 would be a better choice since non of their models have FP safeties.

gglass
May 6, 2010, 12:59 PM
Haifisch
I would only buy an American made model Springfield.
The lower end models are all made in Brazil.

If by "made" in America you mean "finished", then you might have some sort of point. Springfield Armory, Inc. introduced their first 1911's in 1985, when they signed a production agreement with Imbel in Brazil. Imbel has always forged ALL of the frames and slides. Imbel has always fully or partially completed ALL of the Springfield 1911's that are sold. The only difference between the Brazilian and U.S.A. stamped 1911's is who did the final finish on the gun and the rollmarks.

RickB
May 6, 2010, 01:01 PM
I'd go Springfield before Kimber. Kimbers do come in more colors, though.

Scoots
May 6, 2010, 01:30 PM
I think you could be happy with either one. Find one that feels great to you with the features you want, and don't look back.

BigJimP
May 6, 2010, 01:50 PM
You really need to fire some more 1911's so you can differentiate between the different models - how they feel - how the triggers are, etc ...

It isn't as easy as saying no to Springfield and yes to Kimber / or the other way around.

What items are important to you / 8 rd or 7 rd mags, ambi safety, mag well, night sites, what type of finish ( blued, stainless ), what caliber ( 9mm or .45acp are both common), match barrel, bushing, no busing, wood grips, series 70, series 80 gun, high ride beavertail grip safety, a trigger at 3 1/2lbs or between 4 and 5 lbs , or one over 5 lbs ...

At some point you can look and touch all the Springfield models - and the Kimber models - and see what you think. Frankly, I don't think either brand is great - they both have some good guns - and some dogs ....but it depends on what you want, what you like .

DrBundy
May 6, 2010, 02:52 PM
Buy 2 Rock Island Armory 1911's for the price of 1 Kimber, and have a little left over for new grips for one of 'em, and a trigger job on the other.

Just a suggestion...

~A

rsxr22
May 6, 2010, 02:56 PM
Springer and Kimber both make great 1911's, but i believe the kimber model your looking at is more pistol then the GI. I personally do not like the Springer models until you get into the TRP. I will not purchase a 1911 that does not have FGC

kodiakbeer
May 6, 2010, 03:13 PM
I'm a huge Kimber fan, but it depends on what you're going to use the pistol for.

The Pro-carry has a light aluminum frame with a shortened 4" barrel, designed for, well, carry...

The Springfield GI is more or less a pistol for the military enthusiast. A great pistol, but the GI sights don't do much for target shooting.

The Springfield Mil-Spec (not GI) is very similar but has much better sights.

If you want a carry gun, the Kimber is the better choice.
If you're a military enthusiast, the GI is the better choice.
If you want something for general shooting then the Mil-Spec might be the best choice.

What do YOU want this gun for?

Kreyzhorse
May 6, 2010, 05:48 PM
The lower end models are all made in Brazil.

Actually, you can find some of the lower end models that were made in the USA. The serial numbers for USA made Springfields begin with "NM".

RockyMtnTactical
May 6, 2010, 05:58 PM
Springfield Milspec.

OttoJara
May 6, 2010, 08:34 PM
Wow, you guys are great, I do want this for a ccw I already have a Smith 38 snubby that I take in the car, but being a big guy, I feel that it is a little bulky on my side. I like the slim lines of the 1911 and the knock down of the .45. I do want to support the Good Ol' U.S.A.. I might have to sacrafice two guns to buy one nice Kimber with some extra touches but one of them would be a Taurus Judge, so that should make some of you proud of me. :p

Shane Tuttle
May 6, 2010, 09:14 PM
If you pay too much attention to gun forums you'll quickly get talked out of a Kimber. Remember that Kimber makes more 1911s than any other company. The odds of people having issues with their Kimbers are going to be greater by the mere fact that there are more of them around. That being said, if you have an issue with your Kimber (I have had issues with a couple of mine in the past), they'll take care of it for you QUICKLY.

If that's the case, then why isn't Glock in the same category? They have made more firearms than any other manufacturer in recent history, yet the Maytag repairman has probably been busier than Glock's repair dept. There's MANY reasons why Kimber has/had issues. The sheer number of them out there isn't one of the direct reasons.

Depending on your budget, OttoJara, and your desire to have it made in America, there are a few more options. Also, it depends on what extent of the term "Made in USA" you are willing to allow. Springfield does have some made here, but at a legal threshhold. Les Baers are TRULY made in America. You have a clearer definition and budget?

OttoJara
May 6, 2010, 11:02 PM
I am really interested in something "MADE" in the U.S.A. all parts made here by U.S. workers. I am thinking that $900.00 would be my max and not anymore. The 1911 just screams bada$$.

tschmittel
May 6, 2010, 11:17 PM
I've heard good things about Smith and Wesson 1911's, and one can easily be found in your price range.

Huevos
May 6, 2010, 11:19 PM
I always recommend used early model Series I Kimber's. $900 would easily get you a Custom with money left over and maybe even a Clackamas if you can find one. Kimber's all steel 1911's will last forever if they're not abused. Les Baers are fine guns too but I don't think you're gonna find one for $900.

OttoJara
May 7, 2010, 07:14 AM
I think I want to shoot a few b4 I make any knee jerk reactions. I do like the look of the Springfield GI and Mil Techs, but if they aren't fully made in the U.S. then I would rather spend a few extra $ and go with the Kimber Pro Carry II, The Les Baer's are way over my budget, and I am not even thinking of Wilson Cambats.

Warchild
May 7, 2010, 07:50 AM
Another vote for DW, if you can find a CBOB snatch it up, otherwise a VBOB just may fit the bill.

bikerbill
May 7, 2010, 12:07 PM
I have a Springer Loaded Champion and a Kimber UCII, love them both .. the Loaded is my nightstand gun, the Kimber my winter carry ... both have been perfect since new, tho I did have to polish the Kimber ramp once (easy to do with very fine sandpaper and a bit of oil). Would (and of course do) trust my life to either ...

orrwdd
May 10, 2010, 11:10 AM
Tuttle08 If that's the case, then why isn't Glock in the same category?

Because he said he wanted a 1911. Besides, I have tried the plastic guns, and I personally do not like them. The 1911 is slimmer and easier to conceal also.

To the OP: Springfield has a number of easily carried models, some with alloy frame for lighter weight. And MANY models under your $900.00 ceiling.

Bill

OttoJara
May 13, 2010, 10:56 PM
I had a HK full sized 45 and loved that gun but it was just too damn big for anyting other then open carry. The 20 round mags I got from Midway USA did nothing to help. I want a 1911 for the concealability (if that's a word)

Shane Tuttle
May 14, 2010, 02:24 PM
Because he said he wanted a 1911.

I'm not talking about the type of gun. I'm refuting your claim of the number of 1911s Kimber putting out is your excuse that you hear more complaints. Sure don't see people up in arms with others such as Glock. Kimber's numbers PALES in comparision compared to the number of Glocks out there yet the complaints are few and far between.